Autopilot recommendation for 1968 M20C

My 1968 M20C have original panel with basic instruments, my friend is selling his GNS430 non-waas and he offered to give it to me at big discount, I'm thinking to upgrade my panel and have an autopilot coupled to that GPS, any recommendations for autopilot, or any thoughts about my options, and what budget I should expect

Your help is always appreciated. 

(Note: I do alot of IFR flying) 

I had an STEC 30 with altitude hold and GPSS installed in an M20E for roughly $16K back in 2010.  Others have had success with installing older Brittain auto pilots if you can find one for sale.  I loved flying IFR with that system even though I had to manage the decent manually, which was supper easy.

The STEC 3100 digital a/p is coming out for the M20 series, but don't know the timefame for certification.  STEC advertises the 3100 for $20K plus install - $9K if you have an STEC already installed.

There may be others out there, but I haven't really paid to much attention to them after I had the 30 installed and both of my other planes had STECs already installed when I bought them. 

Cheers,

Brian

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Janat83 said:

My 1968 M20C have original panel with basic instruments, my friend is selling his GNS430 non-waas and he offered to give it to me at big discount, I'm thinking to upgrade my panel and have an autopilot coupled to that GPS, any recommendations for autopilot, or any thoughts about my options, and what budget I should expect

Your help is always appreciated. 

(Note: I do alot of IFR flying) 

If you fly a lot of IFR, do yourself a big favor and get a waas unit given you’re going to pay the substantial cost of an install regardless.   Right now everyone is waiting for the Trutrak STC for mooney- the amount of functionality it offers for the cost can’t be beat.  7k all in.  

• Thanks 1

Either install now... Stec30 +/- $20K or wait to see what comes soon such as the Trutrak. You'll also want to upgrade that 430 to WAAS. Then you'll have a really nice IFR platform. 

You'll also have more invested in the airplane, than it will ever be worth... but that means you just have to fly it until you recoup your investment that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Janat83 said:

my friend is selling his GNS430 non-waas and he offered to give it to me at big discount

Make sure the 430 can be upgraded to wass. A friend of mine thought he got a great deal on a non wass 430 and it turned out that SN couldn’t be upgraded.  So the great deal turned out to be way overpriced. If you want GPSS you will need a wass gps. 

The Stec 30 is a great autopilot but not cheap. As others have pointed out within the next year there should be a few more options available.  I would take a look at what’s in the works before dropping 20K. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm excited to add the trutrac to my E this year. Plan to do so if it's certified by May when we have it opened up for its annual. Told my wife it will be easier to make out in the plane if Otto is flying for us. She wasn't amused.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Some GPS boxes are better than others...

when it comes to outputs... the KLN94 runs out of I/O ports before the older monochrome KLN90B does... both are non-WAAS boxes that are great for horizontal navigation...

WAAS will add the vertical component...

Just One point of data...

I was looking to possibly add a GPSS to my panel to go with the existing KLN90B... for that one really long X-country... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have an STEC 20 and a GPSS roll steer module. It’ll work fine with a 430. The 20 is the same as the 30 except no altitude hold. You can make a 20 into a 30 when you have extra money but I had mine installed back in 2009 and haven’t got around to needing altitude hold yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do a lot of IFR then you'll see the advantage to a WAAS 430 and then add a TruTrak A/P (@$7000) when it comes out this year, that's the cheapest way to go for now. If you want ADSB Out look at the Skybeacon as its install can be done by any A&P a lot cheaper than any other way. Around $!800 for the unit itself. Install is running 2 wires and a phone app to set it up. 

The Trutrak won't do ILS's (you'll hand fly those to keep to keep your skills up) but it will do LPV GPS approaches. Best of both worlds. Again, make sure the 430 is WAAS upgradable by serial number.