Can someone identify this instrument?

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Looks like a memory aid device...

Do the center concentric knobs operate the hands individually?

One hand for heading, the other for altitude?

My 65C didn’t have one...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI.

Best regards,

-a-

Only the red needle can be moved... the white one stays Right dare... doesn't move when headings change either...

So I think it is a memory device like has been said before.  My panel in my 63 C model used to look just like yours.  What was there in my panel was a turn and bank indicator (the old needle and ball).  That was probably removed when they put in the turn coordinator and replaced with the device you see there now.

Just a thought.

Looks like an old school remote mag compass.  The rest of it should be in the back of the aircraft, perhaps dangling from the top.  White needle should point in direction of travel, red is like a heading bug.  In this case, it sounds like it's broken....

13 minutes ago, takair said:

Looks like an old school remote mag compass.  The rest of it should be in the back of the aircraft, perhaps dangling from the top.  White needle should point in direction of travel, red is like a heading bug.  In this case, it sounds like it's broken....

Hmmm... Sounds reasonable to me, and seems to fit considering the red needle is the only thing I can adjust and appears to be  a "bug" for something... I'll have to look into that... thanks!

Edited by MIR2018

I have one just like it in my Cessna 140 with a custom IFR panel built from scratch ca. 1980.  I have asked many old school pilots to identify it and they shrug their shoulders.  The only person who ever thought he knew whait is was Kevin Lacey of Airplane Repo fame ( a much better guy than the impression you get of him on that silly TV show.)  Anyway Kevin called it something and said they were used to set your next assigned heading.  When it works properly it acts as a compass, but mine is most unreliable.  I just consider it a conversation piece.

I will try to remember to get a picture and post it here.