Best deal on a IFD navigator right now

MIm20c

Looking at the deals right now on the 440 and 540. The 540 seems to be the best value at $12.5k including a free $2.5k transponder.  I’m torn between the 540 and 440. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good deal on a 440?  Right now they are the same price taking the value of the 322 into account. 

Get the 540- the free transponder makes it worth it.  

I have a 440- it’s great- I got it for 8500 used... but if I’d found a 540 for 10500 used I would have bought that instead. 

The install should be cheap if you have a 430W already installed, too- probably only 2-3 hours- mount a new tray, switch the connectors on the backplate and fill out the paperwork.

your best source for good deals on avionics (other than maybe eBay), is Avionics source.  Chase Is on this board- I’d do a search for avionics source, then PM him and see what he can do for you.

Edited by M016576

I’ve always liked the 530 over the 430 and 750 over the 650. However, I already have a 330es installed and I’ll also have to move my audio panel to make it fit where the 430w is currently installed. The deal is enticing but putting another 4K into the nav and possibly 3k into the aspen gives me pause. If I could find a new or refurb 440 in the 7500-8k region I’d probably jump to avoid the install hassle. 

On 2/15/2019 at 5:04 PM, MIm20c said:

I’ve always liked the 530 over the 430 and 750 over the 650. However, I already have a 330es installed and I’ll also have to move my audio panel to make it fit where the 430w is currently installed. The deal is enticing but putting another 4K into the nav and possibly 3k into the aspen gives me pause. If I could find a new or refurb 440 in the 7500-8k region I’d probably jump to avoid the install hassle. 

What keeps the market price up on the IFD 440 is that GNS430W's are still fetching between $6500 and $7500.

Dealer cost on an IFD440 is $9000, so even if you could get a brand new one out of the box for $9500 and get $7000 for yours its a no-brainer $2500 upgrade - brand new box, new technology, new warranty, IFD100, synthetic vision, etc, etc, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2019 at 8:48 PM, LANCECASPER said:

What keeps the market price up on the IFD 440 is that GNS430W's are still fetching between $6500 and $7500.

Dealer cost on an IFD440 is $9000, so even if you could get a brand new one out of the box for $9500 and get $7000 for yours its a no-brainer $2500 upgrade - brand new box, new technology, new warranty, IFD100, synthetic vision, etc, etc, etc.

I’d take 6500 net anytime on my 430w. I don’t see them moving for that amount on BT and here. Just don’t want to get scammed...

35 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I’d take 6500 net anytime on my 430w. I don’t see them moving for that amount on BT and here. Just don’t want to get scammed...

From the recent sold auction listings on Ebay you could probably come close to that even after paying Ebay's fee.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=78624-7753&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1&_nkw=garmin+430w&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1

Its amazing to me the idea of paying $7k some of them, for a 15 year old piece of electronics when it is both out of date, but more importantly, closer to that unknown date of failure, presumably a lot closer AND the new unit upgrade is marginally not significantly more.  My 430W failed last April - not in an irreparable way - the screen went dark but apparently it was otherwise still working - but considering the cost of repair - I upgraded.

Contact Avidyne and see if they continued their promotion:

https://www.avidyne.com/landing/ifd540-xpdr-promo.asp

I’ve notice that even the big names in avionics don’t update their websites that often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, MinneMooney said:

They did offer a free AXP322 the last time I looked at their ad. Not now.

I noticed Chase pulled it from his ad on BT as well. I hope those that wanted one were able to jump. I didn’t want to deal with selling a 430w and a transponder. 

1 hour ago, Igor_U said:

if you go to Lafayette avionics website, they still advertise IFD540 with remote transponder:

https://avionics-laf.com/collections/avidyne/products/avidyne-ifd540-sbas-com-svt

I also find they have the best prices for Garmin G5s...

Looks like the transponder is a drop shipped item that is sold out. I’m curious if Avidyne is coming out with a new model and might be using the 9000 in the interim? A in/out unit would be great although I think the 9000 really sets the standard.