Ice In Front of Hangar and New Dusty Neighbor

apenney

I tried to attack the ice today. Had flooding in the hangar due to the 4-6” of ice blocking. I should have had some baby aspirin and an adult non-rebreather mask ready as I really thought I was going to have a heart attack chopping the ice up with the maul. I started the assault by cutting drain channels to drain the lake.  Spent about four hours and got most of it done. Back tomorrow for the coup de grâce even though we’re supposed to get more of the white stuff. I cannot believe how strong this ice was bonded to the pavement. 

0470B743-9B9C-49D3-AB57-F2753A4894B0.jpeg

7B93A720-90D6-469D-8325-362FADF0AB19.jpeg

5B46B8F0-13E6-4932-AFA0-3CF99D00EDA5.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah it did for blowing out those water channels I made. The old diesel salamander also helped big time. I think I burned through about 4 gallons of diesel and a full 20lb tank.
The biggest difference was from swinging the 10lb maul into the ice. But that in concert with the insane amount of BTU’s I was kicking out basically finished the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

I tried to attack the ice today. Had flooding in the hangar due to the 4-6” of ice blocking. I should have had some baby aspirin and an adult non-rebreather mask ready as I really thought I was going to have a heart attack chopping the ice up with the maul. I started the assault by cutting drain channels to drain the lake.  Spent about four hours and got most of it done. Back tomorrow for the coup de grâce even though we’re supposed to get more of the white stuff. I cannot believe how strong this ice was bonded to the pavement. 

0470B743-9B9C-49D3-AB57-F2753A4894B0.jpeg

7B93A720-90D6-469D-8325-362FADF0AB19.jpeg

5B46B8F0-13E6-4932-AFA0-3CF99D00EDA5.jpeg

This is why I live in South Texas, the only ice I screw with is in my drinks

• Haha 1

Yeah it did for blowing out those water channels I made. The old diesel salamander also helped big time. I think I burned through about 4 gallons of diesel and a full 20lb tank.
The biggest difference was from swinging the 10lb maul into the ice. But that in concert with the insane amount of BTU’s I was kicking out basically finished the job.

Glad the torch worked. That’s a bunch of ice!!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, Kris_Adams said:

The irony is that in Georgia I swapped from a south facing hangar to a north facing to cut down the heat during the summer. 

I actually opted to pay an extra $30/mo or so to have a hangar that faces the South as they are supposed to not have as much snow and more sunlight. Granted, I signed my lease in January and I had snow up to waist when I first attempted to make entry while the cheaper North facing hangars had like ankle-high snow. I'm questioning if its worth that much $$$ if I'm working so hard to get this hangar usable. What I should have done is bought several 80lb bags of salt and dumped them on the icebergs. There is so much water that it would be diluted quite fast.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

What I should have done is bought several 80lb bags of salt and dumped them on the icebergs. There is so much water that it would be diluted quite fast.

I would definitely not do that. You might think it all runs away when it melts but even later when it rains and the salt that was down in the pavement mixes with the rain and you start up and spray that mixture all over your airframe . . . very corrosive. There's a reason they don't put salt on runways and taxiways.

• Like 1