pitot leak

My avionics shop found a pitot leak in doing my IFR certification.  Static was OK.   They described it as 100 kts./ minute.  I assume this means if you hooked up an airspeed indicator to it and applied pressure to bring it up to 150 Kts. it would take 1 minute to leak down to 50 kts.  This doesn't seem like much of a leak to me.  How much would this affect my indicated airspeed?  Should I try to run this down and fix it or call it good and forget it?

1 hour ago, mooneyflyfast said:

My avionics shop found a pitot leak in doing my IFR certification.  Static was OK.   They described it as 100 kts./ minute.  I assume this means if you hooked up an airspeed indicator to it and applied pressure to bring it up to 150 Kts. it would take 1 minute to leak down to 50 kts.  This doesn't seem like much of a leak to me.  How much would this affect my indicated airspeed?  Should I try to run this down and fix it or call it good and forget it?

IIRC, the pitot system is NOT part of the IFR static system 24 month check, so there shouldn't be a regulatory requirement.  Why did they check it as part of an IFR cert?  If you had some avionics installed, the installation might have required a pitot system check, but otherwise it sounds like someone being excessively thorough or looking for something to fix.  I'd defer it and ask another A&P or IA if there is any doubt.

Your interpretatin of the results is correct.  Seems small, but keep in mind it means you airspeed indicator always indicates lower than acutal.  I don't know that translates to in knots in flight.  Like @jaylw314 said, pitot inspection is not a requirement.  Mooney sets the allowable leak spec., not the FAA.  More details in case you're interested in reading.  25.1325 is the static system and 25.1323 is the airspeed (pitot) system.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2012-title14-vol1/pdf/CFR-2012-title14-vol1-sec25-1325.pdf

He signed off the IFR cert.  Guess the pitot leak was an just incidental finding.  I think the most likely location of the leak would be the pitot drain valve at the forward wing root on the left side.  I dont know whether it could be resealed or would have to be replaced.  If necessary to replace, the availability and cost.  Im afraid I would be opening a bucket of worms. 

2 minutes ago, mooneyflyfast said:

He signed off the IFR cert.  Guess the pitot leak was an just incidental finding.  I think the most likely location of the leak would be the pitot drain valve at the forward wing root on the left side.  I dont know whether it could be resealed or would have to be replaced.  If necessary to replace, the availability and cost.  Im afraid I would be opening a bucket of worms. 

Somebody on here replaced on reciently. I think it was less than $100. Four rivets need to be drilled out and redone.

Somebody on here replaced on reciently. I think it was less than $100. Four rivets need to be drilled out and redone.

I think the pitot and static drains are the same. I replaced my static drain 3 years ago. The static leakage limit for unpressurized airplanes is 100 FPM.

56abc680293f24b3f85feb34da92ec2f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

If it is true that a pilot leak is not part of the IFR cert then it seems the guys who did mine were just looking for some extra work. Fits with the theme of my annual which was done at the same time. Not being open about what is a "must be done" , "should be done" or " nice to be done" item and the costs associated with each thing. Partially my fault for not demanding things. But as a new owner they can smell fresh meat I guess. $1000 for a pitot static cert. They just did it and sent the bill. Didn't even give me the option. Mine was the pitot drain at the wing root. 4 hours to re and re and clean it and tighten. And the interior had already been removed. You win some you lose some I guess, but that's not how you build lasting trusting relationships between mechanics and owners. 

37 minutes ago, khedrei said:

If it is true that a pilot leak is not part of the IFR cert then it seems the guys who did mine were just looking for some extra work. Fits with the theme of my annual which was done at the same time. Not being open about what is a "must be done" , "should be done" or " nice to be done" item and the costs associated with each thing. Partially my fault for not demanding things. But as a new owner they can smell fresh meat I guess. $1000 for a pitot static cert. They just did it and sent the bill. Didn't even give me the option. Mine was the pitot drain at the wing root. 4 hours to re and re and clean it and tighten. And the interior had already been removed. You win some you lose some I guess, but that's not how you build lasting trusting relationships between mechanics and owners. 

Wow, I would be a bit angry. My IFR certs are about $200. If it leaks too much, he goes away and I call him back when it is ready for retest. That is Bashier, the hardest working man in aviation. He runs the local (large) A&P school, runs a substantial avionics and instrument business and I think he still works sometimes at American Airlines. I don't know how he does it.