First post and introduction

Runway37

I bought a 1963? Cessna 150 in 1976 and learned to fly it at 4B9 Simsbury CT. Zero aviation history in the family - in fact neither of my parents had ever flown! After a few years of VFRing around New England and Long Island Sound, I got Mooney Fever and sold N60619 for $200 more than I paid for it after putting a few hundred hours on it. Wow, this is easy! I'm willing to bet a $100 cheeseburger that I would win the worst Mooney purcha$e ever in this forum. I was young and there was no internet. Besides, it had curtains!  I'll leave the gruesome story for another day though and rest assured after fixing everything, our Mooney Days were some of the best memories in our lives. Taking off from 4B9 with snorkels and fins in baggage and snow drifts beside the runway was priceless. The next day we were snorkeling off the front porch in the Bahamas.

We now live in Pagosa Springs, CO under the downwind to base turn for 19 at PSO. It's a beautiful airport, elevation is 7600. My wife always wanted to live in Colorado and it is beautiful here, but I'm cold and we're still renovating the house after two years of intense labor. But we're almost done and I don't know why (smart enough to not ask), but a while ago my wife just, I mean she just said it, like out of nowhere "why dont you get an airplane, we can afford it?"  I'd totally dismissed the idea when we had kid$. They're grown now and part of all this is one is a 5 hour drive away, the other 4. I dont have my logbook. I'm old. I still have a bathroom to remodel.

But I did see the AME yesterday and came away encouraged though more paperwork is required. Wish me luck.

Thanks for being here, it's a wonderful forum.

20180927_111917.jpg

• Like 9

Welcome aboard!

About 2 1/2 years ago my wife, knowing I have dreamed of flying my entire life and having two grandkids coming the next year about a month apart and a 10 hour drive away said "Why don't you get your pilot's license and a plane so we can see the grandkids more often?" I scheduled my first lesson and took it within the week. Having a supportive spouse is great!

• Like 2

Love Pagosa Springs and South Fork.  And Wolf Creek ski area   My deal with my wife is that when I need to "go".   She drives me to the to top of Wolf Creek Pass and sends me off on my bike (or wheel chair) as many times as it takes till I "don't make it" .   Rode my bike through there in 2001 on Ride the Rockies.   Little did I know my several years later wife to be was there at the same time.

Welcome aboard

Looked up your old plane.  It was registered until about 6 years ago and last seen in Washington.

It maybe sitting on a ramp somewhere waiting for you to return.

However, that may not be the way you want to get back into flying but it would be interesting to get you old E model back.

:o:(

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000125557.html

Edited by 1964-M20E

3 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Welcome aboard!

About 2 1/2 years ago my wife, knowing I have dreamed of flying my entire life and having two grandkids coming the next year about a month apart and a 10 hour drive away said "Why don't you get your pilot's license and a plane so we can see the grandkids more often?" I scheduled my first lesson and took it within the week. Having a supportive spouse is great!

My awesome wife did not wait until we had grandchildren. Pretty much out of the blue, she put 2 hours of flying lessons and a couple of books under the Christmas tree in 1968. Our first daughter was about 16 months old at the time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

My awesome wife did not wait until we had grandchildren. Pretty much out of the blue, she put 2 hours of flying lessons and a couple of books under the Christmas tree in 1968. Our first daughter was about 16 months old at the time. 

I was 3 years old at that time. :D  I had to wait another 18 years tog get my PPL.

Aviation ran shallow in my family... my Dad had a book... titled...  Anyone Can Fly.

Our first Mooney was bought to get grandchildren to their grandparents... 200nm

our oldest MSers are in their 80s...

You can learn a lot about Mooney flying here...

Welcome aboard!:)

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you all for the nice welcome. I propose a prune juice toast to all the wonderful wives that accommodate and encourage the dreams that keep us going. 1964-M20E thanks for the link to my old airplane - what a hoot! I can't tell if the curtains are still there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

Welcome aboard youngster. You don’t sound that old to us. We know where you can get some prune juice cheap.

A picture of a few of us at the last get together.

838e81a0aaf5c58a8da25e9eb85d6169.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You guys were just waiting on your dates to arrive.

48725109-0CD0-4C13-B979-CD97348C84BA.jpeg

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

Says the guy who names his plane "Miss Piggy". Hmmm...

I wish there was a rolling on the floor laughing icon here.:)

Yeah, my Cessna has gained so much weight since she was born that she earned the nick name and if she were a girl in a bikini, she would belong in that picture.:)

• Like 1

We were young, semi-comfortably settled in a small northern Ohio town, with two children under two, a tiny old house, a thriving and 24/7 country-doctor practice, and papa was quite satisfied with his lot in life. Mama not so much, maybe. Wee town, cold, cold, cold, snow, gray, lonely Southern girl, very demanding babies, not cut out, it seemed, for housewifery. The women I knew were much into canning, quilting, daily vacuuming, and comparing pregnancies. Arggghhh! Our Hero suggested (in the course of a lengthy one-way gripe-fest) I consider signing up for flying lessons.  Um, sayWHAT? “Cheaper than psychiatry,” he shrugged. Not true, I suspect, but who, me? Argue with male logic? He still happily occupies the right seat, now in a lovely Screaming Eagle, snoozing contentedly, on his way to see the world’s finest grandchildren.

• Like 11