Value of this Mooney?

DingyHarry

I would like to get the community's take on the value of a Mooney with the characteristics below. I know I know - its really hard to give a value without inspecting the plane or viewing the logbooks. But I'm just looking for a ballpark value here. Assume that the plane is in generally good airworthy condition with no major issues other than issues associated with the features I have provided below. Thanks!

• 1977-1979 M20J
  • Always hangered
  • Gear up landing 20+ years ago
  • Original paint but no signs of corrosion - exterior 7/10
  • 3000-3500TT
  • 1000-1250 SMOH
  • 75+ compression on all cylinders
  • 2 blade prop
  • Garmin 530 or Garmin 430
  • Aspen Pro PFD
  • Good audio panel
  • Century II-B AP
  • STEC 60 PSS
  • Electronic engine monitor
  • Garmin 330 transponder with ADS-B
  • No leaks in gas tanks but not resealed and no bladders
  • Interior 8/10

Edited by DingyHarry

1 hour ago, AlexLev said:

I would value the plane at 80-90K.

1 hour ago, bradp said:

85-95, new p&I would add another 5-10.  Issues on annual less.  Somewhere in that ballpark though. 

Agree on these as I just had a friend sell his in this price range. 

BUT I have one caveat - there is another active thread about a plane for sale with NDH and all logs as stated by the owner, but not in fact accurate, so if you do a pre-buy on the owner and everything checks out, these figures sound reasonable.

2 hours ago, DingyHarry said:

I would like to get the community's take on the value of a Mooney with the characteristics below. I know I know - its really hard to give a value without inspecting the plane or viewing the logbooks. But I'm just looking for a ballpark value here. Assume that the plane is in generally good airworthy condition with no major issues other than issues associated with the features I have provided below. Thanks!

• 1977-1979 M20J
  • Always hangered
  • Gear up landing 20+ years ago
  • Original paint but no signs of corrosion - exterior 7/10
  • 3000-3500TT
  • 1000-1250 SMOH
  • 75+ compression on all cylinders
  • 2 blade prop
  • Garmin 530 or Garmin 430
  • Aspen Pro PFD
  • Good audio panel
  • Century II-B AP
  • STEC 60 PSS
  • Electronic engine monitor
  • Garmin 330 transponder with ADS-B
  • No leaks in gas tanks but not resealed and no bladders
  • Interior 8/10

are you looking to buy or sell?

11 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Agree on these as I just had a friend sell his in this price range. 

BUT I have one caveat - there is another active thread about a plane for sale with NDH and all logs as stated by the owner, but not in fact accurate, so if you do a pre-buy on the owner and everything checks out, these figures sound reasonable.

Could you please let me know which plane this is so I can avoid it? Thanks.

Edited by DingyHarry

1 minute ago, DingyHarry said:

Looking to buy.

you are going to find a variety of configurations and prices, when you finally find one that interests you make sure you do a prebuy. and when you do, use someone who is a Mooney expert, not just a good and reputable l shop. there are specific things and areas on Mooney's that are often over looked on generic prebuys that can cost you a lot of money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, orionflt said:

you are going to find a variety of configurations and prices, when you finally find one that interests you make sure you do a prebuy. and when you do, use someone who is a Mooney expert, not just a good and reputable l shop. there are specific things and areas on Mooney's that are often over looked on generic prebuys that can cost you a lot of money.

I actually have a specific plane in mind (didn't want to post it here at this time) so I have provided a general description of the plane. Trying to come to a determination of value that isn't way off so I won't feel as if I'm making a bad deal. 

2 minutes ago, DingyHarry said:

I don't think its publicly available (please post a link here if it is) but isnt that guide for pre-J models only?

the guide might not cover what you are looking at, but it can help you get in the ball park and give you an idea that different equipment values are.

the guide might not cover what you are looking at, but it can help you get in the ball park and give you an idea that different equipment values are.

The optional avionics, p&i, prior damages, etc values will be roughly the same. Ignore M20J mod references.

If you add $10000-$15000 to the 76F that is covered will get you really close.

Tom

49 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Did the insurance company pay for the overhaul or was it done more recently?  Otherwise on paper it sounds good, I like the 330 and Garmin units as you can inexpensively upgrade them. 

No the owner paid for it. Its actually a factory reman and was done about a decade ago.