1978J Nosegear truss turning radius stop tab broken

wiseng

On 2/26/2019 at 9:57 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I have my turn limits brightly marked (Laura at SWTA keeps some bright red nail polish on hand just for this purpose). They get touched up every annual or more often if needed. I keep my cowl flap retracted while on the ground so the markings on the nose gear are easily seen. I notify both the ground crew and the FBO office about the limitations of towing my Mooney. If the ground crew is there, they will see me checking the nose gear truss before walking away and will let them know what I'm doing.

The rest is what insurance is for. Today parts are readily available and there are numerous shops that will rebuild the nose gear if parts can't be sourced.

This allows me to comfortably travel in my Mooney and park it on whatever ramp I happen to land on, and sleep easy.

Bright red nail polish is a great idea, though I don't personally keep any handy ;).  I paid LASAR about $25 for the decals a couple of years ago, and they have already faded beyond legibility.  

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 10:35 AM, DXB said:

Bright red nail polish is a great idea, though I don't personally keep any handy ;).  I paid LASAR about $25 for the decals a couple of years ago, and they have already faded beyond legibility.  

Anyone have an extra decal? Wouldn’t mind making a stencil 

Since posting this.  I have had the typical FBO- Insurance dilemma.   Per Signatures request I was told to file on my insurance etc.   Did that and am still waiting.   This is at most a $3500 repair.  I recently switched carriers Alienz from Global  based upon my brokers recommendation (Travers).  This should have been a simple negoiation and has turned into quite a mess.  

There is a claim rep Crawford GTS contracted to Alienz and a third party adjuster contracted by Crawford.  What a CF for a $3500 claim. No telling what there fees are.  I suspect its more than the total cost for repair.  

Note to you 2nd law of thermodynamics guys.  You gets what's you puts in..

In retrospect.   I should have just paid for the repair.  Had my attorney sue Signature and they would have been responsible for the repair and whatever.

David Wisdom, P.E.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:58 PM, wiseng said:

Since posting this.  I have had the typical FBO- Insurance dilemma.   Per Signatures request I was told to file on my insurance etc.   Did that and am still waiting.   This is at most a $3500 repair.  I recently switched carriers Alienz from Global  based upon my brokers recommendation (Travers).  This should have been a simple negoiation and has turned into quite a mess.  

There is a claim rep Crawford GTS contracted to Alienz and a third party adjuster contracted by Crawford.  What a CF for a $3500 claim. No telling what there fees are.  I suspect its more than the total cost for repair.  

Note to you 2nd law of thermodynamics guys.  You gets what's you puts in..

In retrospect.   I should have just paid for the repair.  Had my attorney sue Signature and they would have been responsible for the repair and whatever.

David Wisdom, P.E.

Hello,

I had the exact same thing happen to me (bent stop tab) about a year ago at a Signature FBO. Signature owned up to it and paid for it all 100% and had it repaired as well. I had even warned the tug driver and the two wing walkers (as they were hooking up to my plane) about not exceeding the marks on the nosewheel. Despite all that, they still damaged it. I went and spoke to the manager and he took care of the rest.

New truss came from LASAR.

To those that say they would never let anyone tug their Mooney, I did not have a choice in the matter due to ramp construction that would not allow for taxi. Only tugging since it passed too closely to the fuel farm for access to hangars.

Edited by 75_M20F

My concern is that you can't break the tab off with out stressing the tubing and the tubing is all that keeps your propeller from smacking the pavement and the engine requiring a tear down.  It seems really simple to have LASAR ship you a reconditioned nose gear and ship yours back as an exchange.  I now have a three foot long yellow and black streamer which goes on my prop and says "restricted tow Angle" 

• Like 1