Capehart Lifetime Machined Aluminum Oil Filter

Bob_Belville

I'm curious about the Capehart Lifetime Machined Aluminum Oil Filter. It uses a fine ss mesh instead of pleated paper.

Does anyone know why this STC PMA alternative is not around anymore? Apparently Mr. Capehart is dead and the company is oob so I wonder why someone didn't pick up the product if it worked as advertised.

• Like 1

Some ideas to consider while waiting on the facts...

1) Similar to the finger screen but in a remote location...?

2) Screens/filters have stated mesh/pore sizes that give direct comparisons to what size particle will not pass through...

Pp thoughts as usual...

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Bob,

I’ve only seen it on the Spruce website, no one I know of has one.  The idea has merit.

Clarence

Thanks Clarence. I suppose they must sell some to keep it available. Apparently there may be some issue with the gasket - one guy says he has to replace it every time or it leaks but another guy has no problem. Another thread on Short Wing Piper Cubs concerned high cost and unavailability of the gasket for the Capehart. Since AS sells gaskets for $5.95 I wonder if the Challenger is different from the old Capehart. 

Very interesting.  Break even point here assuming one changes changes the gasket every time seems to be about 15 oil changes, which is less than how many I've done in 4+ years ownership. Thus it should appeal to every CB here who does his own oil changes.  Questions would be (1) does it filter contaminants as effectively? (2) Is it any easier or harder to remove and reinstall, accounting for need to clean it as well?  (3)  Is it any easier or harder to inspect for metal?  I hate the hassle of cutting open the filter and pulling the element out of it every time.  

However these are not in widespread use, and I'm not an early adopter - someone else please take the plunge and report back :lol:    

Edited by DXB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DXB said:

Very interesting.  Return on investment here assuming one changes changes the gasket every time seems to be about 15 oil changes, which is less than how many I've done in 4+ years ownership. Thus it should appeal to every CB here who does his own oil changes.  Questions would be (1) does it filter contaminants as effectively? (2) Is it any easier or harder to remove and reinstall, accounting for need to clean it as well?  (3)  Is it any easier or harder to inspect for metal?  I hate the hassle of cutting open the filter and pulling the element out of it every time.  

However these are not in widespread use, and I'm not an early adopter - someone else please take the plunge and report back :lol:    

Yeah, I wonder why there seems to be very few adopters. In addition to your concerns I wonder if how long lifetime is in a real world, does the screen get damaged? Does the aluminum case hold up to the wear and tear of r&r?

I have a filter cutter and cut and examine the paper filter each oil change. I wouldn't miss that task.

BTW, a couple of features sound good - greater through flow and lower indicated oil temp - would be nice. 

https://www.challengeraviation.com/newproducts.html 

• Like 1

Some thoughts about filter materials...

The finer the particle to be caught... the more surface area is used... to keep oil pressure from dropping across the filter....

hence the pleats and big containers of the filter vs. the finger screen in the engine...

I have used laser drilled SS filters for making coffee.... industrial coffee making in the restaurant environment... damage can be a real possibility when mishandled....

When comparing filters... Keep an eye on...

• particle size
  • pressure drop
  • Strength of design

Either way... the part of cutting open the filter I didn’t like, was looking into it... fear of seeing big particles has never gone away.... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Either way... the part of cutting open the filter I didn’t like, was looking into it... fear of seeing big particles has never gone away.... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Agree! I am no doubt headed for a bruising.

I found nothing in the filter last week... again. Blackstone calls it a "nice report". Again. Compressions at last annual were  79/80, 79/80, 78/80, 78/80. Similar to the 4 before that. Yup, something has to be just around the corner.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, quik flite said:

I have one in my toolbox That fit IO360A3B6D in real nice condition Make me an offer , I’ll ship it to you   I will guarantee it is in good shape.   I do have to find it though 

I am more interested in a pirep. How much experience do you have with it? Pros and cons? Are you running with one now? If not, why not? 

I used it for a couple changes but didn’t like cleaning it then assembling it correctly and then always concerned about a leak or the filtration. If I remember correctly it does have magnets in it. I never had any reason for worrying never gave trouble , I have seen similar filters on race engines , I believe it is for ease of inspection for metal and wear particles. 

• Like 1

I apologize for offering mine for sale when what you really wanted was some real experience. I think you’ll be happy with it ,the MSC I used didn’t mind it at all , but when I did my own oil changes it didn’t save any time ,I had to take it in the shop disassemble it ,inspect it clean it and reassemble and install it . With the regular filter I can install and check the old filter when I get around to it

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, quik flite said:

I apologize for offering mine for sale when what you really wanted was some real experience. I think you’ll be happy with it ,the MSC I used didn’t mind it at all , but when I did my own oil changes it didn’t save any time ,I had to take it in the shop disassemble it ,inspect it clean it and reassemble and install it . With the regular filter I can install and check the old filter when I get around to it

I paid $200 for a new in the box Capehart to a Mooney owner who has sold his plane and is cleaning out his hangar. It will take less than a couple of years to pay for the filter with savings on the throw away filters.

7 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

2011. :( 

The long time Mooney owner who is selling me the filter says he used the filter on 2 different Mooneys and never had to replace the seal/o-ring.