WeatherSpork

N6018Q

Best $80 I’ve spent since starting to fly xcountry! I needed to bring my plane to Longview, Tx for an annual. A front passed through on Friday night, and there was a secondary system following it. The Route Profile with the ETD in 1/2 hour increment feature allowed me to leave in a very narrow window (VFR) and fly 350 nm with no problems whatsoever. The wealth of information all in 1 window was accurate and amazing. No looking at 6 hour blocks and switching back and forth between windows was great. IMHO WeatherSpork is the best weather tool I’ve ever tried.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I couldn’t agree more great wx product, Scott continues to improve it..his book on weather is great also unfortunately I got mine before the ebook came out and they didn’t seem to offer those who bought the paperback an e book at a discounted price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danb said:

I couldn’t agree more great wx product, Scott continues to improve it..his book on weather is great also unfortunately I got mine before the ebook came out and they didn’t seem to offer those who bought the paperback an e book at a discounted price.

Dan,

Thanks. I sent out an email to everyone who purchased a physical book to add the ebook for $39.95. Did you check your spam folder? If not check your private message in a little bit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, N6018Q said:

Best $80 I’ve spent since starting to fly xcountry! I needed to bring my plane to Longview, Tx for an annual. A front passed through on Friday night, and there was a secondary system following it. The Route Profile with the ETD in 1/2 hour increment feature allowed me to leave in a very narrow window (VFR) and fly 350 nm with no problems whatsoever. The wealth of information all in 1 window was accurate and amazing. No looking at 6 hour blocks and switching back and forth between windows was great. IMHO WeatherSpork is the best weather tool I’ve ever tried.

Wonderful feedback!  It's extra nice when the weather cooperates with the app.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bradp said:

Scott - the spork is great.  Really useful layout.  Wondering if it would it be possible to be able to toggle TAF interspersed with the MOS for the grid/map forecast- sometimes the human touch is useful.  

Just as some background...

Everywhere a TAF exists, there's a MOS available, but not the other way around.  But we are proposing to add the capability to have a switch such that TAFs take precedence over MOS where they are available.  The biggest difficulty with TAFs is they have "temporary" conditions.  So, technically we could always account for the worse conditions forecast.  Of course, temporary conditions could mean temporarily better for the temporary period of time, as well.  There's some complexity there that needs to be considered.

Exactly that’s what I was thinking - a toggle switch to put TAF ahead of MOS where one exists.  The tempo thing adds a bunch of algorithmic complexity. You could potentially make a way to graphically represent best case forecasted and worse case forecasted for each station / waypoint.  Makes the program a lot more complex though.  

18 minutes ago, bradp said:

Exactly that’s what I was thinking - a toggle switch to put TAF ahead of MOS where one exists.  The tempo thing adds a bunch of algorithmic complexity. You could potentially make a way to graphically represent best case forecasted and worse case forecasted for each station / waypoint.  Makes the program a lot more complex though.  

Yeah, I'm not as worried as much about the programmatic aspects; it's the user experience complexity that can be challenging.   And I am trying hard to minimize the number of preference settings in the app.  Those always confuse users.   Some apps go crazy with settings.  At the moment we are going to treat these kinds of things like "attributes" for a particular overlay...that way, they stay with the overlay and are easy to remember where they are located and what they are used for.