Replacement Door Seal

Marauder

On 1/2/2020 at 3:26 AM, JimB said:

Does anyone know the difference between these 2 seals? The one has a self-adhesive and costs about $80. The other is about $130. Is it just the FAA-PMA approval for the one PN? 

https://www.aircraftdoorseals.com/door-seal-entry-door-mooney-m20-series-ads-m1201/

https://www.aircraftdoorseals.com/door-seal-front-entry-fuselage-mount-self-adhesive-ads-500-1001/

On 1/2/2020 at 4:13 AM, RLCarter said:

Can't speak for the one that mounts to the door like the original, but the one the goes on the fuselage is a piece of crap, it seals good but gets torn up no matter how carefull you are getting in and out 

After messing around with some of the generic stuff you can from Home Depot or a Marine place I bought the one you listed that goes on the door like the original. Contrary to instructions I did not take the time to get all of the old adhesive off. I did make sure that there were no chunks of adhesive or flaky old stuff. If I am remembering right I used Acetone to clean the surface it was going on. I used the 3M adhesive to attach it, worked around the door a section at a time and used some small wood working clamps to hold it in place. That was a couple years ago and it is still in good shape and seals well. I periodically put some silicone on it to keep it from getting all dried out.

This is the adhesive I used.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/superweatherstripadh.php?clickkey=76346

@Skates97 the FAA/PMAed seal I used seals really well now that the upper latch is adjusted properly. The seal has an adhesive backing and sticks really well, my reference as being crap is due to how easily it is damaged by people getting in/out, regardless of how many times you tell them to be carefull  ......if memory serves, it was several hours to clean the old glue from the door...... 

2 hours ago, Skates97 said:

After messing around with some of the generic stuff you can from Home Depot or a Marine place I bought the one you listed that goes on the door like the original. Contrary to instructions I did not take the time to get all of the old adhesive off. I did make sure that there were no chunks of adhesive or flaky old stuff. If I am remembering right I used Acetone to clean the surface it was going on. I used the 3M adhesive to attach it, worked around the door a section at a time and used some small wood working clamps to hold it in place. That was a couple years ago and it is still in good shape and seals well. I periodically put some silicone on it to keep it from getting all dried out.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/superweatherstripadh.php?clickkey=76346

Skates, how does it go over the door slide attachment on the bottom of the door?  Does it get torn up there and where the slide compresses into it?

thanks!

1 hour ago, RLCarter said:

@Skates97 the FAA/PMAed seal I used seals really well now that the upper latch is adjusted properly. The seal has an adhesive backing and sticks really well, my reference as being crap is due to how easily it is damaged by people getting in/out, regardless of how many times you tell them to be carefull  ......if memory serves, it was several hours to clean the old glue from the door...... 

I figured that was what you were talking about. I went with the one on the door because I had read reviews about the one on the plane getting torn up by people getting in and out. I know who flies with me, and couldn't count on them not tearing it up...:ph34r:

32 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Skates, how does it go over the door slide attachment on the bottom of the door?  Does it get torn up there and where the slide compresses into it?

thanks!

It's behind it and not affected by it. I can take some pictures Saturday when I'm at the hangar.

I bought the Aircraft Door Seal/Knots 2U cabin door seal that glues to the door but I never installed it. It's probably fine, but it just didn't look right to me. It's an 'L' cross section rather than a 'D' or 'O'. If someone wants it, I'll sell it for $60 (I paid $129.95).

I bought the stuff Mooney lists in the M20J IPC and I'm going to use that instead. http://www.brownaircraft.com/product-p/t-9088.htm

Skip

20 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I figured that was what you were talking about. I went with the one on the door because I had read reviews about the one on the plane getting torn up by people getting in and out. I know who flies with me, and couldn't count on them not tearing it up...:ph34r:

It's behind it and not affected by it. I can take some pictures Saturday when I'm at the hangar.

Thanks that would be helpful.  I currently have what looks like Home Depot weather strip on the airplane side.  It’s actually not bad except it really gets torn up by the door support along the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 12:35 PM, Ragsf15e said:

Thanks that would be helpful.  I currently have what looks like Home Depot weather strip on the airplane side.  It’s actually not bad except it really gets torn up by the door support along the bottom.

Better late than never. Here are a few pics. I had to trim around the two latches. The slide/arm on the bottom fits right in the space between the seal and the edge of the door when closed, it hasn't damaged the seal at all.

20200201_165709.thumb.jpg.893c703b1cee6af0b0e702866921ed88.jpg20200201_165716.thumb.jpg.f013070e984c7b24a54e7fef7d21637e.jpg20200201_101501.thumb.jpg.64acbc4535bebf8fc6c040bdcd0a7edb.jpg

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Better late than never. Here are a few pics. I had to trim around the two latches. The slide/arm on the bottom fits right in the space between the seal and the edge of the door when closed, it hasn't damaged the seal at all.

20200201_165709.thumb.jpg.893c703b1cee6af0b0e702866921ed88.jpg20200201_165716.thumb.jpg.f013070e984c7b24a54e7fef7d21637e.jpg20200201_101501.thumb.jpg.64acbc4535bebf8fc6c040bdcd0a7edb.jpg

Oh that’s awesome, thanks.  I’m definitely going that route when the current “weather strip” solution is destroyed.  By being on the airplane side, it gets pulled apart by the slide on the bottom of the door each time you close it.

So trimming around the latches didn’t cause the seal to come apart there I guess?

I just used this on the cabin and baggage and has worked very well for the last 7 years.
Self adhesive no need for glue.

Be careful, I had weather stripping that was too thick and it results in the door not being flush, 3/8 could be too thick depending on how squishy it is. I had this problem when I bought the plane, I think 1/4 might work better.

12 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Oh that’s awesome, thanks.  I’m definitely going that route when the current “weather strip” solution is destroyed.  By being on the airplane side, it gets pulled apart by the slide on the bottom of the door each time you close it.

So trimming around the latches didn’t cause the seal to come apart there I guess?

No, trimming it didn't have any affect on it. I did have the other stuff that you can get at home depot on it but it did not seal as well for the door. For the baggage door the other will work well but for the cabin I think this is better as it seals in an "L" shape around the opening instead of just flat against one side. 

On 1/30/2020 at 6:28 PM, PT20J said:

I bought the Aircraft Door Seal/Knots 2U cabin door seal that glues to the door but I never installed it. It's probably fine, but it just didn't look right to me. It's an 'L' cross section rather than a 'D' or 'O'. If someone wants it, I'll sell it for $60 (I paid $129.95).

I bought the stuff Mooney lists in the M20J IPC and I'm going to use that instead. http://www.brownaircraft.com/product-p/t-9088.htm

Skip

We installed it.  Worked fine on our '67 C, except for a bit of a gap along the aft-bottom portion of the door.   We shimmed up the thin aluminum angle along the bottom of the door with a piece of gasket material to close that gap, and now that seal works great.  A previous owner had installed a HD special.   My co-pilot's shirtwaist kept getting sucked out under the door!   The new seal and shim stopped that from happening.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m at a spot where I need to replace my door seal. My wife is willing to deal with the cold air with a blanket, but she draws the line at dealing with water when flying through rain.

I’ve talked to a couple MSC guys who do not recommend the inflatable type seals. One of the guys said that he likes them, but about 20% of the time the door won’t close after they’re installed, and you don’t know that until after they’re installed. He recommended Aircraft Door Seals. Door Seal, Entry Door. Mooney M20 Series. ADS-M1201 - Aircraft Door Seals

Has anyone had a problem closing the door after the (deflated) Bob Fields inflatable seals are installed? Mooney M20A thru M20K Inflatable Door Seals – Bob Fields Aerocessories

Thanks

17 hours ago, John Mininger said:

I’m at a spot where I need to replace my door seal. My wife is willing to deal with the cold air with a blanket, but she draws the line at dealing with water when flying through rain.

I’ve talked to a couple MSC guys who do not recommend the inflatable type seals. One of the guys said that he likes them, but about 20% of the time the door won’t close after they’re installed, and you don’t know that until after they’re installed. He recommended Aircraft Door Seals. Door Seal, Entry Door. Mooney M20 Series. ADS-M1201 - Aircraft Door Seals

Has anyone had a problem closing the door after the (deflated) Bob Fields inflatable seals are installed? Mooney M20A thru M20K Inflatable Door Seals – Bob Fields Aerocessories

Thanks

I just did one last year on a Bravo I used to own. The eventual finished result was very satisfactory, but I am glad that it was me doing the work under supervision and that I wasn't paying someone $100 an hour. I don't even want to guess how many hours I had into it. Also I am really glad that I live an hour away from the owner of the STC and he offered to come over and help. The product is excellent but the instructions are cryptic at best. It requires a lot of adjustment with silicone shim material, which I had no clue about.

If any two Mooney doors and openings came out of Kerrville exactly alike it was purely coincidence. But going through this process taught me the reasons why it is so often that you have cabin door leaks on a Mooney. If you just glue a seal on there without "test fly, inflate, note leak areas, adjust and repeat", you will trade one leaky door seal for another. On my Acclaim if I have to replace the factory seal I will still do the Bob Fields, but I won't necessarily look forward to it. Although the next time I will know what to expect and the lessons learned will be helpful. But that being said I think to do a good door seal job with any of seals out there it's going to take some adjustment to get it right.

• 1 month later...

Before the next poor guy purchases the knots2u stuff, it does not fit on the M20E it's sticks out on the edges and door will not shut. It's long on top and by the hinges. Test fit it if you decide to go that route. 

Extremely upset since I spend 2 days cleaning up the old glue. 

Also as I took it off a few minutes later it disintegrated. The old probably 20 year old seal came off in 1 piece. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2020 at 2:58 PM, Skates97 said:

I'm gonna try this seal.  The weatherstripping solution reduced airflow, but not noise.  A ride in the other M20C on my field showed me how loud the wind noise is around my door.  Hoping that the aircraftdoorseals.com seal works to stop both.

I installed the inflatable door seal this February and have been very happy with it. It’s kind of a pain to get it into place but clothes pins around the door worked. As far as cleaning the old glue the A&P that was overseeing the install suggested using a brass brush like what is used to clean the aluminum before welding. The brush worked very well just don’t get really aggressive with it. I finished the cleanup with MEK being very careful to not get it anywhere else. The seal is spendy but I have been very happy with the result. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2022 at 2:06 PM, GEE-BEE AEROPRODUCTS said:

When you have to rebuild your door hinges, you will then understand the stress a inflatable door seal on a door and frame not designed for it will do , Jim Klug at DBM rebuilds cabin door from these non tso install 

There is a channel in the door for all inflatable door seals that are Tso.

I would never mfg as I don’t want the product liability.

BE8B611D-651C-431E-8A07-361AEFA927D9.jpeg

A4F74137-2CB6-46D5-A72D-4129759C3CFE.png

679774C6-1497-40D0-B6D2-5F940252A7CA.png

Well I guess I hope it doesn’t wreck my hinges. I bought the plane in 2017 and it had an inflatable seal in it installed in 1986. I don’t know what seal it was, it didn't look the same as the Bob Fields.  The door still fits well and the hinges do not look distorted.  I put 4 pumps of air in the seal and it sure is quite, the bulb does not get stiff maybe if you really pump it up I could see over time it would be hard on the door.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dialed In said:

Well I guess I hope it doesn’t wreck my hinges. I bought the plane in 2017 and it had an inflatable seal in it installed in 1986. I don’t know what seal it was, it didn't look the same as the Bob Fields.  The door still fits well and the hinges do not look distorted.  I put 4 pumps of air in the seal and it sure is quite, the bulb does not get stiff maybe if you really pump it up I could see over time it would be hard on the door.  

I've never seen any problem with Mooney door hinges with the Bob Fields inflatable seal. It would be difficult with the manual bulb to do any harm.

• Like 1