Question on GAMI-injectors

NicoN

3 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I had GAMI install the tuned injectors in my TSIO-360 and just the "standard" set got my spread from 0.7 - 0.8gph down to .4-.5.  This was "good enough" but since I flew-in for the day to have them installed, they pulled one of them out and got the outlier to bring back in to get the spread down more.

I think that is pretty typical. GAMI is a nice bunch to work with.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Flowed the same? No. GAMI has tested enough TSIO 360s, that their "standard" is a pair for the front cylinders, another pair for the middles and another pair for the rears. So yes, they are tuned in one sense and standard in another.

That makes sense. It was not what was being discussed earlier. I’m not surprised that gami can get an engine where it needs to be with a single set of injectors. 

While reading through this thread...

And watching the Braily video...

And the commercial airflow bench...

Each engine design has some known quirks....

From varying air volumes being delivered..... down the log...

To fuel intended for one cylinder, ending up further down stream in the next cylinders...

And the video of the air flow bench... discussing adjusting valve lift settings to make all the cylinders equally resistant to air flow...

It would be really cool to be able to improve the intake system at OH... swap the log out for some curvy pipes.... (six cylinder challenges)

PP thoughts, not a mechanic or STC writer...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 4:58 AM, Shadrach said:

What is the benefit to buying gami injectors if they are not tuned? 

My stock gami spread with my 18 year old injectors was over 1 gph.  I've only had them on for a couple local flights and haven't been up high enough yet to do the gami test again but I can say that at lower altitudes the EGT spread has been cut from about 100 degrees to 50 degrees so they seem to have done something.  Jury is still out as to whether I get other improvements as I still need to do the GAMI test.

They do also need to start you from a known baseline.  So, if I do need to a do a swap for a specific cylinder, I needed to put their injectors in first and then they will send me new ones to do the swap if necessary after I do the test.

The IO550(g) is capable of a 0.1gph Gami spread...  any tighter than that, I would need a more accurate FF gauge to know it...

A 1 gph Gami spread is really wide, probably indicating some blockage in a FI or something unusual...

Keep in mind my numbers are based on the personal experience of only one IO550g that was running incredibly well... 

Pp thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hypertech said:

My stock gami spread with my 18 year old injectors was over 1 gph.  I've only had them on for a couple local flights and haven't been up high enough yet to do the gami test again but I can say that at lower altitudes the EGT spread has been cut from about 100 degrees to 50 degrees so they seem to have done something.  Jury is still out as to whether I get other improvements as I still need to do the GAMI test.

They do also need to start you from a known baseline.  So, if I do need to a do a swap for a specific cylinder, I needed to put their injectors in first and then they will send me new ones to do the swap if necessary after I do the test.

EGT spread is not important. The peak spread is what should be of concern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shadrach said:

EGT spread is not important. The peak spread is what should be of concern.

Agreed but that’s the only thing I’ve been able to check so far. The gamis have done “something”. What sort of useful impact they have I still need to test. 

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

The IO550(g) is capable of a 0.1gph Gami spread...  any tighter than that, I would need a more accurate FF gauge to know it...

A 1 gph Gami spread is really wide, probably indicating some blockage in a FI or something unusual...

Keep in mind my numbers are based on the personal experience of only one IO550g that was running incredibly well... 

Pp thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Is that with stock injectors?  The IO550 has the "Alien Face hugger" intake on the top of the engine, correct?

Edited by Shadrach

20 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Is that with stock injectors?  The IO550 has the "Alien Face hugger" intake on the top of the engine, correct?

I expect that it had Gami injectors that we’re finely tuned... the Original owner really liked his plane...

I only had the engine for about two years before doing the factory reman... couldn’t get the time to know what I really had... then logs went with the engine...

the intake looks like a hexapus (six legged octopus) sitting on top.  Continuous curves, no ells...

The new engine with stock injectors has nearly as tight a Gami spread but not as tight as the first....

Wish I had a better answer...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

I expect that it had Gami injectors that we’re finely tuned... the Original owner really liked his plane...

I only had the engine for about two years before doing the factory reman... couldn’t get the time to know what I really had... then logs went with the engine...

the intake looks like a hexapus (six legged octopus) sitting on top.  Continuous curves, no ells...

The new engine with stock injectors has nearly as tight a Gami spread but not as tight as the first....

Wish I had a better answer...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

That’s a fine answer! I have always been curious about that intake and how it performs. Not surprised to learn that the stock spread is tight.

• Like 1

That’s a fine answer! I have always been curious about that intake and how it performs. Not surprised to learn that the stock spread is tight.

They're mostly not tight on the IO-550 unless they came with TCM position tuned injectors. Those typically get the engine close to .5 but it's rare to see better. Better typically requires Gami's which we all understand we can always keep improving on when ever necessary with injector swaps. But With TCM position tuned injectors there is no adjusting or swapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1