In Need of a Prop Governor

alextstone

I had a prop overspeed condition last week that was difficult to manage.  My mechanic removed the governor and sent it off for inspection and possible overhaul.  I just learned that the casing is condemned so no overhaul for this part.  Does anyone know of a shop that might keep one on hand already built up?  

We just went through a governor replacement and dealt with TrueSpeed Aero Governor: https://truespeed-aero-governors-inc.business.site/

We sent in an old Edo-Aire (Garwin) governor.  They said they could repair it, but that the cost was about the same as purchasing an overhauled McCauley governor outright.  I felt like they were a good shop to deal with and treated us fairly.  I got the contact info from LASAR, apparently they use TrueSpeed for their governor work.  TrueSpeed does seem to have some units on the shelf, so maybe they can help you.

The prop governor is the least of your problems at the moment.

2575 rpm + 10% = 2833 rpm. If it exceeded that rpm for more than 3 seconds the engine needs to be torn down.

I can't imagine anyone having the reflexes to respond within 3 seconds as you are trying to figure out what is going on. This is not an event to overlook, since crankshafts in Lycoming 540's have snapped in half. A thorough teradown and inspection (magnaflux) needs to be done if it meets the criteria. Jewell Engines up in Kennett MO might be a place to call - they are easy to talk to on the phone and do honest work at a fair price.

It almost makes you wish you had "forgot" to put the gear down when you landed . . lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

2575 rpm + 10% = 2833 rpm. If it hit that rpm for more than 3 seconds the engine needs to be torn down. I can't imagine anyone having the reflexes to respond within 3 seconds as you are trying to figure out what is going on. This is not an event to overlook, since crankshafts in Lycoming 540's have snapped in half. A thorough teradown and inspection (magnaflux) needs to be done if it meets the criteria. Jewell Engines up in Kennett MO might be a place to call - they are easy to talk to on the phone and do honest work at a fair price.

I dealt with an overspeed on one aircraft, the pilot pulled it back immediately but the engine monitor recorded the whole incident as taking 10 seconds from initial overspeed to recovery with a max speed of 3510 for most of the 10 seconds. 

when they got on the ground the prop was checked and found to be loose, the overspeed stretched the prop bolts snapping 2 of them. the crank, and cam were condemned when the engine was torn down and the prop manufacturer told us not to bother sending in the propeller, it exceeded the max limit and was now wall art.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orionflt said:

when you say off the scale, what does your tach top out at?

and I just looked , no PCU5000 STC for the Mooneys above a G model

I should clarify...by "off scale" I meant above 2575...I did not take note of exactly how far above unfortunately though. I should have been more clear in my description.  I read the SB...ominous stuff.  I will think about what to do next and I will call Jewell also.  Thanks for all of the good advice.  

29 minutes ago, alextstone said:

I should clarify...by "off scale" I meant above 2575...I did not take note of exactly how far above unfortunately though. I should have been more clear in my description.  I read the SB...ominous stuff.  I will think about what to do next and I will call Jewell also.  Thanks for all of the good advice.  

Do you have information you can download from an engine monitor?