New vs overhauled

air cooled dad

Had an overhauled alternator installed in my plane during the last annual.  Failed during climbout the other day. Pulled the brushes out and found the broken wire as seen in the picture. 

My mechanic states he has had more issues with overhauled parts over the last few years and encourages owners to just purchase new if they can.  Have others here noticed less than desirable results with purchasing overhauled components vs new?  

The good news is this was an easy fix.   Plus we didn’t have to remove the lower cowl and remove the alternator.  

1975 F

aerotech al-y 8520 60amp

2647DF04-C33F-441B-9943-EB75783BDE4C.jpeg

20144C1C-7DE0-485D-B0B8-023C4111CD33.jpeg

• Like 1

Not really.  I've had both fail including governors (overhauled and then new...), fuel pumps, mags, etc.  It's been a crap shoot for me as to which may or may not fail sooner.  I've been able to recoup the cost of a newly failed components, but the down time still stinks...

If a new part is close enough in price to the overhauled, I'll just buy new and drive on.

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by flight2000
  • Like 1

There is an unavoidable amount of infant mortality with new parts whether installed into new appliances or overhauled ones. The fact is I can overhaul an alternator for about 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of new; even replacing a rotor. So that’s a no brained for me. But with a vacuum pump there is very little difference in cost between new and overhaul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I just replaced mine after it failed. I went with new because I saved 9 lbs off the nose of my plane. I kept the old one and will have it overhauled and keep it in the hangar next to the extra magnetos and spark plugs. Those are the only things that have failed and kept me grounded for a period of time and want to have handy.

A broken wire connector?

Was that replaced with the OH?

The wires look a bit stressed the way they are placed there... a bit of extra stress on the low cost connectors...

Its hot, and the vibration is pretty high.

See if you can get a better look at how the wires are supposed to go between those two points...

Doing it the same way looks like the next connector is going to see the same crazy stress...

want to ask Clarence?

Best regards,

-a-