Propeller Vortelator

Sandman993

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Don’t forget to collect the before and after data...

If it magically works, it will be hard to get the before data later...

Strap in tightly... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Haha... I’m bad about the before data as you know. Like a kid, it’s all about that instant gratification. I can give you data on cowl flaps, open vs closed. I’m from Texas and if this little piece of tape adds anything significant to airspeed indicator or rpms, I’ll eat my hat. Hopefully the straw one. But, I’m gonna try it.

Another fella here, mentioned possible paint degradation under the tape. Geez, I hope not! I’ve been using a prop boot for a couple years and about to replace. Don’t see anything under it so far, but I’ll know more when it’s removed. The 3m adhesive accelerator worries me. I can definitely give before data for that since the prop was fresh when the film boot was applied. But those nicks are fewer where the boot is.

Going for curb feelers next! Trying to avoid those taxiway reflector turtles!!!

• Like 1

I get the feeling the cowl width and closeness makes the first couple of inches of the prop an interesting compromise...

As the mod in Jack’s pic above seems to match the cowl width pretty well... something to help Pressurize the cowling better for cooling?

PP thoughts only not an aero-engineer...

Best regards,

-a-

That thing looks like a whale shark. They do offer some cowl mods for those. I think, like the older Mooney’s along with the Comanche and other 60’s era planes, might have had cooling issues with those oversized openings. A friend with a Comanche 250 wants a new style cowl... and says that alone is a huge improvement where speed is concerned... probably way better cooling as well. The problem seems to be... the opening is bigger than the exit and causes a pressure build up, that spills some of the cooling air back out... (reminds me of my dear mother n law).

Don’t know the first thing about that fancy propeller... but my scientific knee jerk reaction would wager, it has the abilities a piece of tape can only dream about. Haven’t installed prop vortelator, am waiting for first warm weekend. It’s been too cold... stand by for new details. I know everyone is on the edge of their seats.

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...

I've had the vortelators on my Aztec props for two years now. Before and after data from my Insight G4 and TAS1000 air data computers indicates that the engine max RPM increases by 20-30 RPM, and the engine cooling is improved by the increased airflow at the blade roots, where the cowl inlets are. 

I removed them the following year to repaint the props. Left them off for a month, and that data set matches the original, pre-mod data. So of course I put a new set back on.

They work, and the attached file explains the theory.

1Vortelator.pdf

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

I’m still putting these things in the same category as Intake Vornado’s and fuel line magnets.

Sorry, the intake magnets only work on carbureted engines!  :D

My initial thought was to relegate this to the same round file as the infamous turbo encabulator, but there is a user in the wild who posted real engine monitor data with and without the propeller vortellators, which is what everyone asks for with all speed mods. Let's at least look at the data before making up our minds and tossing the baby with the bath water.

Might work. I think the theory is sound.

I flew one day a while back when the air was pretty thick with wildfire smoke. It left interesting patterns on the prop. You can see the transition from laminar to turbulent flow and you can see the trails left behind little imperfections in the eroded paint at the leading edge which acted as vortex generators.

Skip

IMG_5018.JPG.132385e1351980f159911f37fb607aa1.JPG

• Like 5