Aux fuel tank

In the middle of trying to annual a Mite, and discovered that there is no drain on the aux fuel tank. Does anyone out there have a drawing 1049 for the factory installed aux tank. If you own a Mite, could you look under the cockpit to see if you have a drain? I am struggling with returning the AC to service without a drain.

Welcome aboard, Delaney.

While we await the knowledge of somebody in the know....

I’m going to invite a mechanic I know, to at least, see your question...

@M20Doc  the doc knows Mooneys, and has a Mite....

When you get a chance, you may want to add some detail to your avatar...

Best regards,

-a-

My Mite doesn’t have the auxiliary tank so I can’t answer your question directly.  My main tank doesn’t have a drain either, but it will have when the restoration is completed.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

I’ve looked through my IPC, it only shows the main fuel system not the auxiliary system. If there is a fitting on the bottom of the tank I would think adding a drain shouldn’t be a problem.

Clarence

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Delaney,

click on your name, where your post is... that will bring you to some form of home page for you... you can add a pic, and some detail regarding your plane and your home drome....

And... thanks Doc, that was quick! :)

Best regards,

-a-

Just back from walking the dog with my young pilot daughter, and saw the message.

Clarence

Thank you for your time. The fuel pump and current plumbing pretty much occupies the whole inspection hole. Any changes to the configuration will require that the tank come out of the airframe. Drawing 1049 should show if any factory drains were installed and how. A copy will show up sooner or later.

cheers,

g

If anyone has access to the drawing #1049, I would be happy to pay for a copy. I have found it at the Smithsonian NASM, but it will take a month to get it out of their archives and deal with them through USPS. Short of deleting the aux tank or welding a bung on the base, I am running out of options. I wish I had discovered the lack of a drain in the aux tank earlier in the annual process.

The tank is out and there is a quick drain on the bottom. The location of the drain(full forward) made it impossible to use as it was in a completely closed wood compartment. I am moving the drain 7 inches to the rear where it will be accessible via an inspection cover.

Thank you for your help, and if there is anything that I can help you with; please call on me. 

• Like 1

Not actually moving the tank - it will go back into the same hole. I am moving the bung for the quick drain rear ward by 7 inches. That puts the quick drain right in the middle of the fuel pump inspection hole. All is well again - now if I just get the stall warning horn to blow!! I enjoy working on vintage aircraft, but a current wiring diagram would be helpful?? But then, it probably would not come close to matching what is behind the panel.

The majority of planes that I work on are about the same age as me, only I am in better shape?? This customer has a beautiful '46 PA-12 that  was born the same year as me. I stay fairly busy in my "retirement".

• Like 1