Photo Gallery of Everyone’s Panels and Paint Schemes?

jerrodmonaghan

The exterior is still original from 1993

image.thumb.png.f10f92b2d1f67e569e99100b22b42488.png

The interior and panel have been updated

INTERIOR BEFORE:

IMG_0968.JPG.7ac9ba56073f159759c8aeaedec

IMG_7004.thumb.JPG.2b4fd6c9b6a22c3d95872

INTERIOR AFTER:

56b75dd0d9e41_SeatN134JF.thumb.jpg.47514IMG_7383.thumb.JPG.ce0cc7432c6f400e7460f

IMG_7437.thumb.JPG.35e9a3a80852594134872IMG_7417.thumb.JPG.175c69a75a63034e6757dIMG_7438.thumb.JPG.ccea26180bcd2f94752c9

PANEL BEFORE:

IMG_0312.JPGIMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0927.thumb.jpg.7af76b509c9e37612aeab3db844c404c.jpg

PANEL AFTER:

IMG_1038.thumb.jpg.0ecc823f49d971b28d5aa13c3a72d86c.jpg

The panel is a little busy right now with a lot of things packed in there, but so far I haven't had to cut a new panel.

Eventually I'll either do a JPI 900 or 930 to replace the factory gauges and the Shadin Fuel Flow, but they are all working fine now, so no rush. Aspen Maxs are paid for and should be here around September. 

If the King AeroCruse230 autopilot ever materializes then the KEA-130A Altimeter and the KAS-297B Altitude Pre-Select can go, however they and the autopilot are working well, so again no rush.  At that point I'll think about cutting a new left panel and flush mounting the Aspens, but the way I look at it now they are a half inch closer to me for less money. . lol.

I want to think it through so that I only have to cut a new left panel once . . . famous last words.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I think these threads are related, when you can have a plane refurbished to such high standards, why do you need new planes, especially when pilot population is diminishing.

Mooney doesn't make the plane I want anymore. Regardless of the money, I'd rather have a brand new 252 Encore than an Acclaim Ultra. But since Mooney won't build them, I'll have to refurbish mine.

• Like 3

Maybe when I'm not up to flying in the flight levels any longer, I'll move from a 252 to an E. I think an E restored to factory new condition, much like @Bob_Belville would be awesome. An all glass panel would remove the vacuum pump, LED's to remove power packs, a composite prop on the nose, and the removable back seats out of my 252, might give the E 1100 lbs of useful load. Add the LASAR speed mods and the @Sabremech cowl and it would likely outrun most J's.

It would be a hot rod for sure.

#whatMooneyshouldbuild

• Like 1

Here’s our little project - So far we have done paint, windows, most of the interior (only seat covers are left), some LEDs, and a couple of iterations of a step-by-step panel project.  I’ve done most everything except paint and the front windshield.   Next is autopilot and looks like I’m in for a nav/com2 real soon. 

32EC7588-AA24-4C29-9204-B9C80CD09C5B.jpeg

0C4AB8BF-6784-4A40-8A07-F2C89A8EC72F.jpeg

CAD5F3CF-87B3-49F5-B81E-D45616495368.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Maybe when I'm not up to flying in the flight levels any longer, I'll move from a 252 to an E. I think an E restored to factory new condition, much like @Bob_Belville would be awesome. An all glass panel would remove the vacuum pump, LED's to remove power packs, a composite prop on the nose, and the removable back seats out of my 252, might give the E 1100 lbs of useful load. Add the LASAR speed mods and the @Sabremech cowl and it would likely outrun most J's.

It would be a hot rod for sure.

#whatMooneyshouldbuild

@gsxrpilot: Paul, my Useful load is 900# because the gross for Es is only 2575. A full fiberglass SabreCowl 2 might save a little empty weight. I guess you're thinking 1100 would be with the back seats out. I think it would be tough to get there.

I do have ~60# of extra weight: speed brakes - 9#, 64 gal bladders - 35#, and one piece belly - 10#, 2nd landing light, lens - 5#.

Just thinking out loud.  Totally unlikely and way too expensive to consider someone actually doing but: wouldn't a wing replacement STC be cool?  Along the lines of sabrecowl, a full carbon fiber wing replacement.  Lighter, stronger, more durable, corrosion resistant and more aerodynamic.  Easy (right), Just build up an identical wing, all the same spars, in carbon fiber but perhaps properly thickened or whatever appropriate for the material, designed in cad, and then cover in smooth carbon sheets.  Easy.  Said a guy who knows little to nothing about carbon fiber work.  Then just "pop off" the old wing and pop on the new one.  Sounds expensive.  

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2

To a Stearman pilot, some of these cockpit photos would make one wonder,  ".. so just how many smart screens does it take to get that Mooney off & then back down the ground?"  Or is it just entertainment while the auto pilot does all that?  Brings to mind David Bowies TV walled bedroom in "the man who fell to earth" 

2 minutes ago, mike20papa said:

To a Stearman pilot, some of these cockpit photos would make one wonder,  ".. so just how many smart screens does it take to get that Mooney off & then back down the ground?"  Or is it just entertainment while the auto pilot does all that?  Brings to mind David Bowies TV walled bedroom in "the man who fell to earth" 

It's a bunch of little screens for now... just wait until it's one big screen.

Alexa: Confirm Gear Down

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

@gsxrpilot: Paul, my Useful load is 900# because the gross for Es is only 2575. A full fiberglass SabreCowl 2 might save a little empty weight. I guess you're thinking 1100 would be with the back seats out. I think it would be tough to get there.

I do have ~60# of extra weight: speed brakes - 9#, 64 gal bladders - 35#, and one piece belly - 10#, 2nd landing light, lens - 5#.

Yeah, I'm just thinking of what could be done to result in a very light E. Pulling my back seats out is 26# and since it's rare that anyone is sitting back there, I'd rather leave that 26# in the hangar.

I'd probably leave off the speed brakes and the bladders, add a composite prop, and then a few bits here and there... maybe a UL of 1000# is more realistic. The E is the original Mooney hot rod. It would be fun to build one as light and fast as possible.

• Like 3