Photo Gallery of Everyone’s Panels and Paint Schemes?

jerrodmonaghan

5 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Just thinking out load.  Totally unlikely and way too expensive to consider someone actually doing but: wouldn't a wing replacement STC be cool?  Along the lines of sabrecowl, a full carbon fiber wing replacement.  Lighter, stronger, more durable, corrosion resistant and more aerodynamic.  Easy (right), Just build up an identical wing, all the same spars, in carbon fiber but perhaps properly thickened or whatever appropriate for the material, designed in cad, and then cover in smooth carbon sheets.  Easy.  Said a guy who knows little to nothing about carbon fiber work.  Then just "pop off" the old wing and pop on the new one.  Sounds expensive.  

If you have seen a carbon bike take a rock to the down tube vs and aluminum bike.   You have to make carbon layup really thick. 

34 minutes ago, Yetti said:

If you have seen a carbon bike take a rock to the down tube vs and aluminum bike.   You have to make carbon layup really thick. 

Certainly I have - and my son has a carbon fiber bike - by Cervelo.  I have several titanium bikes - now that would be cool - a titanium airplane.  But I also have a really robust pair of carbon fiber wheels which are very very robust.  Much more durable than the Al rims they replaced.  They are Reynolds DV wheels.  I have also had a carbon fiber build (rowing) scull which was honeycomb and that thing was very light weight and delicate.  I also used to have a Diamond DA40 and the wingspar on that thing was amazingly thick and robust.  I repeat my pie-in-the sky wish - I think it could be done (except for the FAA) and it would be fantastic.

Edited by aviatoreb

I only ride TI frames due to carbon being way way to flexy for my er um profile.   I broke an early trek mtn bike frame due to flex.  don't want to have that happen in the air.  I build a stitch and glue kayak that is plywood with e glass over it.  It is very very strong.  But I guess that would be going backwards in the Mooney history.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

I think that's a great idea and feel it would work well. As an academic exercise can we get some of your students to work out the difference in weight between a carbon fibre wing and an aluminium wing of same strength and aerodynamic capability?     You know something for their theses (or however its spelt).  

You were doing great until you wrote "spelt".

I don't have students like that.  My own skills cross over a bit to work with profs that do have exactly those sorts of students though so I could put a big in the ear of one of them to see if they could put that bug in the ear of such a student.  There is a "senior design" requirement in the aero major I think.

Cost and certification cost aside - since that is the elephant in the room - technology exists to do this as an academic concept, and the benefits would be tremendous.  See earlier in this thread where I posted the experimental bird called the "raven" that is an all glass copy of the piper Comanche.

• Like 1

mooney2.jpg.7600b4940f4322acadca47a8806e1b86.jpgmooney3.thumb.jpeg.16b851c89cfcf9be99cc0a15742337c2.jpeg

and back at cold home base:

image3.jpeg.f7a4f5a9aeedbb6afb6ccebd2bd25f7c.jpeg

Panel is basic, but functional:

p4.thumb.jpg.9eb627b8c4710914b5e28fa12624d43a.jpg

(older photo, but it's still pretty much the same minus the 396 yoke attachment and replaced the king radio with buddy's digital alternative that he had on the shelf when knob broke, but after fixing knob may go back to king since it's more reliable)

• Like 3

On 2/24/2019 at 10:25 AM, aviatoreb said:

Did someone call?  Someone wants to see pictures of my airplane?!!  :-)  paint by J&M in middlebury vt.

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_1983.jpeg

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

This plane is so much more impressive in person than these photos can do it justice! You gotta snap some better ones! Truly a beautiful bird.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

@AlexLev that’s quite the timer setup!7D8FA47A-BB3F-4AB3-A941-6DFFD2D43A23.thumb.jpeg.dd3d183499751ac96b34afd51d6dff3f.jpeg

It's all about redundancy during those holds---might add another one just in case ;)! 

(haha plane came like that from @Seanhoya, I use them sparingly-but try to wind them up regularly--adds a little charm, but mostly their function is for people to make fun of all of them!) 

Edited by AlexLev

28 minutes ago, AlexLev said:

This plane is so much more impressive in person than these photos can do it justice! You gotta snap some better ones! Truly a beautiful bird.

Well thank you Alex!  Its sort of a chameleon color, that looks very different in various light conditions.  Sometimes deep blue, sometimes lighter blue or purple, sometimes almost black.  And there is a sparkle substance in the mid-clear coat,  not the pearl that is in the paint, but micro-glass bead balls, that really bling in the direct sunshine, like a bass boat treatment.  Anyway, thank you!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yeah, I'm just thinking of what could be done to result in a very light E. Pulling my back seats out is 26# and since it's rare that anyone is sitting back there, I'd rather leave that 26# in the hangar.

I'd probably leave off the speed brakes and the bladders, add a composite prop, and then a few bits here and there... maybe a UL of 1000# is more realistic. The E is the original Mooney hot rod. It would be fun to build one as light and fast as possible.

Post annual, I'll fly my A model, with out the back seat and right seat.  The climb difference is "seat of the pants" different.

Also, which one of those screens do you watch for the impending bird strike?!  In Texas, I share the air with 25lb buzzards. 

3 hours ago, AlexLev said:

mooney2.jpg.7600b4940f4322acadca47a8806e1b86.jpg

and back at cold home base:

Panel is basic, but functional:

(older photo, but it's still pretty much the same minus the 396 yoke attachment and replaced the king radio with buddy's digital alternative that he had on the shelf when knob broke, but after fixing knob may go back to king since it's more reliable)

Alex- what a coincidence that the other -G owner on this thread has nearly the exact same paint and panel as mine!

Looks in great shape, is the paint still original?

• Like 1

Keep them coming!!! I want to thank every person who has posted photos of your beloved birds! I have studied each and everyone of them. I have looked at things you can’t imagine. I’ve looked at how your fasteners are holding down different pieces in different ways. I’ve seen minor details that will help my plane safer when it’s done. I’ve seen that no two airframes are identical. Similar yet different... if you have not posted photos please consider doing so. You may not be aware of how much help you could be giving to us class of 2019 rookies! Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 3914N said:

Alex- what a coincidence that the other -G owner on this thread has nearly the exact same paint and panel as mine!

Looks in great shape, is the paint still original?

Thanks! Doing my best to keep it that way -- plane was repainted in California in 2013, but I believe the original paint scheme was used for the repaint, so not original paintjob. I'll let you know if I make it out to California with it! It's definitely a journey I want to make with this plane, just trying to find the time is tough sometimes!

Work in progress. 1994 M20J purchased 6/18. Original paint, original interior, 1125 TT. Engine replaced with factory rebuilt IO-360-A3B6 10/18. Next month, KR-87 and KT-76A will be removed and a GTX 345 installed. Next winter I will work on interior which isn't that bad but looks dated. Paint is a 7/10 and will eventually be redone in a more contemporary scheme.

IMG_0162.thumb.JPG.5bc53d212aee8cc4fae68e010e6898f5.JPG

901637099_IMG_2200-Copy.thumb.JPG.c5a6d758d6b8164aa74ba266d4e090b7.JPG1747518307_IMG_2158-Copy.thumb.JPG.dcb8b07e0bb009868bd1533203bb9720.JPGIMG_2197.thumb.JPG.61578cfd5032be3a2bf1db03c3325695.JPG

• Like 2

On 2/27/2019 at 9:28 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Yeah, I'm just thinking of what could be done to result in a very light E. Pulling my back seats out is 26# and since it's rare that anyone is sitting back there, I'd rather leave that 26# in the hangar.

I'd probably leave off the speed brakes and the bladders, add a composite prop, and then a few bits here and there... maybe a UL of 1000# is more realistic. The E is the original Mooney hot rod. It would be fun to build one as light and fast as possible.

This is what I have been thinking about for months . I think my first Mooney needs to be the short body .  I have been very tempted to pull the trigger on a few different C models . But I cant bring myself to do it . I know I want an E .  

The turbo E on the classifieds showed up two days after I spent all of my savings . I would probably be the new owner if it would of been listed sooner . I have been thinking about all of that , but with the addition of the turbo .