Suction gauge Requirements?

Niko182

Within the next 4 days, I'm having a JPI 900 installed and the plan was to remove the Moritz gauges and the JPI 700.
One thing I found out was that the 900 doesn't have a suction gauge, but the Moritz gauges do. Should I keep the Moritz gauges
gauges in the aircraft, or remove them and install something like this...
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/in/suction/suctiongauges1.php
10-00311 is the one I'd get as it's certified.
I just need something until the vacuum system is removed hopefully within the next year.

Within the next 4 days, I'm having a JPI 900 installed and the plan was to remove the Moritz gauges and the JPI 700.
One thing I found out was that the 900 doesn't have a suction gauge, but the Moritz gauges do. Should I keep the Moritz gauges
gauges in the aircraft, or remove them and install something like this...
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/in/suction/suctiongauges1.php
10-00311 is the one I'd get as it's certified.
I just need something until the vacuum system is removed hopefully within the next year.

Do you have a vacuum idiot light in your annunciator panel? I wonder if that will suffice until you remove the vacuum system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Do you have a vacuum idiot light in your annunciator panel? I wonder if that will suffice until you remove the vacuum system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do but I think it runs off the Mortiz gauges as in the Moritz decides whether the light turns on or not.

I have a separate vac gauge... in ‘94 the Long Bodies got a pair of idiot unnunciator lights....  just not enough for the PO, a modern non-pro pilot...

I was thinking a JPI900 should have the ability to add vacuum detail including an alarm upon failure high and low... check the 900’s option list?

vac pump failure in IMC is an emergency... how long do you want to wait to find out....

With the JPI collecting data... you may not see any evidence of vac pump wear, until it can’t keep up with the regulator...

Vac problem solving will be a lot easier....

Best regards,

-a-

My plane requires the annunciator lights... in place of the vac gauge... makes sense 99.9% of the time...

The original owner of my plane must have not liked being in the dark about the vac level...

Constantly thinking a bulb could burn out... without any notice...  :)

A dual failure of bulb and pump would cause some danger... 

Having the gauge... it is part of the instrument scan...

to include the annunciator in the scan  would require hitting the test button each time... to get the full effect...

Best regards,

-a-

According to the installation manual the JPI 900 does allow some some customization on a few of the non primary channels.   I wonder if it would be possible to use another manifold pressure sensor to determine the pressure in your vacuum system. Not enough detail in the manual to tell how much latitude ( scaling, labeling,etc..)  was available in the customization.    Maybe worth a call to JPI

Bill

No vacuum gauge on my J. It does have the annunciator light for high/low vac which I check during every pre-flight. My vacuum attitude indicator is backup to my Aspen. I suppose i should consider an electric standby to just remove the entire vacuum system but at this point think i'm just going to wait until it fails.

Hello Nik - 

There is no way to have Vac displayed on the EDM 900.  You can keep your left Moritz gauge but what I would do since you are planning on pull the whole vac system is instal one of the gauges you linked from spruce in a place where the hole can be plugged in a cosmetically pleasing way.  I was thinking on the plate where your factory gauges are then just make a new plate when you get rid of the vac system.  Even if it is not required in your type certificate data sheet I would still want to have a vac indication.  I am looking forward to meeting you in Vegas once the weather clears up!  Fly safe!

Sanjeev

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeev said:

Hello Nik - 

There is no way to have Vac displayed on the EDM 900.  You can keep your left Moritz gauge but what I would do since you are planning on pull the whole vac system is instal one of the gauges you linked from spruce in a place where the hole can be plugged in a cosmetically pleasing way.  I was thinking on the plate where your factory gauges are then just make a new plate when you get rid of the vac system.  Even if it is not required in your type certificate data sheet I would still want to have a vac indication.  I am looking forward to meeting you in Vegas once the weather clears up!  Fly safe!

Sanjeev

Put in a USB power outlet when you remove the vacuum indicator - that's what I did.

image.png.15d5e2817c02bb70b2e9b60128b415ea.png

• Like 1