Impromptu Fly-In 2/10 @ KCGE (Cambridge Maryland)

Marauder

2 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Ditto.  

Darn. 

Yeah, we missed the smell of Jet-A. It actually turned out a lot larger than expected. It was just the 3 of us getting together until I invited Brian who then in turn invited Quakertown, PA. Unfortunately they were packed solid with people and had to put us in a separate room. My wife noted the serving sizes were a bit smaller than our last meal here. The food was great, the service was slow. I asked if they took reservations and they said they didn't. Too bad. Could be a nice location with a larger group.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, orionflt said:

Ummm @Marauder please look at the header along with the date and time of the posting....

:P 

And your point is? Posted on Saturday, edit on Sunday at 12:38 AM to include the airport location. Edited a little later to show 5 were coming (Jack, Chris, Marauder, Marauder's wife and Don). Later Dan added he was coming. No Brian! Just the entire Quakertown PA population! :lol:

We will plan a better location next time. Wasn't expecting 14 people when I said "a few of us will be heading..." Good thing more didn't show up. We would have starved to death for real.

More my daughter, when he was at UKT she was his copilot for a lot of dog missions. when she heard he was going to be there she went from debating on going if her boyfriend could go to I'm going! lol. Jack is like her granddad. 3 of the group that came with didn't know Jack, but heard we were flying out and didn't want to be left behind. didn't do them much good, they were flying a 172. LOL

if you look at my facebook you can see a video my daughter took of Bob and Bob in the twin catching up to me and forming up for a few minutes. the 172 was 1/2 behind :D 

I was staying ahead of the twin Comanche but not by much. I did pass our buddy in the Piper Cherokee 140 on the way back. Poor guy, I think everyone passed him on the way down and back. And to add a really big insult, Dan in his Bravo on his way down left 20 minutes after he did and still landed before him.

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I was staying ahead of the twin Comanche but not by much. I did pass our buddy in the Piper Cherokee 140 on the way back. Poor guy, I think everyone passed him on the way down and back. And to add a really big insult, Dan in his Bravo on his way down left 20 minutes after he did and still landed before him.

he never caught me until we were about 25 miles from UKT. I had between 150 and 160 kt ground speed. my max was 169 average 141. not bad for a 180 hp C with 3 people on board.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, orionflt said:

he never caught me until we were about 25 miles from UKT. I had between 150 and 160 kt ground speed. my max was 169 average 141. not bad for a 180 hp C with 3 people on board.

I was watching you on TIS-B. You were cooking. Chris in his J was down at 3000' and he was showing high 150s and I was at 5500' and doing around 165 ground speed. I think you might have a little more tailwind than me since you were flying a tad bit more easterly.

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

I was watching you on TIS-B. You were cooking. Chris in his J was down at 3000' and he was showing high 150s and I was at 5500' and doing around 165 ground speed. I think you might have a little more tailwind than me since you were flying a tad bit more easterly.

that was also 24 squared, I am always impressed with how fast the Mooney's are. I'm still trying to squeak a few more kts out of her.

I have raced 201er's J on a poker run, while it is faster then mine by a few knots, I out climb him.  that gave me the advantage of getting to altitude faster and transitioning to cruise, on a 50 mile leg he couldn't close the gap. 

Jeez I didn’t know your guys were on the race circuit, I was trying to fly as slow as I could do to all the traffic , I just hate running over people it so stressful, plus 18 GPH for a hamburger run is nuts, I still was burning 13.5 GPH I’m jealous.

4 minutes ago, Danb said:

Jeez I didn’t know your guys were on the race circuit, I was trying to fly as slow as I could do to all the traffic , I just hate running over people it so stressful, plus 18 GPH for a hamburger run is nuts, I still was burning 13.5 GPH I’m jealous.

true, I was flying a little faster (@24 squared) then normal and burning almost 10 GPH, normally for that flight I would be down at 8.5 GPH but I wanted to get back quickly so I could do an oil change. :)