Flying into CYTZ. Anyone been before?

Dan

Haven't flown in there myself, but have done lots of flying in Canada...

The AOPA put together a nice guide: http://www.aopa.org/members/pic/intl/canada/ and http://www.aopa.org/members/files/travel/canada/toc.html

If you don't have the TSA Decal, you should order it now since it takes about 2 weeks. For the radio station license, I've never heard of them checking, but you can print off a temporary one without sending in payment from the FCC's website.

If you haven't flown in Canada before, a few things to note:

- Flying about 12,500ft requires an IFR or CVFR (Controlled VFR) clearance

- The standard circuit (Canadian for traffic pattern) requires crossing mid-field on the upwind side 1000ft above aerodrome eleveation.

- A lot of uncontrolled aerodomes have MF's (Mandatory Frequencies) which require use including position reports 5 minutes before landing.

- A VFR or IFR flight plan is required on all flights over 25nm from the departure aerodrome.

For CYTZ specificallly, it has a curfew from 11pm till 6am with the ferry not operating overnight (so make sure you don't forget anything in the airplane). I've heard good things about Porter FBO on the field. Once you take the ferry to downtown Toronto, there are plenty of good public transportation options.

Have a good trip!

-Andrew

Dan:

City Centre is a very nice airport.  Almost like Meigs Field in Chicago, but with a ferry for the 50 yards between the island and the mainland.  Its main FBO is Porter Airlines and you will find them OK.  Not a lot of hanger space but tie downs are available.  Cost is about $25.00 per night.

Nice approaches over the water, but you should be aware of the noise restricted areas.

• 4 years later...

Flying to CYTZ is no really no different than flying in the USA. There is a noise sensitive area beside the airport, it is shown in the Canada Flight Supplement on Fore Flight.

Porter Airlines flys in and out with a fleet of Q400's, so it can be busy at times. 

You'll have to arrange clearing customs by calling CanPass @ 1-888-226-7277, you may or may not be met in person by a customs officer.  Can Pass will give you a clearance number, record this as your proof that you cleared.

Dont forget you also have to file your E-Apis both leaving the USA and returning.

Clarence

I flew into Toronto to go to the hockey hall of fame, I'd consider what Andrew mentions above. An absolutely beautiful landing site, Toronto is also gorgeous, i had difficulty with the authorities in the US, I checked in at KIAG, they messed up my two hour notification somehow and had me circling Niagra falls for 30+ minutes, the agent was quite pissed, had no problems in Ca but as usual the US can be difficult when one messes up somebody's lunch. Enough said here.

On April 22, 2016 at 2:13 AM, IrishTiger said:

I was born in Toronto and grew up there until I was 7, then I moved to Atlanta with my family. I'm a US citizen, and by default, a Canadian one as well. 

This means you should be running for President.

• Like 1

On April 23, 2016 at 9:25 PM, yvesg said:

I was on top of the CN tower overlooking the airport last Sunday. Here is a picture.

Yves

image.jpeg

One of the really nice things is flying orbits around the CN Tower, downtown Toronto and the Rogers Centre when the roof is open.  No TFR's to limit the view.

Clarence

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

One of the really nice things is flying orbits around the CN Tower, downtown Toronto and the Rogers Centre when the roof is open.  No TFR's to limit the view.

Clarence

Sorry, Clarence, I'm not buying that your 400hp is enough to put you in orbit, no matter what you say. :)

I've been there a few times since my reply way back from 2011.

Curfew from 2300 to 0645. Landing fee doubles from 2200 to 2300. Ferry runs from 0515 to 0007.

Landing fee for pistons is $14.70 (they'll send you a bill in the mail): https://www.portstoronto.com/Airport/For-Pilots/Landing-Fees.aspx

Porter FBO was $35/night last I was there. That may have changed, so call to check: https://www.flyporter.com/About/Porter-FBO?culture=en-CA

If you're staying longer, you may want to consider Buttonville airport and renting a car, it's much cheaper: http://www.torontoairways.com/private-jet-aircraft/

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Andrew

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was there a couple of weeks ago.  I have a video of the approach in the video section of MS.  

My IFR routing from KERI (erie, PA) was keri mypal cytz -on the return it was cytz direct keri 

No surprises.  Very easy to work in between the air carrier traffic.   Porter was very easy to work with.  No charge for just a quick turnaround.  There is now an underground fennel that connects with the city, so no ferry ride needed.  

It was my first trip with CANPASS and the did elect to meet us at the plane.  It was painless.

I'm happy to answer an specific questions you may have.

image.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Hello from Sunny Toronto!  Very cool island airport just one mile from the ball field.  You don't even need a car.  There's a tunnel from the island to the city then just walk over.  AND seats are less than half of what they would cost for a big market team in the US.  We saw the redsox-jays in some pretty good seats.

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Did Porter ever win their battle to extend the runway? Porter is one of my favourite airlines. I hope they expand to CRJ’s soon and expand their footprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do like CYTZ, but the fees there are ridiculous. More to park there than at Teterboro. Seems like the norm for a lot of Canadian larger airports (Quebec City was also crazy, but luckily I discovered CNV9).

There is another FBO outside of Porter (Stolport) which has slightly less fees, I usually park there if I'm coming and departing same day.