Yikes, cold thunder!

16 minutes ago, scottd said:

Temperature 3°C at the surface and thunder.  

KCHA 192053Z 35011KT 2SM TSRA BR SCT007 SCT015CB OVC060 03/02 A3040 RMK AO2 TSB35 SLP296 OCNL LTGIC SW-N TS SW-N MOV NE 

Translated: YUK!

I LOVE your posts Scott.  I always loved weather, since I was a little kid and my mom let me stay in the garage with the door open listening to thunderstorms.  You are the weather geek I had thought of becoming myself at some point heading off to college.  :-)

So I have heard (rarely) thunder-snow around here in upstate NY.  I have never seen thunder snow-lightning but I think that is due to the obscuring effect of the snow.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I LOVE your posts Scott.  I always loved weather, since I was a little kid and my mom let me stay in the garage with the door open listening to thunderstorms.  You are the weather geek I had thought of becoming myself at some point heading off to college.  :-)

So I have heard (rarely) thunder-snow around here in upstate NY.  I have never seen thunder snow-lightning but I think that is due to the obscuring effect of the snow.

Pretty amazing area of thunderstorms here that spans a very large area.  Here are the convective SIGMETs (red polygons) shown in WeatherSpork and the yellow area is the convective outlook.

WS-SIGMETs.thumb.png.d3b73d8dc0a674e235931d40ef7082b0.png

Why is this amazing?  Not because it's in the middle of February and there's thunderstorms, but because there really isn't any instability in the regions where convection is now occurring as indicated by the most unstable CAPE chart below.

cape9.thumb.png.01001e3a1936ce730abdd68796726384.png

It's all in association to a very large high amplitude upper level trough moving in from the west.  

500mbWS.thumb.png.5c5207d437d1d81a1ab5d57be7600187.png

There's this cold wedge of air sitting up over the lower Mississippi and Tennessee Valley area.  If you look at the surface winds through Tennessee, northern Alabama, northern Mississippi, they are all out of the east bringing in some very cold, moist air as air flows clockwise around the high pressure in the east.

sfc.thumb.png.d6dd5500cf1a003c493c1d3b0f2c0b0b.png

Then, if you go up to 5,000 feet (850 mb) below notice the wind direction...from the south over the Gulf coast states.  Even some winds as much as 50 knots.  We call this isentropic lift as that warm air moves up and over the dense air at the surface. So essentially this air is riding up on the density discontinuity.  

850mbWS.thumb.png.16f6434e160070580b43a97ddc3276c6.png 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

You are the weather geek I had thought of becoming myself at some point heading off to college.  

Instead choosing the easy way with a math degree.  Everyone knows 1+1=2 but who really understands a slew-t chart. 

3 minutes ago, M20F said:

Instead choosing the easy way with a math degree.  Everyone knows 1+1=2 but who really understands a slew-t chart. 

:-)  Well I didn't say I chose the easy route - just that well I did this and not that!  Actually I still love weather and ocean too, etc in more than a passing way.  Take a peek at my website and you will see some actual day-job work in those fields.  Actually, not so much those fields but math methods for those fields.  Also remote sensing (satellite images) I do some methods development for analysis.

But now slew-t charts, I may be no expert, but I know enough to know that its not spelled correctly.  Or should I say Spekked correctly?  And that is coming from a very poor speller.  Or should I say should I say spekker?

• Like 2

Welcome to the world of climate change.  Walked through the worst day in my memory today.  Usually when it snows the skies clear afterwards, so all you have to worry about is snow.  This morning there was sufficient snow make a tough slog, but there was semi-liquid precipitation on top of that (and lots of it).  Really gross. The wx is supposed to increase throughout the day and change to rain, so I suspect most that snow will be gone by nightfall.  Bleeech.

Edited by steingar

Well, it's here now. 56° outside, dark, raining softly then really hard. Thunder comes and goes. Distant lightning visible when I walk to a window. Guess we'll see what happens, besides highs near 80° through the weekend. But it's not flying weather.  :(  One front is moving up slowly from the Gulf, and one is moving in from the west, the tail end of what's icing up the Midwest. So it could be worse . . . Is it still winter? Everything's in full bloom, I only wear a jacket outside due to wind and rain. Ask me again next weekend if we've had any snow; if so, this is still winter.

Edited by Hank

The walk in yesterday morning was only beaten in severity and suckitude by the walk home.  It rained all day and was raining as I was ambulating home.  The snow hadn't yet melted though, so there were pools and pools of water, slush, and snow everywhere.  Truly awful.  

Still, I'll take all that in spades over a hot day in Alabama.  Gets hot down there in ways I don't like to think about.  Good thing about the crap wx here, you put on a coat and a hat.  The heat down there?  Good luck.

4 hours ago, steingar said:

The walk in yesterday morning was only beaten in severity and suckitude by the walk home.  It rained all day and was raining as I was ambulating home.  The snow hadn't yet melted though, so there were pools and pools of water, slush, and snow everywhere.  Truly awful.  

Still, I'll take all that in spades over a hot day in Alabama.  Gets hot down there in ways I don't like to think about.  Good thing about the crap wx here, you put on a coat and a hat.  The heat down there?  Good luck.

Let's agree to disagree. I spent 5 years in Columbus, and was quite happy to move away, even just straight south to Huntington, WV. The Ohio River moderates the fall weather there some, then winter sets in but not as bad. Being almost home in Alabama is a great relief, we've only had measurable snow three times [three times too many!] since Feb. 2014.  I should have scraped my windshield once last month after my wiper fluid froze on it . . . but I've only done that twice since coming back, both times out of habit [in Feb. 2014].

Ever since I left college, I have never lived close enough to walk to work. In Columbus it was 19 miles; in WV, it was 13; now it's 16. Before moving north it ranged around 6-10 miles in GA and NC, and as you've noticed, that's neither walkable nor bicycle-able much of the year.

But my Mooney still flies well! Supposed to be 80º tomorrow.

Yeah, we'll disagree.  I walked through the vortex, and I was comfy warm except the one uncovered spot, my eyes.  Should have worn goggles.  I learned the fly the Mooney on a series of hot days in Atlanta.  I never want to be that hot again in my life.  I'll happily take Columbus.  It rarely snows enough to get in my way, and if it does the town shuts down.  Actually, I think I'd like it better just a smudge more northernly, Columbus summers get a bit hot.

I used to bike 10 miles into work in San Diego, before I got hit by that pickup truck.

1 hour ago, DonMuncy said:

Isn't it strange how different folks have different ideas. On the hottest day of the summer in Dallas, if someone asks me how I feel about the weather, I say "it beats the heck out of cold weather".

I've said my whole life, growing up in GA and the Carolinas, while working in Ohio and now back in AL:  given the choice between 0° and 100°, I'll take 100° every time. @steingar can have the 0° stuff . . . .

Dallas is a cool place...

The boss sends a guy out to start the Cadillac with the AC running... before he and the customers go to lunch...

30days in a row of temps over 100°F... We were over by Redbird airport by a Frito-Lay facility...  :)

In New England... some cars don’t even get AC....

Observations from the 90s...

Best regards,

-a-

I was learning to snowboard in New Mexico one year.   It was snowing and then started thundering.  One of my few fears is lightening and being on an exposed ridge line.   We were almost to the top of the lift when it started.   I told the instructor we were getting the heck out of there.   Best snowboarding I have ever done.  I looked like a pro all the way down the mountain.

I was learning to snowboard in New Mexico one year.   It was snowing and then started thundering.  One of my few fears is lightening and being on an exposed ridge line.   We were almost to the top of the lift when it started.   I told the instructor we were getting the heck out of there.   Best snowboarding I have ever done.  I looked like a pro all the way down the mountain.

Hey! They posted a picture of you in the lodge on that run down the mountain! Caption under said you were a natural.

f434cc292087d125845b14dfa4e1df6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2