KI 525A replacement

milotron

HI, I may have to replace my existing KI 525A HSI as the CRS/OBS pointer isn't sending consistent heading data to the GPS.  My part number is the most basic one.

Most that I have seen available as good, used units have the bootstrap output, 30/400Hz options and some have glideslope damping.  Are this compatible with my unit?

Also, anybody have experience with the KI 825? It needs a small amount of wiring but is almost a straight swap.

thanks,

I looked at a Bravo that was equipped with one when I was shopping for a Bravo.  I asked several shops about them.  None thought they were all that reliable and said repairs would be at KingAir pricing.  You could find a replacement unit for your KI 525A as many pilots have traded for Aspens or Garmins.  You might also get your unit overhauled.  Also the KI 825 has an awful small screen.

I am not convinced it is the unit. If I jiggle the connector/wiring in the back it comes to life. It also does read part of the heading range.  Looking at how this circuit operates I suspect it may be a loose conductor in the connector in the back. The OBS resolver uses 4 sets of shielded wires.

When I get the plane back from annual I will investigate further. I think it has been like this for a long time and since I never use VOR on the nav 1 I have not missed this function.