Paid my deposit for paint today

Looks like we’re going in for paint in October - Jeff with American Plane Painting Company has been FANTASTIC so far in answering questions and always making himself available for a phone call. I saw a Cherokee he painted in a Miami hurricane scheme (I tried not to judge planes paint job by its school colors). The paint looked amazing as did the line work. He’s at Craig field in Selma Alabama - can’t wait to get this part of my refurb done. So now here’s what we have - 

Don Maxwell annual in May - 

Weep no more for both tank reseals and fuel sender overhauls in july 

Strip and Paint in October. 

Busy (and expensive) year! But it’s all Stuff that really adds to the airplane.

seriously - Jeff at American plane painting is worth a look at it you need a paint job. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Supercop0184 said:

Looks like we’re going in for paint in October - Jeff with American Plane Painting Company has been FANTASTIC so far in answering questions and always making himself available for a phone call. I saw a Cherokee he painted in a Miami hurricane scheme (I tried not to judge planes paint job by its school colors). The paint looked amazing as did the line work. He’s at Craig field in Selma Alabama - can’t wait to get this part of my refurb done. So now here’s what we have - 

Don Maxwell annual in May - 

Weep no more for both tank reseals and fuel sender overhauls in july 

Strip and Paint in October. 

Busy (and expensive) year! But it’s all Stuff that really adds to the airplane.

seriously - Jeff at American plane painting is worth a look at it you need a paint job. 

Great to see another early Mooney getting the love. +1 for the CiES.

i am am planning on getting my 65 E model painted and I am wondering what a quality paint job ballpark price would be and what kind of process i should be looking for. I don't want to go on uninformed so I am wanting to learn from everybodies experiences here so I don't do something stupid that I will regret later. Any suggestions or comments? 

7 minutes ago, Supercop0184 said:

I’ve never heard of the CiES fuel senders....definitely open to it since we’re gonna be in there? What’s their claim to fame?

Use the search function to find a lot of info here. The CiES are super accurate compared to what we're used to. @fuellevel(Scott Philiben) is on MS. 

https://ciescorp.net/applications/small-aircraft/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Supercop0184 said:

I’ve never heard of the CiES fuel senders....definitely open to it since we’re gonna be in there? What’s their claim to fame?

Super accurate digital fuel senders. Mine are bing upgraded to CiES in three weeks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Planegary said:

i am am planning on getting my 65 E model painted and I am wondering what a quality paint job ballpark price would be and what kind of process i should be looking for. I don't want to go on uninformed so I am wanting to learn from everybodies experiences here so I don't do something stupid that I will regret later. Any suggestions or comments? 

You will see prices all the way up to 15 or $20,000. Now, the highest quote I received was 14,900. And he’s trying to get his name out there again as a painter. I would definitely give him a looksee. Jeff quoted me a much better price, for the paint job that I want. For a white with two accent colors, right now he’s around $10,000. I’ve seen his work, and he does an outstanding job. He and his business partner split ways, And he’s trying to get his name out there again as a painter. I would definitely give him a looksee.

3 minutes ago, Planegary said:

I picked up my '66E from Hawk in Tampa in June. ~$12,500 for high quality job, complete strip, remove all control surfaces and access panels, repairs, primer, base white and 4 metallic trim colors, all Imron. (I had several other, higher quotes but Hawk has painted several MS planes.)

IMG_20180710_142725777_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180710_142512734_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Super accurate digital fuel senders. Mine are bing upgraded to CiES in three weeks.

What do these fuel sender’s cost? I’m not necessarily as worried about labor price, as they will be in the wing to reseal it anyway. But have no idea what the senders cost. I have done some looking now that Y’all mention of these things, very interesting.Y’all mention of these things, very interesting.

40 minutes ago, Supercop0184 said:

What do these fuel sender’s cost? I’m not necessarily as worried about labor price, as they will be in the wing to reseal it anyway. But have no idea what the senders cost. I have done some looking now that Y’all mention of these things, very interesting.Y’all mention of these things, very interesting.

About $400 per float.

36 minutes ago, Supercop0184 said:

Do you have an EDM? There might be a cost to convert it to digital to take advantage of the greater precision available. Your C has only 1 sensor per side so a pair of sensors will be less than 1 AMU. Installing the senders is not a big deal. With my JPI EDM 930 I sent the EDM to JPI while we were installing long range bladders. They reprogrammed the EDM for digital and provided a new wiring harness. The senders go into the tank through a hole in the side wall under the door, just the same as the old style. 

1 hour ago, Supercop0184 said:

Roughly $1700 for your M20J

18 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

@Supercop0184 has an M20C.

Fs & Js take 4, Cs & Es only 2. FWIW now that I have 64 gallons the tank, because of the wing dihedral, shows full until about 8 gallons has been used. It is calibrated to read correct at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full. That's 8 gal, 16, 24, and 32. Certification does not allow a high side float for the C/E but it is not an issue in practice since the level is very accurate once the single float comes off the top of the tank. 

3 hours ago, Planegary said:

Try to get to inspect work done by a prospective painter and pay attention to details:

Hawk replaces all hardware with ss. Includes camloc style fasteners on cowl and battery door and nylon cup washers.

Joe also r&rs riveted data plate to paint underneath it.  

IMG_20190216_114358873.jpg

IMG_20190216_114011816.jpg

IMG_20190216_114242300.jpg

IMG_20190216_114306456.jpg

• Like 2

Try to get to inspect work done by a prospective painter and pay attention to details:
Hawk replaces all hardware with ss. Includes camloc style fasteners on cowl and battery door and nylon cup washers.
Joe also r&rs riveted data plate to paint underneath it.  

IMG_20190216_114306456.thumb.jpg.dfa0815b2673a4aca8820b8f2af67d19.jpg

What happen to the rudder, is that bird droppings, or bad painting?
Do you have new windows installed, I would definitely have that done at the same time, I assume they could easily do that.

Tom

Just now, ArtVandelay said:

Don’t they have capacitance senders? I would not bother if they are just float type like OEMs.

Tom

Better than capacitance.  They can put out frequency or volts (for resistance gauges).  Frequency is supposed to be more accurate and consistent.  And they are not like OEM's.  OEM's use a wiper arrangement that relies on a clean surface and consistent contact pressure.  Wear and corrosion make the old style inaccurate as the age.  The Cies floats are contactless so they do not degrade with time.  You should never need to replace or overhaul them.

4 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

What happen to the rudder, is that bird droppings, or bad painting?
Do you have new windows installed, I would definitely have that done at the same time, I assume they could easily do that.

Tom

Bird dropping. I replaced all the "glass" a couple of years ago. The resulting paint issues around the windows was a big factor in getting the plane painted.