Mooney crash - not a crash thread

Yetti

I don't like starting crash threads or commenting on them.

For this one I am just very very impressed at the intact cabin and that the door is not even jammed.  tail bent 45 degrees and a third of the wing tip gone.  Looks like some cartwheel action. 

image.png.cd50fd41a85f17e6c94b7a19fc454f31.png

Maybe @Yetti could provide the link where this was found so we wouldn't have to guess which airframe. But I haven't heard of any more recent Mooney mishaps beyond all the recent gear incidents the past couple weeks, so hope this isn't a new one.

But most even with most fatals I've seen, the cabin is typically very intact. Although the cabin will easily survive 8+G's on impact the occupants still tend to suffer blunt force trauma well before the cabin becomes deformed. 

6 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

It just looks like a ‘77 or ‘78 M20J with a three bladed prop and wing root and dorsal fin fairings to me.  Agreed that the prop appears feathered but I think it is just crash damage. It could be a Missile conversion, but I don’t think so.  The cowling looks like OEM M20J to me. 

Jim

It is definitely NOT a missile- the cowling is too short and the exhaust isn’t the same.  I think it’s just a stock J with a 3 bladed prop

9 minutes ago, Mjknick@gmail.com said:

I’ve seen that prop on a C model

My C sports a 3-blade Hartzell. I'm used to shutting down withthe prop control fully forward. Not sure how if would look pulled back. But this one is definitely not at low pitch.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hank said:

My C sports a 3-blade Hartzell. I'm used to shutting down withthe prop control fully forward. Not sure how if would look pulled back. But this one is definitely not at low pitch.

Makes me wonder if the pilot accidentally grabbed the condition lever when they meant to grab the mixture....

The spar in the wing must be very impressive.  I am happy to see the tip all mangled and many feet of wing still attached and there . I watched a documentary on Lear jets and their history.  Watching them build the wing was cool , way over built. 5 or 6 spars if memory serves. 1 piece complete then attached to the fuselage. 

I would love to see how an acclaim is assembled , stamped , riveted,  ect.

10 minutes ago, peevee said:

It's also bad times if the prop governor fails on takeoff

It was explained to me that the nose of twin props is pressurized with air/nitrogen so if the governor/ oil pressure  fails the prop goes full pitch.

30 minutes ago, peevee said:

It's also bad times if the prop governor fails on takeoff

But much better times if the engine fails anywhere (16:1 glide ratio).  Everything’s a trade off in aviation...

Edited by M016576

12 minutes ago, M016576 said:

But much better times if the engine fails anywhere (16:1 glide ratio).  Everything’s a trade off in aviation...

You realize the prop will try to feather? The glide ratio is probably a lot less than 16 to 1 in that instance