Garmin GDL52R

larryb

I thought I'd post a bit about my newly installed Garmin GDL52R.

I previously had a GXM40 puck attached to my 796 for XM audio. And I had a GDL69 (not69A) that came with the plane that gave me XM datalink weather to my GTN's. I was having a lot of trouble with the GXM40 and the satellite signal strength. Lots of audio dropouts. This depends somewhat on where I put the puck. There appears to be something in the panel that interferes with the XM signal. The GXM40 worked fine outside the cockpit.  The GDL69 was fine but it didn't display on the big screen devices, only on my GTN650's.

The plan was to remove both the GXM40 and the GDL69 and replace them with the GDL52R. I don't like a bunch of things on the glareshield (another strike against the GXM40) so I elected for the remote version. A bonus here is I can used the existing external GDL69 XM antenna for the GDL52R.  I was also able to use existing GDL69 wiring for the RS232 and audio connections. I have a GTX345 ADSB transponder, but I figured that an extra ADSB receiver in the GDL52R makes a good backup. The GDL52R has an RS232 hardwired connection to the 796 and does bluetooth to my iPad. Both also use bluetooth to connect to the GTX345. 

A big benefit of the new setup is to be able to use the newer SXM weather subscriptions compared to the legacy XM products. 

I flew the first trip with the new setup yesterday and so far so good. Rock solid SXM signal strength, no audio dropouts, and I'm liking the new weather products on both the iPad and 796.

Larry

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Larry,

I bought the GLD52R last year to take advantage of the rebate but have not installed it yet.  I agree about the clutter on the glareshield but I'm not good about keeping other devices charged so this seemed like a good solution.

Couple questions:

Can you PM me a picture of where you put the GPS/XM antenna.  I'm running out of space on top and can't comply with the "3.3' from other antenna" guidance Garmin gives.  It might help to see how someone else did it.  

Are you able to get the ADSB-in and weather data to any of the panel mounted displays?  I know I can get it on my ipad but not sure about the other gizmos.

Thanks,

August

I reused the XM antenna that fed my GDL69. I have that, 2 gps antennas and 2 Aspen RSMs. When I had my Aspens installed space was a problem and the shop moved one of my com antennas to the belly. Because I connect the GDL to a 796 I didn’t need the GDL GPS antenna. I’ll take a pic next time I am at the airport.

The GDL only displays on non-certified equipment. In my case that is a panel mounted 796 and yoke mounted iPad mini.

I’m also thinking about a GDL 52 vs a GDL 52R

Current setup is an aera 660 for MFD.  I have a GDL69 that goes to a flight stream 210 that will display on a iPad but not the aera 660 or my WAAS box.  

If I did a remote mount I’d have two concerns. 1) Bluetooth signal from the empennage and 2) antennas. I could easily swap the current xm antenna but I’d still need to mount a GPS antenna and an ADSB antenna... I already have enough warts growing from the top of my fuselage hat I’d be very hesitant to drill two new antennas  

Alternatively I was thinking I could blind mount a GDL52 regular and hard wire it to power and the aera 660 on a fabricated shelf just under the glareshield.  Benefits would be I have plenty of room behind the panel now, could use existing connections (quick and easy), could use the smaller / portable antennas under the glareshield, and would have the benefit of the backup battery so long as the auto-shutdown functions properly. 

11 minutes ago, bradp said:

I’m also thinking about a GDL 52 vs a GDL 52R

Current setup is an aera 660 for MFD.  I have a GDL69 that goes to a flight stream 210 that will display on a iPad but not the aera 660 or my WAAS box.  

If I did a remote mount I’d have two concerns. 1) Bluetooth signal from the empennage and 2) antennas. I could easily swap the current xm antenna but I’d still need to mount a GPS antenna and an ADSB antenna... I already have enough warts growing from the top of my fuselage hat I’d be very hesitant to drill two new antennas  

Alternatively I was thinking I could blind mount a GDL52 regular and hard wire it to power and the aera 660 on a fabricated shelf just under the glareshield.  Benefits would be I have plenty of room behind the panel now, could use existing connections (quick and easy), could use the smaller / portable antennas under the glareshield, and would have the benefit of the backup battery so long as the auto-shutdown functions properly. 

The GDL 5xr units use the internal 660 gps. You could mount the unit behind the dash for easier connections and better reception. The only antenna I would add (for the 50r) is the cheap dme type. 

The main reason to use the remote mount units is the more durable connections. I’ve heard the 39 connections are very delicate, not sure about the 50 units. 

Edited by MIm20c

I bought both a GDL52 and GDL52R to play around with.  (Can't help myself sometimes).

For some reason my 660 does not 'auto connect' even though I have that option ticked in the setup.  Have to go to BT every time to do it.

I had a combined GPS/XM antenna on the shelf, but it needed an antennuator to get the output specs to match the GDL52R requirement.  I used on the the 'cats whisker' antennas (slightly different length to transponder antenna).  Thanks to Dave Medin for all his pre-made antenna cables and antenna advice.  He's my 'go to guy' for pre-made antenna cables at very reasonable prices.  PM for details.

There are several reasons for the 52R over the 52:

1) get the cables out the cockpit and obstacles off the glare shield.

2) better reception with top and bottom mount antennas

3) solid base for AHARS

I tried the BT around the house, and it works well (even at 40'), so I suspect that if you mount it on the rear avionics shelf 'looking through' plastic, it should be fine.  But I'm hardwiring to audio panel, and 660 / 796.

I love my XM music subscription, can't do without it.

So far, no regrets.

You could of course 'hard mount' the 52, and run inexpensive antennas to suitable locations.  

Aerodon

IMG_8398.JPG

IMG_8422-2.JPG

IMG_8497.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 9:53 AM, Aerodon said:

I had a combined GPS/XM antenna on the shelf, but it needed an antennuator to get the output specs to match the GDL52R requirement.  I used on the the 'cats whisker' antennas (slightly different length to transponder antenna).  

Can you comment on how you knew you needed the attenuator? I see no way to see the actual SXM signal strength at the GDL52R.  The only indication is a 3-bar signal strength meter like a cellphone.  I also don't see any specs or guidance in the GDL52R install manual.

Larry, pg 3.3 & 3.4 deal with the specs for non-Garmin antennas.  The GPS needs 1-25dB 40 max gain.  The XM says 24dB max, with a note to add attenuation for each dB above this.  I had a CI401-460 on the shelf (A $900 antenna) which has 27-35dB GPS gain and 26-30 dB XM gain.  So with about 3dB loss in the cable and connectors, I added a 3dB attenuator.  It's a special kind that allows the 5v to pass through, and cost $104.  Aerodon

Thanks. I am using the GA55 that was previously used with my GDL69. That antenna has a gain of 25 db. I thought maybe you had a way to see a diagnostic page inside the GDL52R and see the actual received signal vs. a theoretical calculation. 

For the ADSB antenna I'm using a Ted monopole transponder antenna mounted underneath the fiberglass belly pan. I was surprised to find that I received ADSB ground stations even while on the ground.