need advice on where to put engine monitor.

Candy man

Well, the obvious solution is just to replace your DG with a G5 HSI and remove the top CDI and put the JPI there... Or really check and see if it fits above the audio panel once you remove the cluster gauge, I can't tell just by looking. (Personally, I'm leaving my tach and MP gauge, but pulled the cluster) I wouldn't want the 900 any farther right than where your tach is now.

• Like 2

If it were me, get an HSI, remove the top CDI, and put the 900 upright where the top CDI used to be. You have a 480, which is compatible with the G5 HSI. You can put it on the right side of the panel and keep the current setup you have, but after flying with a JPI 700 on the right side of the panel, I'd much rather prefer the JPI right in front of me, which is why when my 900 gets installed in about 1 and a half weeks, it's going to be right in front of me. Annoyingly, if you install a G5 HSI, might as well install the G5 AI, and cut a new panel, and get rid of the vacuum system. as you can see, this is a very slippery slope. tread lightly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steve W said:

Well, the obvious solution is just to replace your DG with a G5 HSI and remove the top CDI and put the JPI there... Or really check and see if it fits above the audio panel once you remove the cluster gauge, I can't tell just by looking. (Personally, I'm leaving my tach and MP gauge, but pulled the cluster) I wouldn't want the 900 any farther right than where your tach is now.

Quite odd how I posted the identical thing you said at the same time. Great minds think alike.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Candy man said:

We are getting ready to pull the engine for an overhaul and want to add a jpi 900. Without redoing too much where should we put it? 

Can you remove the engine strip gauges and mount the 900 there in landscape mode?  Not sure by looking if that space will support a 900.

Steve

So, I gave these guys 2 hours to mess with your mind... :rolleyes:

You're going to lose the FP/MP and Tach gauges (as well as the strip gauges across the top). The proper place for that same info is right there above the right yoke.

But you might consider that the installation money you save by not messing with the left panel would probably allow you to upgrade to the 930! I think you will be glad you did.

IMG_20190129_142608151.jpg

I'm in the camp of having it on the pilot side...you'll look at it more than any other instrument so it deserves to be close. Going to a G5 HSI and selling a CDI is a great plan if your budget supports it. Or going whole-hog for dual G5 and a new panel, vacuum-delete, etc is even better since we're spending your money

I'm still figuring out what HSI/PFD solution will be right for me, but 3 years ago I put my 900 in where my 700 used to live. It's great, but I prefer a landscape orientation. To do what I did required deleting my throttle quadrant and installing later model linear engine controls, which was a tremendous PITA and way worse than adding an HSI would be to your panel...37d048e475941e5e8a7126a31bfdf80d.jpg

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

I'm in the camp of having it on the pilot side...you'll look at it more than any other instrument so it deserves to be close. Going to a G5 HSI and selling a CDI is a great plan if your budget supports it. Or going whole-hog for dual G5 and a new panel, vacuum-delete, etc is even better since we're spending your money

I'm still figuring out what HSI/PFD solution will be right for me, but 3 years ago I put my 900 in where my 700 used to live. It's great, but I prefer a landscape orientation. To do what I did required deleting my throttle quadrant and installing later model linear engine controls, which was a tremendous PITA and way worse than adding an HSI would be to your panel...37d048e475941e5e8a7126a31bfdf80d.jpg

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

And I am the peacemaker and believe it should be in the middle.:lol:

IMG_0809.thumb.JPG.34d61ecfe0819d7cc0e41de6c97a1456.JPG

• Like 1

I have the JPI 900 in my C. You will be so happy if you put it in front of your face.  It needs to go where the top CDI is.  You can mount it vertical.  You will be grateful

Get the dual G5's and get rid of the vacuum system.  

Also do not forget to flush.

4 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

I have the JPI 900 in my C. You will be so happy if you put it in front of your face.  It needs to go where the top CDI is.  You can mount it vertical.  You will be grateful

Get the dual G5's and get rid of the vacuum system.  

Also do not forget to flush.

Flush mount g5s and 900.

I’d like it on the pilot side or no farther than the middle like Chris depicted, not sure how old or how great you’re close vision is, I have a G1000 with the engine stuff on the right obviously the largest monitor in our Mooneys when my eyes are tired it’s still difficult to see everything. Luckily if an alert pops up it is seen all over the place therefore try to get it as close as possible to your best vision field.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Danb said:

I’d like it on the pilot side or no farther than the middle like Chris depicted, not sure how old or how great you’re close vision is, I have a G1000 with the engine stuff on the right obviously the largest monitor in our Mooneys when my eyes are tired it’s still difficult to see everything. Luckily if an alert pops up it is seen all over the place therefore try to get it as close as possible to your best vision field.

Dan, for some of us, post cataract surgery, a little farther away is sometimes better. Bifocals are not a great substitute for young eyes. For me, I can see the right panel better without correction than the left panel though the bifocals which work better at half that distance. Night, forget about it. :(

The 900 is too small for the right panel IMO. The main gauges are easy to read but the small ones, like oil pressure on the right side of the screen, are very hard to easily scan. No alarms on the oil pressure unless it drops off completely.  The 930 is easier for my eyes to read even from across the cockpit. 

I never find my Aspen hard to read during flight unless I’m trying to use it from the copilot seat. It’s worthless from the right seat, again IMO.