Help with part identification

vorlon1

6 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

It appears to be just a "filler" to cover the notch in a panel cut out. A VSI does not have a adjustment knob that an altimeter has. 

I suppose an avionics shop would have a box full of such parts left over from upgrades.

VSI.JPG

Yeah, I asked. My shop; not so much, and I am missing three... :-/

This is why I have lots of stuff laying around.     To spend lots of time fabricating a 50 cent part.    Maybe go for the black lexan.   Or cut up a black computer keyboard and get to sanding.  And I would feel validated on purchasing a nice sanding station.

• Like 2

This is why I have lots of stuff laying around.     To spend lots of time fabricating a 50 cent part.    Maybe go for the black lexan.   Or cut up a black computer keyboard and get to sanding.  And I would feel validated on purchasing a nice sanding station.
Actually in this case you should join EAA and get the free Solidworks download, draw up a filler piece with a hole, then buy a 3D printer and make the $0.50 part that way.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

Actually in this case you should join EAA and get the free Solidworks download, draw up a filler piece with a hole, then buy a 3D printer and make the $0.50 part that way.

It's a very nice Delta sanding station.   Got to keep the fabricating skilz up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

My kind of thinking.

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

You're 'killin me! lol

You are making this more complicated than it is.

I don't think you can order the part and the cutout is a standard cutout for altimeter instrument that, for some reason is done on other location (VSI).

If I were you, I'd take a piece of paper and trace the contour of the cutout, then transfer that to Al sheet of a same thickness as you panel. Cut it, trim or file to that size, drill an appropriate hole for the screw and paint it black to match you panel.

Good luck.

19 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

You are making this more complicated than it is.

I don't think you can order the part and the cutout is a standard cutout for altimeter instrument that, for some reason is done on other location (VSI).

If I were you, I'd take a piece of paper and trace the contour of the cutout, then transfer that to Al sheet of a same thickness as you panel. Cut it, trim or file to that size, drill an appropriate hole for the screw and paint it black to match you panel.

Good luck.

I think you are making it more complicated with all that fancy planning and transfer....   cut out.  sand it close walk to plane.  see if fits.  trim it up and bevel the edges