Mooney Caravan XXII Registration Now Open

CCowboy

Registration for this years Mooney Caravan to Oshkosh is now open.  This is the 22nd year of the event.  All the details regarding schedule of events, qualifications, and fees are on the website  www.mooneycaravan.com   

Also on the website are descriptions and dates for our formation training clinics.  Now is the time to register and plan your training clinics.  This event keeps getting better every year.  Come join us arriving at the worlds largest aviation event.  

• Like 4

This will be my fifth time to Oshkosh with the Mooney Caravan. If you've never experienced arriving with the Caravan, I can assure you it's the easiest way to fly to Oshkosh. Skip the FISK and the traffic jam holding over the lake. Rather arrive in a civilized manner with a reserved slot for landing.

It does require attending a clinic this year in preparation to fly formation into Oshkosh. But pretty much any competent Mooney pilot should be able to qualify with some solid effort at one of the clinic's this summer.

If anyone has any questions about joining or qualifying for the Caravan, please send me a PM and I'm happy to talk through it with you.

• Like 2

Well, this will be my 4th Caravan to AirVenture. I've been every year since I turned 72. 

I'd like to plug the Mid Atlantic Group Clinic. @kpaulis our Wing Lead and @Marcopoloand I are hosting at our almost home drome - KHKY - June 13-16. Details and registration form are linked here: www.mooneycaravan.com/training/mid-atlantic

• Like 3

To fly with the Caravan you must attend a Formation Flying Clinic. The Caravan is hosting several clinics around the country this spring. You can find the list here.

http://www.mooneycaravan.com/training

I plan to attend both the Texas Wing clinic in San Marcos and the Flying Monkeys clinic in Newton, KS.

Note: it's also possible to qualify for the Caravan by attending a clinic hosted by one of our sister organizations such as the Bonanza group, B2OSH. Again, message me for details if anyone has any questions about getting qualified or anything else about flying with the Caravan to Oshkosh this year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I plan to attend both the Texas Wing clinic in San Marcos and the Flying Monkeys clinic in Newton, KS.

Paul, you might as well come visit your mother in law(?) and attend the Hickory Clinic... I suspect @kpaulwill be rounding up extra safety pilots... :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

It's actually my Mom and Dad that live there. I really should do that.

Bing!  Bing! Bing!  Correlation established. 

Ute and I were going to stop and see them on our way to Orlando in January, but ended up taking a direct aluminum tube driven by Air Canada because of wx.

Now we will get a chance to meet them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pwnel said:

Registered for Hickory.  

Only thing I'd say - when I look at @gsxrpilot member map there's a big cluster of us from DC to Boston who has to go a long way to NC for our nearest clinic :).  Looking forward though.

Boston?  

Try starting two Mooney hours further north. ;)

• Like 1

Someone in the NE needs to step up and organize a clinic. When we held the very first clinic here in Texas back in 2014, we brought safety pilots and ground school instructors from California. After five years, we've now grown our own crop of safety pilots/instructors. I for one, would be happy to come to NE in the early summer to help with a clinic. 

In fact, Texas was the first "Wing" organized as a unit of the Caravan. Now there are seven separate "Wing's" within the Caravan org. Let's organize an eighth in the NE.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pwnel said:

Registered for Hickory.  

Only thing I'd say - when I look at @gsxrpilot member map there's a big cluster of us from DC to Boston who has to go a long way to NC for our nearest clinic :).  Looking forward though.

Pieter, HKY is fairly central, geographically, since at the moment this is the only clinic east of the Mississippi. We have early registrants from FL, NC, MS, VA, NY, NJ, PA, DE,... none yet from New England but one from MI and another from OT. I suppose only Ned will have a fuel stop.

(This will be my 4th MAG clinic, previous ones were all in VA - Fredericksburg, Lynchburg, & Danville.)

BTW, last weekend Mooneys from at least as far away as NJ flew out to Yuma for the Gunfighter's Clinic, I saw the pics! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bill98 said:

@gsxrpilot explain to me like I am 5 what all I need to do to help folks out and sign up.

Also... would a 182RG (with 300HP) pilot be able to be in the Caravan but hidden away as an ugly duckling? OSH is during my birthday and he and I are wanting to go this year!

1. Sign up for the San Marcos formation clinic. 
  2. Make sure you can attend all three days including Friday.
  3. After the San Marcos clinic, if cleared to fly with the Caravan, then go register for the Caravan. Mooney Caravan Registration

The 182RG pilot would be better off flying with you in your Mooney. But it would be a question to ask Bucko. He would have to attend the San Marcos clinic and qualify with his airplane.

It's common to have Cirrus or even a Cherokee, Archer, Comanche fly with us. But mixing Low and High wing planes might be a bit difficult. We'd have to check with Bucko who is the Flight Ops Boss this year.

Just now, gsxrpilot said:
  1. Sign up for the San Marcos formation clinic. 
  2. Make sure you can attend all three days including Friday.
  3. After the San Marcos clinic, if cleared to fly with the Caravan, then go register for the Caravan. Mooney Caravan Registration

The 182RG pilot would be better off flying with you in your Mooney. But it would be a question to ask Bucko. He would have to attend the San Marcos clinic and qualify with his airplane.

It's common to have Cirrus or even a Cherokee, Archer, Comanche fly with us. But mixing Low and High wing planes might be a bit difficult. We'd have to check with Bucko who is the Flight Ops Boss this year.

I assure you he will not be sitting in my plane. He is very adamant about informing me how his 300+ HP 182 is able to cruise at the same speed as my M20E. It's as if he is obsessed with Mooney Cruise speeds. If anything would tell him to fly higher to allow everyone have great visibility. Mainly it is the whole landing mess that would be ideal not to have to partake in.

4 minutes ago, bill98 said:

I assure you he will not be sitting in my plane. He is very adamant about informing me how his 300+ HP 182 is able to cruise at the same speed as my M20E. It's as if he is obsessed with Mooney Cruise speeds. If anything would tell him to fly higher to allow everyone have great visibility. Mainly it is the whole landing mess that would be ideal not to have to partake in.

Are you planning to ride with him in the 182, or are you both planning to fly your own airplane's to OSH?