Contrarian attitude in your CFI

Yetti

Fire him. The CFI works for me, not the other way around. 

When I decided to start learning to fly. I went looking for an agreeable CFI. I interviewed five different CFI's. I flew with two of them. I told them it was a trial lesson that I was paying for and I would make a final decision after. I settled on one and used him all the way through the Private, Instrument, transition training for my Mooney, flight reviews, etc. until he finally retired and hung it up.

• Like 2

@gsxrpilot I agree, my CFII I've used for the past 12 years is now a DPE and stays really busy and away from the area. Spent the last 2+ years looking (not real hard) for a CFI to finish up my Commercial been through 5, 2 I really liked but the airlines liked them more.......

• Like 1

I had a contrarian CFI.  He insisted that climbs needed to be done at 2600/26, in no case was I ever to put the engine in an "over squared" configuration, and thought that lean of peak blow up an engine in a hurry.  CFI's are hard to find around here so I kept bringing him articles that debunked those.  Fortunately, he was open minded enough to realize they may be on to something.  In an area with more CFI's available, I would have just moved on.

2 hours ago, m20kmooney said:

Respect him/her for being a CFI. Even though you may not agree both sides can always learn from each other. Popular belief or opinion isn’t always correct. 

A nice thought ,but in a training environment student to instructor ,a lot to ask...I tend to agree with gsxr unless he is the last CFI on the planet

• Like 1

I am not feeling a lot of respect for my brethren here :( But its very saddening to read there are instructors out there like @skydvrboy has had to endure. That's certainly a very legitimate complaint and not that many instructors know much about engine management but I wonder what are some of the others complaints you folks have. Hopefully its not arguing about what the ACS standards are these days.  

• Like 1

@kortopates  Don't get me wrong, I still think he was/is a great instructor.  He has a tremendous wealth of experience as a Wright Brothers Master Pilot who grew up on an airport and has been flying ever since.  He even owned an F until 2000, so he knew my plane inside and out.  He was just stuck in what he had learned many years ago and viewed me as the know-nothing new kid.  We get along well now and fly together a couple times a year as friends.

• Like 2

The instructor types I will never tolerate is a screamer or one that belittles a student.

I’ve been fortunate that I have had neither (Though I did have a know it all). I have spoken to pilots who have had really bad instructors and yet they still come back for more.

I think the attribute of a good instructor is the ability to adapt their style to accommodate the learning style of the student. Some people are visual learners, others need verbal instruction. Others need a combination of both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro