Aero Safe standby vacuum pump

M20R

Today I turned on the Aero Safe standby vacuum pump to test the system which I do on a regular basis. The pump would not come on and then I could smell an electrical smoke. I opened the side panel and the electric motor on the pump was very hot and the wires had turned black. The motor appears to have seized. For some reason the circuit breaker did not open. 

I checked the aero safe web site and I could not find out whether they sell just the motor.

Does any one know if anyone repairs these motors or where to find a replacement motor. Everything is electric except the artificial horizon. I was planning on putting in the King KI 300 but I don't think they will ever be available.

There is a discussion around here regarding the PVC tubing that was used on some installations in later Long Bodies....

It is possible that you may have the Bad tubing?

The plasticizer came out of the tubing’s PVC material, possibly contaminating the pump?

this is a bit of a stretch, since there should be a rubber coupling to separate the vac pump from the motor...

Either way, an electrical overload should have triggered a CB to trip.

http://www.aerosafe.net/

Got any pics?

An Aspen E5 might make a better alternative... :)

Best regards,

-a-

15 hours ago, M20R said:

Today I turned on the Aero Safe standby vacuum pump to test the system which I do on a regular basis. The pump would not come on and then I could smell an electrical smoke. I opened the side panel and the electric motor on the pump was very hot and the wires had turned black. The motor appears to have seized. For some reason the circuit breaker did not open. 

I checked the aero safe web site and I could not find out whether they sell just the motor.

Does any one know if anyone repairs these motors or where to find a replacement motor. Everything is electric except the artificial horizon. I was planning on putting in the King KI 300 but I don't think they will ever be available.

Probably cheaper to buy this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aerosafe-Aircraft-Auxiliary-Vacuum-pump-28VDC-P-N-820904-2-Complete-System/232917904241?hash=item363afd2b71:g:HZ0AAOSwCxdauyND:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

275690501_ScreenShot2019-02-11at12_32_26PM.thumb.png.bbc554616cebcbdef64d8fb2ce0c2269.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Regardless of what you decide, I would recommend having someone check the wiring to see how badly damaged it is from the switch back to the pump. Blackened wiring might fall under the "not airworthy" category.

• 10 months later...