GPS INTERFERENCE MILITARY EXERCISE...

Dreamlifter

That and it is a great way to make sure you dialed/typed in the correct frequency.  I have witnessed folks putting in the wrong LOC freq either by "memory" or being off by one approach plate initially.  My favorite question to ask while flying down a LOC final is "are how confident are you that you have the correct frequency dialed in?'  That is usually closely followed by "so how's your timing working out?"  Yep, I make them time on every approach.  It only takes once or twice before they realize that I usually won't ask them questions inside the FAF so long as they TIM and complete the 6Ts.  
My student yesterday flew 8 approaches, 3 were full procedure, 3 were circling, 2 were single engine, one was flown to a published missed and hold.  It was a combination of VORs, LOCs, ILS and RNAVs.  Not bad for a 150hr pilot trying to think at 200kts.  W logged 4.5 hours on two flights that included 2 drop-in locations and 2 full stop locations. He learned a valuable lesson on the final RNAV approach to a full stop.  Unlike the previous RNAVs of the day, he elected to skip the confirmation steps after loading the approach.  Who knew that it is difficult to fly a RNAV when the ILS is loaded into the GPS?  The clue light finally came on as were approaching the FAF and the name was wrong and the coupled AP did not descend on the VNAV profile.  I finally had to step in and reload the correct approach.  It was nice that we were in VMC conditions and the RNAV and ILS are near identical ground tracks, it kept me from being violated while still allowing him to learn the lesson.

So, I guess I should be glad Hannibal Lecter was my instrument instructor. Sounds like I went through less torture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

57 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

Thanks for the answers regarding DME source.  I suspected that distance on the 430 was unusable without GPS signals, but now I know for sure.

Don’t forget, you can always use ATC to ID DME points for you if you are in radar contact.   Just let them know you need that service and they will periodically let you know your distance to station.  Practice it.  They will probably put you on a separate com frequency.  After that, go practice an ASR approach.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

So, I guess I should be glad Hannibal Lecter was my instrument instructor. Sounds like I went through less torture. emoji38.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It's not that bad, and after all my students are being paid to be here and it is their singular full time job.  We take them from 0 hours and in 12 months turn them into competent military pilots, so we have to push them pretty hard.  I get them at their 6 month mark and between 60-80 hours total time, that's when they start flying the Beech 400.  After graduation they are off to fly C-130/C-17/C-5 or KC-135/KC-10 among others.  

In addition to instruments, we teach them to fly low levels both single ship and in formation along with simulated airdrop and aerial refueling.refuel.thumb.jpg.68a39b74e04b0c721833fc31ef9fa3a5.jpg

• Like 3