2 hours ago, kortopates said:

You wouldn’t be insuring for flight since it’s not flyable, but against fire, damage, theft etc while you are working on it in the hangar. So why not? Your lack of pilot certs or experience doesn’t matter. Experimental builders do this all the time to protect their investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if you were at my home field the landlord would require you to carry at least liability insurance. (Suppose a fire that starts with your plane damages the hangar(s)?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

And if you were at my home field the landlord would require you to carry at least liability insurance. (Suppose a fire that starts with your plane damages the hangar(s)?)

Recently there was a hangar fire in which a whole row of hangars and a bunch of airplanes were lost.  Caused by defueling an airplane in the hangar when fuel splashed on a halogen work light.

Now the un insured owner who caused the fire is trying to find a way to get the damage covered under his home owners policy.

Clarence

12 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Recently there was a hangar fire in which a whole row of hangars and a bunch of airplanes were lost.  Caused by defueling an airplane in the hangar when fuel splashed on a halogen work light.

Now the un insured owner who caused the fire is trying to find a way to get the damage covered under his home owners policy.

Clarence

Does he have stupidity coverage in his homeowner's policy?

Liability coverage and ground not in motion coverage is pretty cheap.

Many times the liability coverage on an aircraft will extend to cover the premises where the aircraft is normally stored and sometimes where the aircraft is presently located.  In that case, you may not need a premises liability policy for your hangar.

Some people carry both.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering paying an aircraft owner an hourly rate to use their aircraft.  The details aren't yet worked out, but I'm reasonably certain that the owner only carries liability coverage.  What type of insurance would I shop to cover the aircraft and my personal liability when I'm operating their aircraft?  Is this renters insurance?

Up until know, I've either flown in a club aircraft or in a Mooney that I've (co)owned, so this is a new area of coverage for me to consider.

Well, the owner won’t have primary coverage as respects physical damage coverage to protect his aircraft. You could buy a non-owned policy to protect yourself for your use of the aircraft.

The owner needs to make sure that his liability coverage includes coverage while renting the aircraft to you.