Mooney Emergency Landing with Gear Up at KVNY

sdflysurf

13 hours ago, sdflysurf said:

ooof.  just heard the liveatc audio and observed the flightaware.  Mooney was cleared to land and then given the go-around instruction and told his gear was down on short final, bummer. 

Do you have the liveatc time? 

Cleared to land... given the go-around... told his gear was down... landed gear up ?   Odd sequence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry - typo but I edited my mistake above.  Mooney was cleared to land, then the ATC gave a go around instruction and tried to reach him a second time and then mentioned his gear was not down before re-routing the multiple aircraft behind him.  Here is the liveatc link (cleared to land starts about 11 min in): 

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kvny/KVNY-Feb-18-2019-1900Z.mp3

The kvny controller handled the situation and rerouting of aircraft and closure of the runway very well - hats off to him.

good reminder to check for green again at short final, mixture and prop forward, and be listening for a go around at the last minute for any reason!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sdflysurf said:

good reminder to check for green again at short final, mixture and prop forward, and be listening for a go around at the last minute for any reason!!

It's a deeply ingrained habit to check the floor indicator on short final. There's still time to get the gear down then, or go around and try again.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Davidv said:

I just listened, seemed like a very professional and courteous controller.  I wonder how high off the runway he was when the controller told him to go around.  

Man - I totally agree.  That guy was awesome.  He was handling a lot of inbound flights, getting them lined up on final, and then still catches this guy with his gear down and was able to let him know to go around....then he managed the emergency very well too!  I'm going to look him up and send him kudos.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sdflysurf said:

Man - I totally agree.  That guy was awesome.  He was handling a lot of inbound flights, getting them lined up on final, and then still catches this guy with his gear down and was able to let him know to go around....then he managed the emergency very well too!  I'm going to look him up and send him kudos.

He was gear up not down!

Yves

• Haha 2

Electric Gear 20F:

1. Downwind; GUMPS, Gear down and green on the panel and green on the floor.

2. Base; Gear check, Check green on the panel and on the floor

3. Final; Gear check, Check green on the panel and on the floor

4. Short Final; Panic check, green on the panel and on the floor

When I had the J-bar 20C, I physically pulled on the bar at each step to insure that the gear was down and bar was locked. 

• Like 4

Just one of 4 Mooney gears ups in the past 10 days or so and one of 2 E models to do it this past Monday!  (The other E was in CO) Sadly, business as usual for our Mooney fleet at a couple a week. But I feel for the pilot, its got to be any pilots probably worst day ever - especially when it catches the news media :( 

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

Why is this happening so often and I wonder how many of these Mooney pilots are frequent readers of Mooney Space. Seems very rare that we have very many gear ups within our members. Perhaps because its discussed so much it's on the front of all our procedures.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bonal said:

Why is this happening so often and I wonder how many of these Mooney pilots are frequent readers of Mooney Space. Seems very rare that we have very many gear ups within our members. Perhaps because its discussed so much it's on the front of all our procedures.

Does anyone have any idea as to what our total membership is here, and what proportion of actual Mooney owners we comprise?

44 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Does anyone have any idea as to what our total membership is here, and what proportion of actual Mooney owners we comprise?

I'm sure the admin knows. In addition to registered members there are always a pretty high % of guests viewing content - nearly as many as members. OTOH, not everyone here is a Mooney owner.

12 minutes ago, jackn said:

Just renewed my insurance. Sizable increase, insurance agent said Mooney insurance rates have been going up. 

Same here. Thought it was inflation but maybe accident statistics are factoring in as well. 

• Sad 1

Just a thought on this incident. Did not sound like there was an "emergency" until after the gear up. Seemed like the Mooney was approaching with all things being normal and was responding to the tower as expected. Clearly the controller tried to advise him of the gear being up but there was no response and more importantly no attempt to go around. Also there was no immediate reply to towers attempt to contact the Mooney after he was down. Not till a bit later do you here him reply. Pure speculation here but perhaps he had switched his frequency to ground before landing and never heard the warning.

compliments to the controller and also to all the pilots for how well everyone did to stay safe in a busy airspace after things went bad.

• Like 3

Our MS insurance contact (Parker) said insurance rates are up across the board...

MS people are measured in thousands...

The top two thousand have posted many times...

The next 8k have posted a few times...

Many don’t post anything for years....

From reading through the lists....

Best regards,

-a-