Glass: Tint or no-tint?

FloridaMan

24 minutes ago, FloridaMan said:

Every time I fly my F I think about how nice the view is out of it. The Rocket has tint and I'm thinking about replacing it with clear. The concern is that I often fly up in the flight levels in it and that UV radiation may be much more intense up there. 

Thoughts?

Don’t do it.  I had the old, original green tint and had the same thought as you.  I didn’t like that colors were slightly lost to the tint.  So, when it came time to replacing the glass, I went with clear.  Well, I was living at Georgia at the time and regretted it almost immediately.  That little amount of tint seems to make a substantial difference in solar heating and UV protection.  Even up here in CT, I regret it.  I have added tint to the rear windows, but wish I had a light tint in front.  If I had it to over again, I would go with light grey all around.  I admit, the view during leaf season in New England is slightly better, but not worth the extra heat which you will suffer from year round when in direct sun. 

• Like 4

It’s possible you don’t remember the old cars of the 60s.... frying in the back of mom’s stationwagon....

I know I forgot the experience... until I had the same question...

I replaced one window, in the door, with clear... and changed it out about a week later....

Green house, hot house, and other names come to mind...

I couldn’t tell what color the original glass was... it looked grayish.... it turns out it was the original green color that was highly aged to no look very green...

So... go light gray to look modern...original green if you are taking your time to replace one window per financial quarter.... or dark gray if you are in the south flying in daylight all the time...

Opt for the second openable window in the copilot side... might be helpful if the door handle falls off....

PP thoughts only, not a window expert...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

I hated the original green/blue tinted windows, and when I replaced mine went with clear.

I love the view but the sun is brutal. If I had to do it again I would go for a UV protectant tint, but without the annoying color.. like a neutral gray. I think that was an option when I did my windows. I would do this at least for the side windows, for the wind screen, I'd probably go clear again.

Edited by Immelman
  • Like 1

We replaced the side windows that were blue/green with solar gray and I love it. The optics are crisp, but keeps the heat and UV down in the cockpit. It is not too dark to interfere with low light or night flight. 100% recommend it for window replacement.   My glider had a canopy broken before I purchased it.  I curse the "idiot" that put on a clear canopy.