Kyle Koukol

N187CT - Building Our Dream 201

Recommended Posts

On 2/14/2019 at 10:14 AM, gsxrpilot said:

The wingtips include LED's integrated into them. 

My understanding is that they are available now for the M20J's. They were not available for the K's and that's why I'm flying around with them... testing... so that they can be added to the STC. But the J's are already STC'd.

http://www.aveoengineering.com/crystal-conforma-for-mooney/

 

Paul, what did you do for the rear white nav lights on the 252 wingtips? The tail light on the 252 is a strobe only. 

Edited by squeaky.stow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

3 hours ago, squeaky.stow said:

Paul, what did you do for the rear white nav lights on the 252 wingtips? The tail light on the 252 is a strobe only. 

Nothing, they're not required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 1:03 AM, Kyle Koukol said:

@LANCECASPER, @gsxrpilot, @carusoam, you guys are bad (read: great) influences... I am talking with the US distributor again tomorrow about ordering the AVEO winglets. Emailed the paint shop about having the airplane come in for the winglets to be integrated into the paint scheme. Will keep everyone updated as to the progress. 

Please keep the suggestions coming... we want to see what we can build a 1979 J model into without totally changing what the airplane was originally designed for: going fast- with minimum fuel consumption.

Do you guys know the costs prior to install of the AVEO wingtips?  Also, approximate install time excluding paint?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 9:14 AM, gsxrpilot said:

My understanding is that they are available now for the M20J's. They were not available for the K's and that's why I'm flying around with them... testing... so that they can be added to the STC. But the J's are already STC'd.

http://www.aveoengineering.com/crystal-conforma-for-mooney/

I would double check that these are in fact actually approved for the J.  AVEO's web site says "release to EASA MOD Certification pending status".  I could not find specific information that confirmed current approval.  Based on some prior discussions with AVEO's sales rep, I would be very careful about assuming they are in fact approved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 11:24 AM, Bike_rider said:

I'm in Santa Maria and since we are all helping you spend your money, I can show you what the LoPresti cowling looks like on a 1978 Mooney!  Might as well add that with the new wingtips, which BTW, is making me think about spending too!  Gotta love aviation, if we aren't flying, we are dreaming and scheming but I love them both! 

Oh yes sir I would love to see that! I am bringing 7CT down on 3/7 (tentatively) to SMX. I'll reach out before heading down... that cowling is gorgeous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also forgot to mention in my original post that we added the Precise Flight Speed Brakes to the airplane during the upgrade. I know speed brakes are a hot topic on this forum, I typically only use them for assisting in descents when left high (typically IFR). They have been a great addition.

IMG_3832.thumb.jpg.984e98e5aa94f70a9c54522f0ee0f87b.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:42 PM, Kyle Koukol said:

Oh yes sir I would love to see that! I am bringing 7CT down on 3/7 (tentatively) to SMX. I'll reach out before heading down... that cowling is gorgeous!

The weather here has been unusually rainy with T-storms and lightning last night.  We don't normally see this kind of weather, that's more for the peeps in the middle of the country and summer afternoons in Colorado!  If you are still planning to come down, you can text me at eight oh five, eight-seven-eight, 4425.    If not tomorrow, then anytime.  Your upgrades are fantastic.  I really do like the speed brakes.  I have to do a slip to achieve the same effect and only when it's not IMC.  That would make my internal gyros go crazy and my wife doesn't like it either, even in VMC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 5:17 PM, Kyle Koukol said:

It sure was. I picked is up from KESN when we purchased it.

I had looked at this exact airplane previously! I am based just south of KESN in KCGE. Awesome job on the restoration

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:29 AM, Kyle Koukol said:

Thanks @gsxrpilot, I figured they were good for at least 10 knots and 2,000 fpm climb rate! 

 

Does anyone with a J currently have these winglets installed and have some information on how to purchase?

Just a quick heads up on these wingtips.  I was able to purchase a set but once I got them, I realized that they will not work for an M20J without an existing composite wingtip.  I have the 1978 model without wingtips.  Unfortunately I had to send them back.  I am so bummed because they look fantastic.  Hopefully they will make that more clear in the future and perhaps have a design in the works to support aircraft without wingtips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bike_rider said:

Just a quick heads up on these wingtips.  I was able to purchase a set but once I got them, I realized that they will not work for an M20J without an existing composite wingtip.  I have the 1978 model without wingtips.  Unfortunately I had to send them back.  I am so bummed because they look fantastic.  Hopefully they will make that more clear in the future and perhaps have a design in the works to support aircraft without wingtips.

Yeah I just talked with JD about this. Aveo seems to be a bit confused on the various models of Mooney. He's in the process of now educating them on Mooneys. 

They sure work good and look cool on my 252.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gsxrpilot said:

Yeah I just talked with JD about this. Aveo seems to be a bit confused on the various models of Mooney. He's in the process of now educating them on Mooneys. 

They sure work good and look cool on my 252.

I saw the pics of them on your plane and called them.  Damien had a pair ready to ship, so I jumped on it.  They look fantastic but unfortunately they won't work.  My wife and I were wondering how they would fit once we looked at them and we were right, they didn't.  :(    I guess we got the wider hanger for nothing!  Ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bike_rider said:

I saw the pics of them on your plane and called them.  Damien had a pair ready to ship, so I jumped on it.  They look fantastic but unfortunately they won't work.  My wife and I were wondering how they would fit once we looked at them and we were right, they didn't.  :(    I guess we got the wider hanger for nothing!  Ha!

Yep, just had this same experience yesterday. It's too bad, they really do look nice. Oh well, we are moving forward with our original plan of installing the Whelen LED lights instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kyle Koukol said:

Yep, just had this same experience yesterday. It's too bad, they really do look nice. Oh well, we are moving forward with our original plan of installing the Whelen LED lights instead.

It might be worth a call to Dan up at LASAR to see if they have a used set of these around and then put the Whelens in these.

1094275397_ScreenShot2019-03-15at7_14_13PM.thumb.png.05a8b5d7e7e2c5f3bd9765518984ed59.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone have updates on the AVEO wingtips. I sent an email and got no response from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

anyone have updates on the AVEO wingtips. I sent an email and got no response from them.

What sort of update are you looking for? Your best option is to reach out to JD at SWTA. He's in contact with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

What sort of update are you looking for? Your best option is to reach out to JD at SWTA. He's in contact with them.

well the AML states the the M20S got added to that list, so i was curious if these are an option yet. and if they aren't I'd love to test the prototype for the long bodies too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

well the AML states the the M20S got added to that list, so i was curious if these are an option yet. and if they aren't I'd love to test the prototype for the long bodies too.

Yeah, it would be good if AVEO would answer the phone, but I'm sure if you reach out to JD, he can get you an answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gsxrpilot said:

Yeah, it would be good if AVEO would answer the phone, but I'm sure if you reach out to JD, he can get you an answer.

you mind PM'ing me his number. I don't know what SWTA is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Niko182 said:

you mind PM'ing me his number. I don't know what SWTA is.

PM sent but for everyone else... :D

Southwest Texas Aviation www.swta.net

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

PM sent but for everyone else... :D

Southwest Texas Aviation www.swta.net

 

Thanks. In your opinion, are they worth what you payed for them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Niko182 said:

Thanks. In your opinion, are they worth what you payed for them?

Yeah, that's really hard to say. The benefit is really just in ramp appeal as far as I can tell. I don't know of any performance gain, but it does look cool on the ramp. So for my "forever" airplane and ultimately hoping to have the best/new, 252/Encore in the world, and I can afford it... yeah it's worth it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kyle Koukol It's amazing what you've done.  I have N4679H so probably came out pretty close to yours.  (of course mine doesn't look as good as what you started with lol). I'd love to see it some day for sure!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.