M20C panel upgrade?

Well there are a few of us, who could be lifetime members...

Warning: Marauder is an enabler. Conversations with him result in panel envy and can wreck your bank account and marriage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

The guys here on MS explained to my that down the road, like you said the installation cost is about the same, BUT the resale value of the GTN or IFD will be leap years more than an old 430/530. That was my breaking point before throwing the towel in and getting the GTN and L3 Lynx. The 430/530 are what? Like 20 years old? I was still a teenager then.

Fast forward 5 or even 10 years and the GNS 430/530 will be the new GNC 155/300XL series of budget radios and the GTN and IFD will be still be prime.

Very true.

Perhaps a recovering panel addict section can be created.
It's going to take some time to get back into the CB club after that spending escapade... and now an Aspen.

We need a “Dave Ramsey” inspired avionics money management section for MS’rs that scrape by and return tin cans for deposits to get cash for radios and fuel. I hope no one is maxing out their credit cards to buy this stuff.

1 minute ago, tigers2007 said:

We need a “Dave Ramsey” inspired avionics money management section for MS’rs that scrape by and return tin cans for deposits to get cash for radios and fuel. I hope no one is maxing out their credit cards to buy this stuff. 

I would love to hear an Airplane owner call into the Dave Ramsey show to ask about financing panel upgrades.:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, wings_level said:

I am thinking the 750 because whether it’s a 430, 530, 650, or 750, the labor cost would probably be about the same.  The cost difference would mainly be in the unit.  If your a gonna spend the same in labor, might as well get the big one.  

I would recommend the 650 interfaced with an aera660.  Put the aera660 in vertical format next to dual G5’s all flush.   It is da bomb.  

If you have complete electrical failure, all of your flight instruments and navigation stays on with independent batteries.  The aera660 will also give you synthetic vision if interfaces with gdl39 3D or gtx345.   It’s nice having an interfaced touch screen moving map with weather right there next to your pfd.

You will save a lot of money and be bueno. 

As marauder said, if you have data in front of you, then the gps box is mainly for data entry.  

Edited by Browncbr1

2 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

I would recommend the 650 interfaced with an aera660.  Put the aera660 in vertical format next to dual G5’s all flush.   It is da bomb.  

If you have complete electrical failure, all of your flight instruments and navigation stays on with independent batteries.  The aera660 will also give you synthetic vision if interfaces with gdl39 3D or gtx345.   It’s nice having an interfaced touch screen moving map with weather right there next to your pfd.

You will save a lot of money and be bueno. 

As marauder said, if you have data in front of you, then the gps box is mainly for data entry.  

I agree that is something to look in to.  But hey Browncbr1, you’re not too far from me.  Do you by chance know any good avionics shop around East Tennessee?  I have been talking with one near Nashville.  Thought I may get a couple more on board.

2 minutes ago, wings_level said:

I agree that is something to look in to.  But hey Browncbr1, you’re not too far from me.  Do you by chance know any good avionics shop around East Tennessee?  I have been talking with one near Nashville.  Thought I may get a couple more on board.

I would refer you to David gardener at Rendrag aviation based just south of ATL.  Very well worth the flight down there.   Quality work, on time, at the most competitive out the door price was my experience.  He’s a good person and runs a clean operation. 

Just now, Browncbr1 said:

I would refer you to David gardener at Rendrag aviation based just south of ATL.  Very well worth the flight down there.   Quality work, on time, at the most competitive out the door price was my experience.  He’s a good person and runs a clean operation. 

Perfect.  Much appreciated.

1 hour ago, wings_level said:

Does anyone out there have a C model with a 750 in it?  I would like to see what the panel looks like with that huge screen and how much room is left in the center stack.

Check with Bob...See if he will share a pic?   :)

He has...

• an M20E (short body, same panel)
  • GTN
  • JPI

The short body Mooney makes a great and capable retirement plane.

The challenge with large screens... space is limited.... so adding a JPI for primary, frees up a lot of space.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wings_level said:

So I really like the panel.  Now if you look at mine, its like three sections (left, right and middle).  My left panel protrudes out.  Where yours looks like one continuous panel from left to right.   

Yeah, when I redid my panel 6 years ago the avionics shop modernized it. It is flat, in one plane though is is in 2 pieces to get it in and out. They had to modify the panel supports somewhat.

100_2707.JPG

2012-10-29_14-34-02_502.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:44 PM, Browncbr1 said:

Anyone know of any other avionics shops out there that are highly recommended within reasonable distance to East Tennessee?  I'd like to get 3 or 4 quotes before making the call.

After doing this once myself before... I wouldn't decide based on quotes.

I'd get in the plane and go visit some shops. They're always on the airport. So fly in, visit their shop, talk to the owner, show him your plane and talk about what you want to do.

You're looking for a shop that agrees with your vision, is confident they can deliver, and has evidence of projects done. You're "pre-buying" the shop. I would also ask questions about installing used equipment sourced online. I would ask about scheduling and time lines, while being agreeable and realistic. Finally, I would talk price.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

After doing this once myself before... I wouldn't decide based on quotes.

I'd get in the plane and go visit some shops. They're always on the airport. So fly in, visit their shop, talk to the owner, show him your plane and talk about what you want to do.

You're looking for a shop that agrees with your vision, is confident they can deliver, and has evidence of projects done. You're "pre-buying" the shop. I would also ask questions about installing used equipment sourced online. I would ask about scheduling and time lines, while being agreeable and realistic. Finally, I would talk price.

Absolutely agree with this approach.  I just need to find a few reputable shops and then start making phone calls to set up visits.  

• Like 1

I've just recommissioned my E with its GX60.  It's funny, it's the first plane I ever flew with a GPS and that little postage stamp screen told me so much more than I ever knew.  Adding a palm VII with cheap bastards black and white radar in cockpit was amazing.  Adding the 396 on the yoke was unbelievable.  Century 2000, etc.  I'll probably do the last GX 60 update end of 2020 before the data gets shut off and stretch it out until late 2021 by verifying with charts/plates.

Since I'll be stuck with ADS-B soon, I'm wondering if I really need to go hog wild.  In that snug little cabin with everything so close to your face, what about a L3 below a 440 in the stack, 2 screens telling you so much, and leave the rest of the legacy stuff intact, strikefinder, etc.  then replace AI/HSI on failure with an Aspen or G3.   Add an IPad Mini on the yoke and geez, how much does one need?  How big do the screens need to be when all the info is so close to the pilot's face in a Mooney?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 65eTurbo said:
I've just recommissioned my E with its GX60.  It's funny, it's the first plane I ever flew with a GPS and that little postage stamp screen told me so much more than I ever knew.  Adding a palm VII with cheap bastards black and white radar in cockpit was amazing.  Adding the 396 on the yoke was unbelievable.  Century 2000, etc.  I'll probably do the last GX 60 update end of 2020 before the data gets shut off and stretch it out until late 2021 by verifying with charts/plates.
Since I'll be stuck with ADS-B soon, I'm wondering if I really need to go hog wild.  In that snug little cabin with everything so close to your face, what about a L3 below a 440 in the stack, 2 screens telling you so much, and leave the rest of the legacy stuff intact, strikefinder, etc.  then replace AI/HSI on failure with an Aspen or G3.   Add an IPad Mini on the yoke and geez, how much does one need?  How big do the screens need to be when all the info is so close to the pilot's face in a Mooney?

I love my 440 / L3 in the stack. So glad I did the edm900 where it is too. Not sure a whole lot more extravagance than a setup like this can be justified in a short body. Talk with Josh and achievement aviation, Lakefield airport in st Mary's Ohio if you want to go the aspen / avidyne route. Killer pricing and great work. It would be worth the trip. 142cb4e123760730ed62f2cdf4829b1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by NJMac
  • Like 6