Contintental Motors CSB19-01

milotron

A service bulletin that removes the primer solenoid valve for continental TSIO-360 and 550 engines was issued. Effectively replaces it with a hose and a plug.

Any idea what has prompted this? Aside from the solenoid begin crazy expensive, they seemed pretty reliable and effective. And they want us to send this crazy expensive bypass solenoid back to them, while also buying hoses from them. What a deal...

image.png.7c87d9dbf95bcd13068d592055ca2d0b.png

CSB19-01.pdf

Edited by milotron

Failure of the internal “O” ring can cause a fuel leak.  They can be disassembled and the “O” ring replaced. Failure of the “O” ring affects total fuel flow to the engine and power loss.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

I can prime mine just fine by using only the boost pump and full rich/cracked throttle. Just as effective, in fact sometimes it fires a bit better. I did this for awhile as I had a wiring issue causing the primer fuse to blow.

I am assuming that this will make little difference.

I have been told the Mooney hose is $380CDN. There is a cessna 'equal' at 1/3 of that.

I have also been told that I don't HAVE to do this as a non-commercial operator in Canada.

True, for here in the US too. But note this kind of SB from TCM is being submitted to the FAA for AD status.

So we can all wait to see if the FAA agrees to make this an AD, but given the seriousness that TCM is giving this issue and what they say about the consequences in the SB I am really not concerned about the cost as much as I am about safety of flight; even with 15 years on my engine without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a PITA.  I had this exact part fail 2yrs ago and had a hell of a time sourcing the 14v version to the tune of $3200 plus R&R.    We reached out to both Mooney and Continental looking to bypass the diverter and they both said absolutely not, it's part of the TC.  

I'm glad to see this thing go.  I can tell you from experience that the engine would not run without the high-pressure boost pump.  I feel fortunate it failed on the ground!

Edited by M20kflyer99

After buying a zero time rebuild engine from Continental, I flew to Alabama to have Continental diagnose a issue.  Part of the testing included bypassing the diverter valve, but only for a ground runup.  I asked them if I could fly it while bypassed, for a test flight, and they refused to allow me. Now they are insisting that it be removed.  AS USUAL NICE AND CLASSY CONTINENTAL!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm kind of curious how to manage engine starting after this is done.  

For a cold start, no issues.  Just bump the high pressure boost pump instead of the primmer.   What about a hot start? Usually priming is not required to get it to start, but after it starts, a quick shot on the primer keeps it going.   Presumably using the high pressure boost pump could be used the same way?

5 hours ago, chrisk said:

I'm kind of curious how to manage engine starting after this is done.  

For a cold start, no issues.  Just bump the high pressure boost pump instead of the primmer.   What about a hot start? Usually priming is not required to get it to start, but after it starts, a quick shot on the primer keeps it going.   Presumably using the high pressure boost pump could be used the same way?

I can't speak to the bypass operation, but it starts just fine using the boost pump to prime the engine before start instead of the primer. I had a wire chafing issue and the primer fuse kept blowing so I used the boost pump only to prime.

Mine is done. The SB has been complied with. There is absolutely no change to either hot or cold start procedures. I use the primer exclusively and never use either high or low boost pumps for starting.

Cold start takes a few seconds of prime and hot starts take either just a quick shot of prime or nothing at all.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 12:45 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Cold start takes a few seconds of prime and hot starts take either just a quick shot of prime or nothing at all.

Hi Paul,

I think the question is,

Now that the prime is disabled/removed, how are you going about the process for each cold and hot starts?

I am assuming the momentary mode of high boost would closely simulate the prime action but still it moves fuel into a different area than the prime circuit used to.

Ron

Does anyone know the reason for the change in cylinder drains?  I'm finishing up an LB rebuild and I need to buy the different style drains.   $50 each, I'm getting tired of sending Continental my money. :wacko:

Cheers,

Dan