IMC Club and training the brain

211º

We have a monthly IMC club at Lunken that I attend. It’s purpose is to learn from other pilots and situations (kind of like “I learned about flying from that” in Flying magazine.)

Frequently, when reviewing the incident we mention that “we wouldn’t have done that” or “why didn’t he ask the controller for help” or “why didn’t he declare an emergency”

While the tips and tricks are educational and useful, I am slowly getting the idea that more than the tips and tricks, we are training ourselves that declaring an emergency is ok and might be quite useful.

When preparing to land yesterday, the Johnson-bar gear “felt weird” when deploying. Instead of just pushing it out of my brain, I mentioned it to the controller and asked for a looksie from the tower via a low approach.

It turned out to be a non-event, but I think that the IMC club training helped train my brain the ask for help.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 211º said:

While the tips and tricks are educational and useful, I am slowly getting the idea that more than the tips and tricks, we are training ourselves that declaring an emergency is ok and might be quite useful.

Thank goodness. It's time that silliness about declaring being a bad thing ended.

• Like 1

I've only made a few IMC Club meetings, since there's not one really close to me. The closest one is across the line into Eastern Time, they start too soon to when I get off work. The other one sends out notices irregularly, and I log between 1.5 and 2.0 roundtrip. But the discussions are always good, even when it's procedures and not oopsies. Wish there was one closer . . . And no, I will not be starting one at my airport of a single plane.

5 hours ago, 211º said:

We have a monthly IMC club at Lunken that I attend. It’s purpose is to learn from other pilots and situations (kind of like “I learned about flying from that” in Flying magazine.)

Frequently, when reviewing the incident we mention that “we wouldn’t have done that” or “why didn’t he ask the controller for help” or “why didn’t he declare an emergency”

When preparing to land yesterday, the Johnson-bar gear “felt weird” when deploying. Instead of just pushing it out of my brain, I mentioned it to the controller and asked for a looksie from the tower via a low approach.

It turned out to be a non-event, but I think that the IMC club training helped train my brain the ask for help.

I think these discussions are good.  I was talking to a friend who got overwhelmed with a course addendum while flying IFR and got an earful from ATC.  I asked him why he didn't request a heading until it was loaded and why he didn't tell ATC he was getting a little behind.  He said he didn't think to do that.  It was something I picked up at one of the summit meetings.  Little things like that are useful to learn.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Once a pilot, always a pilot. There's no expiration date on that certificate. :D

Yeah, but the airplane is eating me alive.  I've put a deadline on recruiting partners.  If I fail, I sell the aircraft and bail on aviation.  Don't want to, I love flying. But i can't do what I can't afford.

Good news is a couple guys are thinking about signing on, so there's hope.