Replacement Door Seal

Marauder

4 hours ago, slowflyin said:

Beware- I was a Bob Fields customer.  Love their seals!   Paid for my last one last year but never received the product.  Call after call after call...…..Sad to see a son do this to his fathers legacy.

I don’t doubt it.  He called me two weeks ago after I left a couple messages.  He hard sold me and told me he needed to buy some valve stems and complained that he needed money to buy stems and someone else didn’t pay him.  He asked me to pay him and he will order stems and make one and ship to me...   I said, sorry, I don’t finance other people’s business and to call me when he has something to sell.  Never heard back from him after he promised he would get some new stems the following day.  Your comment totally rings true to my intuition when speaking to the guy.  

• Like 3

I was thinking about smearing some silicone on my existing door seal, then smearing a thin film of vasoline on the cabin side, then closing for a day, then wipe off vasoline.   

Has anyone tried this?

i was also toying with the idea that I could get a plastic paint scraper and cut little grooves in the edge...   then use it to cleanly smear 4 small sharp beads of silicone to my existing seal and let dry with door open.  

Edited by Browncbr1

Vaseline has the tendency to be adsorbed into some rubber materials... causing it to swell and misbehave....

Silicone grease should work....  

not sure what the benefit of using two different greases would be?

Car guys May have a similar solution for similar products.... I found this through a web search... see if it is the same idea you are considering...?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08946-Clear-Silicone-Paste/dp/B005RNEH5O?ref_=Oct_BSellerC_256251011_0&pf_rd_p=6bda18db-2d71-5ad7-b4ea-539c57373aab&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=256251011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=68R0VQYG4MR3S184B7R1&pf_rd_r=68R0VQYG4MR3S184B7R1&pf_rd_p=6bda18db-2d71-5ad7-b4ea-539c57373aab

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

I was thinking about smearing some silicone on my existing door seal, then smearing a thin film of vasoline on the cabin side, then closing for a day, then wipe off vasoline.   

Has anyone tried this?

Along the same lines as Anthony's comment above about Vaseline- I'd just use cellophane wrap on the cabin door frame.  It's incredibly thin, won't affect the silicone, and should peel right off the silicone after it sets.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GEE-BEE said:

You want dc-4 silicone for door seals that are tight

The oem door seal has a foam that is extruded during production to keep the bulb open

The silicone foam has to high of duro for this application, a solid bulb wont work either even with a hollow center .

I'am molding a new spec in two new seals with a hollow center.

i WILL NOT RELEASE A ITEM,UNLESS IT WORKS

silicone large baggage.jpg

Do you have plans to fabricate inflatable doors seals for Mooneys ?

17 hours ago, GEE-BEE said:

You want dc-4 silicone for door seals that are tight

The oem door seal has a foam that is extruded during production to keep the bulb open

The silicone foam has to high of duro for this application, a solid bulb wont work either even with a hollow center .

I'am molding a new spec in two new seals with a hollow center.

i WILL NOT RELEASE A ITEM,UNLESS IT WORKS

silicone large baggage.jpg

Did you resolve your unapproved parts issues with the FAA?

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/programs/sups/upn/media/2017/2017_98_071R.pdf

How costly is the approval process? Is the workaround to put the classic disclaimer “For experimental use only” or “unapproved” on the items? I can’t speak for the other times on that FAA notice but I can’t ever see how a rubber door seal will bring down a non-pressurized GA aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

How costly is the approval process? Is the workaround to put the classic disclaimer “For experimental use only” or “unapproved” on the items? I can’t speak for the other times on that FAA notice but I can’t ever see how a rubber door seal will bring down a non-pressurized GA aircraft.

This FAA notice is an update of one initially published in 2000. I've been hearing that he's close to PMA approval for as long as I've been on MooneySpace. I don't know what the issue is but there seems to be a shortage of following through on the door seal claims as well as the PMA claims.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

Fire for one. I am sure there are a number of requirements that need to be met in order to be considered an authorized parts provider. Some of it may be just documentation of conformity but others may be testing that needs to be done and documented.

• 9 months later...

FYI - TALCO Aviation acquired Bob Fields Aerocessories. They make the inflatable door seal. The website has been updated and shows they are in process of relocating the business and re-establishing PMA. TALCO acquired RAJAY Turbo Products last year.

Their new web address is aerocessories.aero and all parts/kits will be FAA PMA'd.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tomgo2 said:

FYI - TALCO Aviation acquired Bob Fields Aerocessories. They make the inflatable door seal. The website has been updated and shows they are in process of relocating the business and re-establishing PMA. TALCO acquired RAJAY Turbo Products last year.

Their new web address is aerocessories.aero and all parts/kits will be FAA PMA'd.

I was literally just searching for information on this when I found this post.  Hopefully TALCO will get them back on track.  I have been considering adding the inflatable seal to my rear door to match the front on my Seneca.  I love the one on the front...no idea why last owner didn't just do both!

EDIT: I received a response from TALCO within 10 minutes of emailing them.  They are hoping to have product by February 2020 and are working through the process of having the STCs transferred over at the moment.

Edited by BGF_Yankee

Hey! That’s interesting mooney news...

Mooniacs loved their inflatable door seal...

Mostly the mechanical one...

The electric one had some challenges...

Then again... Manual Mooneys... are perfect...

• Manual gear...
  • hydraulic flaps...
  • manual step...
  • manual speed brakes...
  • manual door seal... perfect!

Best regards,

-a-

The Bob Fields Aerocessories manual inflatable door seal is $630.00. This includes the parts and STC authorization.  The inflatable door seal makes a huge difference in the noise level and air drafts. Since the acquisition of the company, it won't be until late January before orders can be taken and delivered.

My inflatable door seal was installed in November 1987 and still working great!

I did a video comparing inflated and deflated: 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know the difference between these 2 seals? The one has a self-adhesive and costs about $80. The other is about $130. Is it just the FAA-PMA approval for the one PN? 

https://www.aircraftdoorseals.com/door-seal-entry-door-mooney-m20-series-ads-m1201/

https://www.aircraftdoorseals.com/door-seal-front-entry-fuselage-mount-self-adhesive-ads-500-1001/

42 minutes ago, JimB said:

Does anyone know the difference between these 2 seals? The one has a self-adhesive and costs about $80. The other is about $130. Is it just the FAA-PMA approval for the one PN? 

https://www.aircraftdoorseals.com/door-seal-entry-door-mooney-m20-series-ads-m1201/

https://www.aircraftdoorseals.com/door-seal-front-entry-fuselage-mount-self-adhesive-ads-500-1001/

Can't speak for the one that mounts to the door like the original, but the one the goes on the fuselage is a piece of crap, it seals good but gets torn up no matter how carefull you are getting in and out 

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, tomgo2 said:

Inflatable Door Seals are now available and PMA'd again.  Check out the website at www.aerocessories.aero. PMA'd for M20A through M20K for now.  Looking to add the other models later this year.

Wowza, $1,850?!  That’s gotta be a super awesome, self installing door seal!

Might want to update the Mooney section to say $695-$1850.  Right now it looks like the only one is $1850 until you get into selecting the options.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Wowza, $1,850?!  That’s gotta be a super awesome, self installing door seal!

Might want to update the Mooney section to say $695-$1850.  Right now it looks like the only one is $1850 until you get into selecting the options.

Thanks! It's been corrected.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

https://aerocessories.aero/collections/mooney-collection

Got any pics of what is included, or any that are installed?

Best regards,

-a-

Great question and thank you for asking.  The manual door seal option which is most popular is a pressure bulb attached to the door panel.  We are asking a couple of customers to provide installation photos as they are completed.  Below is a photo I found off the internet.  Is is a hollow silicone seal that is attached to the door frame with a specific RTV sealant.  The only thing missing from the image here is the blood pressure bulb.

th?id=OIP.SuiZ-rd31C6MvkckepE2AwHaJ4&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

• Like 1