iPad attached to pilot side panel

MIm20c

I’m going back and forth on buying a Aspen mfd and upgrading both units to Max. One issue with that direction is the lack of a panel mount adsb-in source (330es). 

One option I’m considering is to add a Sandia or similar all-in-one backup which would open 4 3-1/8” slots. I could fit in a surface mount iPad mini or slightly larger unit to provide weather/traffic/etc information to go with my other iPad mini. This would receive adsb info from my hard mounted stratus. 

Opinions?  Too cobbled together?  Unreliable iPad due to heat on the dash?E7500F48-57AD-4BFF-BA91-CFBD5BC21893.thumb.jpeg.32c5bf096eab99a5aafb85de8498dee5.jpeg

Heat issues have all but gone away...

The first ipads were very sensitive... the latest ones are still best when not face-up in the sun....

vertical on the IP is as good as its going to get... being able to blow air on it would help if the sun becomes a challenge...

Plan C may include removing the iPad from the panel until the sun angle changes....

The big iPads have a lot of area for more data...split screens....

Hard to take notes using an i-pen way over there.... :)

+1 Bob’s question about plan B... how do you get to the ground when Plan A has a broken wire or a CB fails in flight?

PP thoughts only... my iPad is floating around the cabin...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

I’m going back and forth on buying a Aspen mfd and upgrading both units to Max. One issue with that direction is the lack of a panel mount adsb-in source (330es). 

One option I’m considering is to add a Sandia or similar all-in-one backup which would open 4 3-1/8” slots. I could fit in a surface mount iPad mini or slightly larger unit to provide weather/traffic/etc information to go with my other iPad mini. This would receive adsb info from my hard mounted stratus. 

Opinions?  Too cobbled together?  Unreliable iPad due to heat on the dash?E7500F48-57AD-4BFF-BA91-CFBD5BC21893.thumb.jpeg.32c5bf096eab99a5aafb85de8498dee5.jpeg

If you did the Sandia 340A or another efis backup, you could mount a Garmin Aera 660 vertically like some have done on Beechtalk (picture below). It's a great MFD for the price, no software unlocks needed. You could have the flight plan transferred to the the 660 from your 430w or IFD if you go that way.

image.png.4484c04c25ccdabaaa15b8a8b2f22480.png

Or you could use a Guardian Avionics flush mount for an ipad mini or even a large iPhone.  https://www.guardianavionics.com/iPad-Mini-Panel-Mount-FAA-Certified_c_30.html

(I have a Sandia Quattro that I was originally gonna put in last year but didn't. I just sent it off to Sandia to be upgraded to the 340A. It will come back with a new serial humber and the new internals and software. I'll put in on Beechtalk when I get it back. If you're interested PM me.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I think the best approach is what works for your workflow. I really like having the ADS-B In stuff showing up on the panel. I have an iPad Mini on the yoke and find it difficult to use it for ADS-B In while it has another primary function, namely for the approach plates. I like keeping the approach plate up on the iPad and the approach procedure on the Aspens. Being able to see the weather and traffic while you are navigating is fine on the iPad for the enroute stuff. It comes down to personal preference and how you use the equipment. The iPad also can be affected by glare. The panel mounted stuff isn't.

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

I really like having the ADS-B In stuff showing up on the panel. I have an iPad Mini on the yoke and find it difficult to use it for ADS-B In while it has another primary function, namely for the approach plates. I like keeping the approach plate up on the iPad ...

This is exactly why I’d like to add another iPad right in front of me. The mini on the yoke is for enroute charts and approach plates. I really don’t like weather/traffic/SV distracting or using up space.  I might be able to squeeze in an iPad Air if I surface mount the unit. The ability to set up each screen differently is what I really like about the Aspen system. I keep waiting for ForeFlight to introduce a traffic screen like the Garmin units.  The real question is could I include another iPad screen in my workflow to substitute a second Aspen screen?  The upgrade deadline is rushing my decision.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

If you did the Sandia 340A or another efis backup, you could mount a Garmin Aera 660 vertically like some have done on Beechtalk (picture below). It's a great MFD for the price, no software unlocks needed. You could have the flight plan transferred to the the 660 from your 430w or IFD if you go  that way.

(I have a Sandia Quattro that I was originally gonna put in last year but didn't. I just sent it off to Sandia to be upgraded to the 340A. It will come back with a new serial humber and the new internals and software. I'll put in on Beechtalk when I get it back. If you're interested PM me.)

I actually tried to snipe a 340 on eBay a couple days ago and was outbid by someone who wanted it more than I did. 

My origional plan was to use the 660 vertically driven by the 50r. However, I can’t figure out a way to make it look good without cutting a new panel. On top of that I’d need to design a release mechanism because the panel above uses the floating panel to integrate a button. I have a 660 on my desk with a 430w interface cable and a plastic flush mount, I might still use it.