Darned Swiss Watch

aviatoreb

53 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Hi, Erik.  "Bob" is Robert Bramble at Aerolab Aviation Services that @Oldguy recommended above.   I have used him, too, and can also highly recommend him. Yes, an IRAN should be cheaper and just as good as an overhaul, and Bob will do that for you.

Good luck!  It shouldn't cost that much, especially if you eBay off the freshly IRAN'd 256 when you remove it as Scott suggested. 

Jim

Thanks Jim!  Actually I took the advice right away and called Aerolab-Bob and spoke to him only I didn't catch the name so I wanted to make sure we were talking about the same person/business.

I spoke about OH with him but not the possibility of IRAN. 

So one way or another I am going to get this KI256 fixed.  I will talk to him before I send it in to chat IRAN vs OH.  I certainly would prefer IRAN if we are just talking a bad bearing set.  I am sure he will steer me right.  Or should I say Head me right?  Or at least help me with my attitude.  Anyway now I am trying to catch the mechanic on the field who seems to be working at another airport today.

Thanks all for the quick work and advice!!!

E

• Like 4

After your 256 is repaired I think you will have to have it alligned with the rest of the system by a shop with the proper knowhow and equipment.  Bob had me send him my autopilot computer and mode annunciator with the 256 so he could allign it all before returning to me.

If sending in only the 256 I would have a shop that can do the allignment remove the 256 and reinstall it for me.

Need to be careful with the 256.  It has a switch on the back that activates the low vacuum warning (on my 81J anyway.  Mine got damaged and I got to buy a new one $$$$$$.

8 minutes ago, mooneyflyfast said:

After your 256 is repaired I think you will have to have it alligned with the rest of the system by a shop with the proper knowhow and equipment.  Bob had me send him my autopilot computer and mode annunciator with the 256 so he could allign it all before returning to me.

If sending in only the 256 I would have a shop that can do the allignment remove the 256 and reinstall it for me.

Need to be careful with the 256.  It has a switch on the back that activates the low vacuum warning (on my 81J anyway.  Mine got damaged and I got to buy a new one $$$$$$.

Right - that is what he said - to send him also the computer and the remote controller.  That is what you mean right?  If I send him those that is all the alignment I need - yes?

E

31 minutes ago, Steve W said:

My local avionics shop said they had KI-256s sitting on the shelf as they weren't worth trying to sell and would basically give me one for the price of installation/alignment. So you might check with any moderate sized shops and see if they have similar.

WOW - really?!!! That never occurred to me.

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

WOW - really?!!! That never occurred to me.

That's what they told me, I haven't tried to take them up on it, but as more alternative autopilots get approved I expect many King parts to become available for much lower costs as they're removed. Especially if you tell the shop you just need to keep running until autopilot X is approved and then you'll have them do that install.

Edited by Steve W
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mooneyflyfast said:

Company LogoKI256 OVERHAULS...!! • $1,000 • ACCEPTING ORDERS • We overhaul your Bendix/King KI-256 for just $1,000 dollars. 1-Year full warranty, call us today! • Contact Mark Williams - AEROSPACE COMPONENTS located Siloam Springs, AR USA • Telephone: 888-490-2150 • Posted February 16, 2019 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad

Disclaimer:  I know nothing about this shop but the price is right.

I have used them as they were just up the road from my here in AR.  Phemenonal service and excellent communication.  In fact, my newly re-built Ki256 is being removed in about 4 weeks for complete glass replacement and will see all my components at that time.  Let me know if you are looking for something, all my equipment is working great now that the Ki256 was rebuilt two months ago.

IMG_2946.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I have used them as they were just up the road from my here in AR.  Phemenonal service and excellent communication.  In fact, my newly re-built Ki256 is being removed in about 4 weeks for complete glass replacement and will see all my components at that time.  Let me know if you are looking for something, all my equipment is working great now that the Ki256 was rebuilt two months ago.

IMG_2946.jpeg

Panel looks a lot like mine. What are you installing?

11 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Bob will fix it right, just get ready to have it fixed again in 200 hrs, not a dis on Mr. Brambles work. Nature of the fine swiss watch. You will get your chance soon to upgrade out of the 1980's tech, Eric. Just not this go around.

Hi Mike,  I hear you on that - I have been wanting to move forward and hoping this would hold off....as I said.  But you saw my story at the opening of this thread.

200 hrs?  That is a pretty low forecast.  Is that the mean time of failure (that is an average of failure times across the population of devices in the field) or is that your experience of some of the more annoying examples, which I would then describe as the "lower tails, " (say it like 10% of the population fails at 200 hrs or less), or perhaps the worst of the population?

In any case, my current unit went about 1000hrs.  I would be happy with 600 since. that is several years for me and I anticipate an upgrade before then. I thought I was going to upgrade this year, but now I am thinking no - wait 2 or 3 yrs.

If I overhaul this thing, then I think I would go like 2 yrs, if I can, and wait further to see how the technology shakes out. If Aspen were able to drive the GFC500 and I knew that now, then I would get an aspen now.  If G5 were able to drive my KFC200 then I would get that now.  If the KI300 were available I might well get that anticipating getting the aerocruze.  On the other hand I like that Dynon system and may fall in love with that.  Nothing is available now from the above and who knows how long?  So meh - I am leaning to either an overhaul or maybe I will be successful as I am calling around to some shops today to see if they have a working KI256 on the shelf from upgrading some other plane.

..besides the ancient 1980s tech KI256, I am also annoyed at my mags - 1915 tech - before too long I will go electronic ignition.

6 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

200 hrs?  That is a pretty low forecast.

This is not accurate. He doesn't know what he’s talking about. He has an agenda. He’s just throwing out numbers without any basis. Not very helpful. With a proper OH you should get closer to 1000 hours. Mr. Bramble is the best of the best. He will recommend to you what to do and what you can expect. 

Edited by m20kmooney
  • Like 1

Hi Mike,  I hear you on that - I have been wanting to move forward and hoping this would hold off....as I said.  But you saw my story at the opening of this thread.
200 hrs?  That is a pretty low forecast.  Is that the mean time of failure (that is an average of failure times across the population of devices in the field) or is that your experience of some of the more annoying examples, which I would then describe as the "lower tails, " (say it like 10% of the population fails at 200 hrs or less), or perhaps the worst of the population?
In any case, my current unit went about 1000hrs.  I would be happy with 600 since. that is several years for me and I anticipate an upgrade before then. I thought I was going to upgrade this year, but now I am thinking no - wait 2 or 3 yrs.
If I overhaul this thing, then I think I would go like 2 yrs, if I can, and wait further to see how the technology shakes out. If Aspen were able to drive the GFC500 and I knew that now, then I would get an aspen now.  If G5 were able to drive my KFC200 then I would get that now.  If the KI300 were available I might well get that anticipating getting the aerocruze.  On the other hand I like that Dynon system and may fall in love with that.  Nothing is available now from the above and who knows how long?  So meh - I am leaning to either an overhaul or maybe I will be successful as I am calling around to some shops today to see if they have a working KI256 on the shelf from upgrading some other plane.
..besides the ancient 1980s tech KI256, I am also annoyed at my mags - 1915 tech - before too long I will go electronic ignition.

Erik - take it from someone who has been where you are at. You’re caught in the equivalent of a avionics blackhole. Money spent will be sucked away without knowing what is on the other side.

If I were in your situation, I would get the KI-256 repaired and take your chances. If the final solution isn’t ready for you at this point, I would hold off. Doesn’t make sense dropping money on a solution that doesn’t get you where you are headed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Erik - take it from someone who has been where you are at. You’re caught in the equivalent of a avionics blackhole. Money spent will be sucked away without knowing what is on the other side.

If I were in your situation, I would get the KI-256 repaired and take your chances. If the final solution isn’t ready for you at this point, I would hold off. Doesn’t make sense dropping money on a solution that doesn’t get you where you are headed.

Thanks.  I am strongly leaning this way.  Actually I just talked this morning to my avionics shop of choice, and sure enough he thinks they have several good KI256 on their shelf that he may let go for a screaming' hold-me-off deal which I may well go that route rather than an overhaul since I think a modernizing upgrade may well be in my not-to-long horizon.  But let's see the stuff get certified already!!!

That said, yeah - I think it may well get cheaper in the near term to keep this legacy stuff running if there are lots of people like us pulling out working equipment to upgrade.  So maybe someone can keep a system running on left overs for a long time to come.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I am strongly leaning this way.  Actually I just talked this morning to my avionics shop of choice, and sure enough he thinks they have several good KI256 on their shelf that he may let go for a screaming' hold-me-off deal which I may well go that route rather than an overhaul since I think a modernizing upgrade may well be in my not-to-long horizon.  But let's see the stuff get certified already!!!
That said, yeah - I think it may well get cheaper in the near term to keep this legacy stuff running if there are lots of people like us pulling out working equipment to upgrade.  So maybe someone can keep a system running on left overs for a long time to come.

I know of one Mooney owner who bought several Collins NavComs off of eBay, got them checked out and swaps them out when they fail every several hundred hours. He is the epitome of a model Cheap Bast&$d.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I know of one Mooney owner who bought several Collins NavComs off of eBay, got them checked out and swaps them out when they fail every several hundred hours. He is the epitome of a model Cheap Bast&$d.

Doe this Cheap Bast&$d in question fly a 1975 M20F?

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

No way! This is a J owner. Us true vintage owners buy new stuff!

What avionics item should I throw money at now? I want to ensure I am part of the country club of Vintage CB Mooney owners!

• Like 2

Hmmm, lets see what we can do. Since you already have the Aspen PFD, why don't we get rid of all those nasty round thingies in your panel? Let's add an MFD 1000, Max version of course. Take advantage of the Aspen super cheap upgrade of your PFD and make it a Max too. Now you can sell off those round thingies like the airspeed indicator, altimeter and the backup attitude indicator. 

I think a nice Avidyne 440 slide in replacement will provide a nice upgrade to that 1990s style GPS you currently have. Since the TruTrak is just around the corner, I would slide one of those in and while you are at it, upgrade that JPI 830 to a 900 and clean up some more panel space.

Of course, a hard working E like yours would need a cosmetic upgrade while you are at it, so let's have them cut some new panels for you. 

This should make for a nice starting point, don't you think? :D

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bill98 said:

Aspen PFD and GNS430W with a Brittain AP (no vertical hold) + a EDM830. :D 

I would sit tight till Oshkosh when Garmin rolls out the certified G3X touch. Then I would replace the Aspen with a G3X touch. I’d leave the 430W alone until it gives you reason to remove. Then I woukd put in  GTN650. 

1 hour ago, m20kmooney said:

I would sit tight till Oshkosh when Garmin rolls out the certified G3X touch. Then I would replace the Aspen with a G3X touch. I’d leave the 430W alone until it gives you reason to remove. Then I woukd put in  GTN650. 

Plz stay away from my wallet and checkbook!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1