N187CT - Building Our Dream 201

Kyle Koukol

14 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Thanks!  I will sleep much better tonight also knowing that the tops of your two Aspens and the top of your G5 line up perfectly . . lol

1389677534_ScreenShot2019-02-13at5_55_47PM.png.56b3e450f83131a08ce7cab89deb3de8.png

It's a lot of fun spending other people's money. Here are some winglet/leds that would look great on your 201.

http://www.aveoengineering.com/crystal-conforma-for-mooney/

Here's what they look like on a K model (still picture, not a video):

1866463096_ScreenShot2019-02-13at6_34_52PM.thumb.png.330ec0f3aa737005b77bc80089e556d6.png

Lance, I love the winglets, your timing could not have been more perfect. I just took delivery of the Whelen lights, and am dropping the airplane off at the mechanic on Monday to have those installed as well as digital fuel senders. Might be returning the Whelens if these winglets are indeed available. 

1 minute ago, Kyle Koukol said:

Lance, I love the winglets, your timing could not have been more perfect. I just took delivery of the Whelen lights, and am dropping the airplane off at the mechanic on Monday to have those installed as well as digital fuel senders. Might be returning the Whelens if these winglets are indeed available. 

The winglets will make you feel like you are flying the CRJ . . lol

Contact @gsxrpilot, that's his 252 in the picture. He may be able to provide more details. Even if you had to wait a little to install them it would be worth it.

7 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The winglets will make you feel like you are flying the CRJ . . lol

Contact @gsxrpilot, that's his 252 in the picture. He may be able to provide more details. Even if you had to wait a little to install them it would be worth it.

Yep, the wingtips certainly give the plane an additional "Cool" factor. And I'm sure they're good for an additional 10 knots although I have no data to back that up ;)

The wingtips include LED's integrated into them. 

My understanding is that they are available now for the M20J's. They were not available for the K's and that's why I'm flying around with them... testing... so that they can be added to the STC. But the J's are already STC'd.

2 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

At least you know they won't go brittle or crack and they'll easily be changeable.

Congrats on your beautiful restoration.

I particularly like the colour of your panel that will definitely be my colour choice when the time comes.  Is it a very light grey or a particular type of white?

Thank you! I am glad the switches are well received. I was somewhat apprehensive to see how the fellow Mooniacs would receive moving away from the classic rocker switches. The panel is a very light grey. I was concerned when I first saw it that it would produce quite a bit of glare, but it has not been a problem in the slightest. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yep, the wingtips certainly give the plane an additional "Cool" factor. And I'm sure they're good for an additional 10 knots although I have no data to back that up ;)

The wingtips include LED's integrated into them. 

My understanding is that they are available now for the M20J's. They were not available for the K's and that's why I'm flying around with them... testing... so that they can be added to the STC. But the J's are already STC'd.

Thanks @gsxrpilot, I figured they were good for at least 10 knots and 2,000 fpm climb rate! 

Does anyone with a J currently have these winglets installed and have some information on how to purchase?

3 hours ago, bradp said:

I think my two favorite parts of this project are the switches and the chamfered edges on the what is it .090 aluminum.  Great attention to detail. Solid metal switches will last... 

Where’d you source those switches? They look classy 

Also - are the avionics split into two busses thus the left and right switches? 

Wonderful job. 

Brad, 

The switches are Tyco. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/pbcircuitbrkr2.php

The avionics are not split into separate busses, however Airborne installed two independent switches for the Avionics, leading to the same bus. It is essentially to prevent a complete avionics failure due to a faulty CB/ switch. I typically fly with only the left switch ON, that way I know if there is a failure, I can resort to the right hand switch and have the airplane back in the shop ASAP. 

In addition, there is a GROUND COMM switch on the far right side of the panel, installed in the circuit breaker panel. This switch is primarily used for receiving clearances before starting the engine, programming the flight plan while waiting on pax, etc. Should the alternator fail though, this switch allows us to only turn the Garmin 750 on in order to maintain radio contact, situational awareness (location), and preserve battery life until we decide it is practical to provide the remaining electrical power to the rest of the panel.

FWIW, the only thing I feel that we missed on this panel install is a push-to-talk (PTT) installed somewhere on the panel itself. Ideally I would like to put one in the empty space on the left side. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kyle Koukol said:

Thanks @gsxrpilot, I figured they were good for at least 10 knots and 2,000 fpm climb rate! 

Does anyone with a J currently have these winglets installed and have some information on how to purchase?

Your winglets will look more modern than a Mooney Acclaim

358685424_ScreenShot2019-02-14at5_51_55PM.thumb.png.61ec9ebe995c9d163f46025958930a56.png

I sense Roy LoPresti following this thread....  :)

No, no, no.... I said integration... not just addition...  :)

The TKS has a slightly different radius/shape than the leading edge of the Mooney wing.  It becomes really obvious at the wingtip... could also be the explanation of why TKS planes are slower..?

The older Mooneys have a few lights that aren’t very aerodynamic... but they are hidden behind a clear window that is nicely integrated...

The Aveo guys really did a nice job combining lighting technology and aerodynamics...

Mooney really has that room for improvement in the plan....

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Your winglets will look more modern than a Mooney Acclaim

358685424_ScreenShot2019-02-14at5_51_55PM.thumb.png.61ec9ebe995c9d163f46025958930a56.png

@LANCECASPER, @gsxrpilot, @carusoam, you guys are bad (read: great) influences... I am talking with the US distributor again tomorrow about ordering the AVEO winglets. Emailed the paint shop about having the airplane come in for the winglets to be integrated into the paint scheme. Will keep everyone updated as to the progress. 

Please keep the suggestions coming... we want to see what we can build a 1979 J model into without totally changing what the airplane was originally designed for: going fast- with minimum fuel consumption.

Edited by Kyle Koukol
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Kyle Koukol said:

We are in the progress of installing those winglets to our EASA-reg J. It took nearly a year to get the paperwork accomplished (EASA minor change). I believe it should be a formality to transfer it into an FAA STC, albeit I have no clue what the time line would be. I have only contacts to Aveo in Germany/EU. PM me if you want his details, he might be able to point out a contact in the US.

You really want the winglets to be painted after installation. Keeping them in the white, gel coat look will leave you with a greenish, horizontal scar from the production process.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kyle Koukol said:

The avionics are not split into separate busses, however Airborne installed two independent switches for the Avionics, leading to the same bus. It is essentially to prevent a complete avionics failure due to a faulty CB/ switch. I typically fly with only the left switch ON, that way I know if there is a failure, I can resort to the right hand switch and have the airplane back in the shop ASAP. 

Putting a CB switch on top of CBs for the coms is a little wacky.  It makes trouble shooting weird.  But electronic theories class was a long time ago.  Do each of the com master switch control a single relay or did they install another one.  The standard Mooney relay already  has a fail safe in it is NC. for coms.    35 amps is a little high for controlling the relay.  If the relay(s) is gone, then 35 amps is way low since you have 54 Amps of com.  If it was just to be a cool factor thing then just carry on.

I think your estimate of 54 amps is excessive, considering modern avionics' current draws.

Regardless, the 35 amp breaker switch doesn't control a relay, it provides current directly to the avionics bus.  The second switch is for redundancy/safety, not "cool factor".  I've been seeing more avionics shops using this rationale for supplying current to the avionics bus for modern radios.

28 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I think your estimate of 54 amps is excessive, considering modern avionics' current draws.

Regardless, the 35 amp breaker switch doesn't control a relay, it provides current directly to the avionics bus.  The second switch is for redundancy/safety, not "cool factor".  I've been seeing more avionics shops using this rationale for supplying current to the avionics bus for modern radios.

I just added up the CB in the com panel.   Which yes are probably overrated for the new equipment.  But still you have this bad mismatch of amps.  The second switch provides no "safety" and actually provides less safety because you are now running a 35 amp wire from the CB panel all the way across the panel that is not protected.  The wire on the way back to the com buss is protected.   You will never trip the 35 amp breaker because the first in line breaker will pop (alibet they are overrated for current equipment)    Also why keep the different sides of the radio Comm/Nav   With the kx155 Bendix says  tie those together.    Not sure if Garmin wants them separate.

2 hours ago, Andy95W said:

I understand your point about the unprotected wire.  The safety I was referring to was the redundancy of a second switch to provide power to the avionics bus.  It would suck to lose all avionics because of a single $40 breaker switch.

If you are going to the trouble, make it two busses.   Com 1 and Com 2.  More redundancy, easier to shed load.  It would just be one more wire to run across the panel. If the dreaded falling screw shorts the com buss bar right now, all your coms are gone.

9 hours ago, Sams said:

We are in the progress of installing those winglets to our EASA-reg J. It took nearly a year to get the paperwork accomplished (EASA minor change). I believe it should be a formality to transfer it into an FAA STC, albeit I have no clue what the time line would be. I have only contacts to Aveo in Germany/EU. PM me if you want his details, he might be able to point out a contact in the US.

You really want the winglets to be painted after installation. Keeping them in the white, gel coat look will leave you with a greenish, horizontal scar from the production process.

Those wingtips are awesome!  I am going to have to do some research! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kyle Koukol said:

@ZuluZulu if a trip down to SMO occurs in the future, I'll be sure to let you know. I sincerely appreciate the kind words and look forward to sharing this airplane with our fellow Mooniacs!

I'm in Santa Maria and since we are all helping you spend your money, I can show you what the LoPresti cowling looks like on a 1978 Mooney!  Might as well add that with the new wingtips, which BTW, is making me think about spending too!  Gotta love aviation, if we aren't flying, we are dreaming and scheming but I love them both! 

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

Sorry, I'm not getting into an argument over an airplane that neither of us has seen first-hand or worked on.

Who's arguing.   We are putting out there ideas on how to improve panels if you are going to the trouble to rethink things.   At least that what I was doing.