IPad 2-factor authentication?

0TreeLemur

The latest IOS update on iPad is asking me to enable two-factor authentication.   I really don't want to do that because I fear that being without a WiFi connection, say at a remote airport, my IPad won't let me log on.   It seems that a fingerprint should be enough!?!   I consider the iPad to be flight critical hardware because paper maps/charts/plates just aren't in my flight bag anymore.

Anybody have any information or experience that might assuage my fears- or tell me how to say no and fuhgeddaboudit to Apple?  Thx. in advance.

29 minutes ago, DVA said:

2FA is optional, where are you seeing the request pop up?

Last night, I guess IOS updated to V 12.1.1, and today when I first logged in it said I should do it.   There is a red (1) on the settings icon that also directs me to enable 2FA when pressed.   Kind of annoying.   I really don't think I want/need to do that.

you can view the setting and then not choose it and it will no longer "alert". 

The two factor authentication is not for the iPad, but for your iCloud account.     the 2nd factor is a code sent to your idevices when you open a login on a new device.

I have it enabled for all accounts that support 2FA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Clearly... the password to get into your Idevice, does not need to be connected to the internet to make it work... it is all covered locally...

Two factor is a method of having a username and a password... a strong way to keep the bad guys out...

Using your thumb print seems easy enough... but after you are done with the set-up... you suddenly realize your right thumb isn’t near the button very often... your left pointer is there... :) add that too... on several different angles....

With all the electronic pay devices spreading like wildfire.... you may be getting ready to put a credit card on that idevice... using apple pay... 

All of this data will be backed up to the apple cloud...

Suddenly the words relationship banking come to mind... all of your data is going to get out one day... and the bank you have a relationship with is going to want to keep you whole....   :)

Somewhere around N.O. is an iPad with very little personal data on it...  if somebody plugs it in to charge it up in the presence of a WiFi source... it is programmed to say...

I belong to a PP, not a tech guru or apple fanboy... but my phone number is....   call me. :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Except if someone steals an iDevice that’s password protected, it’s worthless, yours is worth $.

If someone stole an iPad and it was password protected I doubt they would return it to its rightful owner, either way its stolen and I'm off to the store to replace it