Polar Vortex Flying

GLJA

So, after 2 weeks of snow shoveling, bundling up, walking the dog, only to have the dog not actually want to go for a walk, and looking at weather forecasts, the temperature FINALLY hit my typical minimum of -20 C (that's -4 F for you kids keeping score in the US). 

Turned on the engine preheat, tossed a ceramic heater in the plane to warm up the cabin and gyros. Came back 3 hours later to take the plane out for a much needed "flight fix" remedy. 

I've flown in -15 to -20 when I was completing my PPL, and the heat in the cabin was bearable. Even with my F, in -5 to -10, I was still having to reduce the cabin heat, as to not burn my legs through my jeans. But, Sunday.... I could see my breath in the plane. My poor 7 year old (who also had the "let's go flying bug") was shivering. The plane just wouldn't get warm. 

CHT's never got above 280 the entire flight, due to the OAT. 

Does anyone have a heating remedy to this? The Vents were pumping slightly warm air, nothing hot about it. And you guys in Texas, Florida, and California can just not answer and say "I just put on a sweater when it's below 80". We get it... it's warmer there. :P

1 hour ago, GLJA said:

So, after 2 weeks of snow shoveling, bundling up, walking the dog, only to have the dog not actually want to go for a walk, and looking at weather forecasts, the temperature FINALLY hit my typical minimum of -20 C (that's -4 F for you kids keeping score in the US). 

Turned on the engine preheat, tossed a ceramic heater in the plane to warm up the cabin and gyros. Came back 3 hours later to take the plane out for a much needed "flight fix" remedy. 

I've flown in -15 to -20 when I was completing my PPL, and the heat in the cabin was bearable. Even with my F, in -5 to -10, I was still having to reduce the cabin heat, as to not burn my legs through my jeans. But, Sunday.... I could see my breath in the plane. My poor 7 year old (who also had the "let's go flying bug") was shivering. The plane just wouldn't get warm. 

CHT's never got above 280 the entire flight, due to the OAT. 

Does anyone have a heating remedy to this? The Vents were pumping slightly warm air, nothing hot about it. And you guys in Texas, Florida, and California can just not answer and say "I just put on a sweater when it's below 80". We get it... it's warmer there. :P

Yeah, move to Florida.

Just now, GLJA said:

Aside from the 16 hour Mooney commute to work, I don't see any other reason why not. 

Whatever it is you do, they do it in Florida.  That said, i wouldn't move there myself.  I don't tend to fly the Vortex though, if its that uncomfortable out I really don't want to be outside preflighting an airplane.  I think the coldest I've flown was Saturday, when we departed in the low teens.  But we had a mission.

Did you have the vent open mixing with the heat - ie both knobs pulled?  If it’s real cold out, I have to leave the heat on full and then slightly modulate the vent to get the right temp. All manually controlled air (left pilot knee vent and top vents) closed. I’m usually good down to about -15c in cruise.  Never had my engine temps that low though... lean in the climb to target egt?  Cowl flaps closed?  

Its cold in Washington, but not that cold!

25 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Did you have the vent open mixing with the heat - ie both knobs pulled?  If it’s real cold out, I have to leave the heat on full and then slightly modulate the vent to get the right temp. All manually controlled air (left pilot knee vent and top vents) closed. I’m usually good down to about -15c in cruise.  Never had my engine temps that low though... lean in the climb to target egt?  Cowl flaps closed?  

Its cold in Washington, but not that cold!

Cabin vent fully closed. I opened the knee vents halfway through the flight to see if that would increase heat. Not so much!

I am at the point that, if I ever have to go back out in weather that cold, I’ll be putting the winter survival gear on PRIOR to cranking the prop. 

Max heat generation...

• Mixture at peak
  • WOT
  • Select altitude to generate high MP, and FF....
  • generates the most heat

Use the heater wisely...

• Max heat from the heater
  • Min air from the outside supply
  • Air comes out of four locations, update hoses if it doesn’t...
  • CO monitor...

Minimize heat loss from the cabin...

• update your insulation, pics in threads... starting at the fire wall, back to the tail....
  • block openings... boots on all things
  • Make sure all air vents are closing completely

Dress properly... you are in, or will be in, a hazardous environment.

PP thoughts only, not a yeti...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I flew a few weeks ago and the wind chill was -20F, OAT was -10F.   I preheated the engine and then gave the plane some extra time to heat up on the ground....mostly for the seals on the engine and prop to get warm.

Inside wasn't hot it was probably 45-50F inside the cabin.   We were dressed for cold weather ](long underwear, etc) because of the cold at pre-flight, post-flight and in case we had a forced landing.

It wasn't that bad, you just need to dress for the weather and think ahead.

Performance was incredible ;-P

2 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

I flew a few weeks ago and the wind chill was -20F, OAT was -10F.   I preheated the engine and then gave the plane some extra time to heat up on the ground....mostly for the seals on the engine and prop to get warm.

Inside wasn't hot it was probably 45-50F inside the cabin.   We were dressed for cold weather ](long underwear, etc) because of the cold at pre-flight, post-flight and in case we had a forced landing.

It wasn't that bad, you just need to dress for the weather and think ahead.

Performance was incredible ;-P

I think that's my plan next time for sure. 

As far as performance, I was on Enroute climb speed, and still getting 1300 fpm. 

• Like 1