Another FNG intro

Paul_Havelka

13 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

So DPE's are just turning loose unsafe pilots who have no business flying someone else for another 50 hours or so, really? 

I would fly with them, and depending on my experience, yes. 

I'm glad you're not in charge of determining hours required to be safe and fly my family, we would have missed out on a lot great flights and experiences. Maybe you didn't feel like you were a safe enough pilot to fly your family for 100 hours, good for you. 

I didn’t say that, and I am not quite sure why you feel the need to argue with what I put fourth as advice.

at 100 hours I thought I knew everything there was to know.  When I got my first type rating at 250 hours I thought I was King.  When I look at myself now , I realize I have a lot to learn about aviation.  And no, there is no way I would allow someone I loved in an airplane with 18 year old me with a fresh cert... but that’s just me and  I don’t know jack.

Edit just saw carasomes post and I agree.  I’ll go no further down this road.

Edited by Austintatious
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

I didn’t say that, and I am not quite sure why you feel the need to argue with what I put fourth as advice.

at 100 hours I thought I knew everything there was to know.  When I got my first type rating at 250 hours I thought I was King.  When I look at myself now , I realize I have a lot to learn about aviation.  And no, there is no way I would allow someone I loved in an airplane with 18 year old me with a fresh cert... but that’s just me and  I don’t know jack.

Edit just saw carasomes post and I agree.  I’ll go no further down this road.

If it was 18 yo me with a fresh cert, I agree with you. However it was 44 yo me with a fresh cert and I'm a much different person than I was at 18. I didn't think I knew everything at 100 hours and still feel like I am learning every time I go up, but that's just who I am, always trying to improve. 

There are pilots I know with a lot more hours than I have and I still wouldn't want loved ones to go up with them, they just have some character flaws that I think lead to bad ADM, and stories they have told of some of the decisions they have made scare me. I have a really good friend who has been flying for 30+ years, but I know some of the chances he still takes and I worry about him. 

I think blanket statements like hours needed to be safe are not helpful. Are there some that need more (sometimes a lot more) hours? Absolutely! However I think that telling all new pilots they need to reach xxx hours will discourage some, and we want more pilots, not less. 

I think a better thing to tell them is what you just said, that there is always a lot to learn about aviation. We should try to instill in both new and old pilots the need to be constantly learning and trying to improve, that is what will improve safety. 

I see you just joined MS, welcome aboard. I noticed you have a thread asking about tax advice on a purchase. Consider starting a thread to introduce yourself so everyone can get to know you better. 

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Gents,

There is a time to discuss the horrible outcomes that life has to offer...

And a time to celebrate the reality of piloting a single engine Mooney airplane...

It's the old, "Flying has risks. The risk factors I choose to accept are reasonable. Acceptance of other risk factors is stupid."

Sigh. May not have been intended, but it came across that way.

Edited by midlifeflyer

A lot of good advice and personal guidelines/rules have been listed above. My instructor and I were talking about night flying and he made a remark that will stick with me forever. “In a single that has an engine out at night you have 2 options. Turn on your landing light and if you don’t like what you see then turn it off.”

So a little background about me. I work offshore in the oilfield in middle management for the largest oilfield service company in the world(if you’re curious just google it.  Colors are blue and white.). I’m on a facility that is owned by a big oil producer that had a big spill several years back when a rig had a blowout and caught fire. That being said, we don’t do any task without a permit to work and a task risk assessment and risk mitigation plan. My plan is to treat flying the same way. Assess the risks and mitigate what can be and if the risk is still too great then it’s no wheels up for this guy until the residual risk is acceptable. 

• Like 4

Nothing like drawing on real life experiences to form the basis of your own risk analysis...

Trans-Ocean (RIG) was the drill rig guys (Deep Water Horizon)... pressed by their customer (BP) to finish the drilling sooner...

Time is money... the sooner the drilling gets finished, the faster the customer starts making money....

We learned about well pressure, drilling mud, and what happens when all hell breaks out.... CNBC was covering the story each day, a week before the accident.... the financial scale of the project was record breaking...

Lesson For the new Mooney pilot... don’t rush greatness...

Waiting a day can make all the difference.

Nothing screws up a good investment, like a self induced fire...

PP thoughts only, not a bitter investor in dead dinosaurs.... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

@carusoam, having first and secondhand knowledge of that failure plus many other less serious ones, every indication was there for someone to call an all stop. The oilfield is very similar to aviation in that all of our safety rules are written in blood and all of our standard work instructions were preceded by shortcuts or human factors. 

Time is definitely money. Non productive time on some of the facilities can be $80k an hour!  My facility is a combo drilling/production that was accidentally ESD’d last time I was out there and resulted in hard shut ins that took approximately 36 hours to get everything back to where it was. We produce about 80,000 barrels of oil and roughly 19 million cubic feet of gas per day. The guy that caused the shut down kept his job and the company reiterated that we’re all human and make mistakes but so long as we learn from ours and others then that’s all they can ask of us. Smart people learn from their mistakes. Brilliant people learn from the mistakes of others. 

• Like 2