Aspen with GFC 500?

thomas1142

2 hours ago, Niko182 said:

Practically theses are your options as of now.

Option 1
10 inch or 7 inch TXI, with a G5 as a buckup, running the GFC500, with 430, 530, 650,
or 750 required, while the TXI is running the EIS if you have the 10 inch. If you have
the 7 inch, use a JPI 900.

Option 2
Aspen 1500 MAX, with no backup required, running an Stec3100.
You get the choice of running Avidyne 440, 540, 550, or a GTN in this case.
in option 1 realistically, you need to run everything Garmin. and for an engine
monitor, JPI 900, or 930 since youll have the room if only 2 aspens are going to be taking
up room.

My opinion, avoid getting a 7 inch TXI. The price difference is minimal between the 7 and the 10,
and the 10 inch allows you to run an EIS system, and it will create a cleaner panel overall. Id run
practically recreate what RMAG created as his panel, except has the GFC500 instead of the KFC150.

The KFC150 will require a GAD43- will cover a significant portion of the GFC500- add in the impact of selling the King parts and it’s probably not a big cost difference. There are limitations on the GFC500 requiring GPS, but that seems reasonable to me.

Big screen of the G500txi makes it pretty easy to hand fly an approach. Added capability of the GFC500 (e.g. VNAV, envelope protection) seems like a reasonable trade off. Worst case- can’t shoot a coupled approach and you hand fly without GPS.

The STEC3100 is probably a better autopilot than the GFC500, but personally I would take the bigger screen of the Garmin over the STEC autopilot. 

Eye candy not that important, getting rid of six pack with modern glass—-definitely 

Then by my math,
G5, 7” TXi, GFC, FS will come in around $20000, gives you:
No 6 pack
iPad connection allows it to function as mfd
I would add adsb if you don’t already have it, I would roughly guess $35000-$40000 including installation for all the above.

Tom

12 hours ago, thomas1142 said:

Seems like my best option is to stay with Garmin TXi, GFC 500. This will go well with my GTX 345, GNS 530W and 340 comm. I think RMag set up is the closest to my needs/wants.

I’d wait till Oshkosh this summer if you can. I predict Garmin will roll out a certified G3X touch. The dynamics are there for this to happen. 

Edited by m20kmooney

I’d wait till Oshkosh this summer if you can. I predict Garmin will roll out a certified G3X touch. The dynamics are there for this to happen. 

If they do, I would bet that like the G5, the certified version will have less functionality to make certified testing simpler(cheaper).
But I would not bet on it.

Tom

4 hours ago, m20kmooney said:

I keep hoping this is going to happen too. But I'm getting a little discouraged. I was thinking that a certified Skyview HDX for Mooneys would force Garmin's hand, but now it's anyone's guess when there will be a Skyview STC, and Garmin is presumably selling a few TXi units. 

I'm getting to the point where I'd rather have a G500TXi today than a Skyview in five years. I serious hope it's not that bad - but I'm also getting a little nervous about what will actually be available with the Skyview when it achieves STC.  E.g., no AP on day one. 

1 hour ago, toto said:

I was thinking that a certified Skyview HDX for Mooneys would force Garmin's hand,

No one needs to force Garmin’s hand! A certified G3X touch would fit nicely in the Garmin lineup. And it would put the Aspens and Skyviews out of their misery!

Edited by m20kmooney

3 minutes ago, m20kmooney said:

No one needs to force Garmin’s hand! A certified G3X touch would fit nicely in the Garmin lineup. And it would put the Aspens and Skyviews out of their misery!

That may be true. But Garmin spent a lot of time and money on the TSO device, and they charge TSO prices for it. I suspect they want to recoup their investment, and prematurely selling a bunch of G3X units to people who might otherwise have bought TXi toys is leaving money on the table. 

But if there was a real competitive threat from Dynon, then it would make a lot of sense for Garmin to step into the non-TSO arena. And I suspect that once Dynon is at the gate, Garmin will react with a first-to-market alternative. Probably not called G3X, but something based on the G3X (a la the G5 and GTC500).

Anyway, the longer Dynon takes, the longer Garmin has limited incentive to introduce a cheaper alternative to their own TXi stuff. 

Just now, m20kmooney said:

A certified G3X touch would satisfy those owners who just can’t justify txi cost and who have no other option currently. 

I agree.  I would think that it is a relatively small fraction of the small-GA fleet that will buy TXI.  I mean from 172's, Pipers, through M20C,D,E,F,JJ,(and K!) there are plenty more who I bet who will not buy a TXI some of whom would by G3X.  Maybe many many many more.  Enough more to make a few lost TXI's possibly worth the over all gain.

8 minutes ago, toto said:

and prematurely selling a bunch of G3X units to people who might otherwise have bought TXi toys is leaving money on the table. 

My point exactly! A certified G3X touch would satisfy those owners who just can’t justify txi cost and who have no other option currently. By not having it Garmin leaves money on the table!

55 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

problem would be all the TXi customers jumping in on the G3X .

Huge revenue loss for Garmin.

Right. I'm certainly not saying that Garmin can't make money on a certified G3X (hell, I *want* them to sell a certified G3X, now, if not sooner!). I'm just saying that they invested a lot in the TXi series, and unless the market forces them to adapt to a lower-profit-per-unit environment, they're going to sell their flagship display. 

I really really want Dynon to play the disruptor role effectively, and get some price pressure on Garmin. But until that happens, I'm afraid that Garmin is going to sell as many TXi units as they can (albeit to a different market than Dynon is targeting). And that means we spend $60k on an HDX-equivalent solution (assuming that there's a GFC-500 approval in our future), or we wait for the HDX and see how Garmin responds. 

I'm just getting to the point where my confidence in that competitive non-TSO glass-panel future is waning.