Electric Fuel Pump

Where is a good place to get the electric fuel pump overhauled? Mine has gone inoperative in my 75 F.

Or get a replacement. Weldon Pump Part no. A 8153-A or A 8163-A. The part number is hard to read.

Thank you.

Edited by 75_M20F

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

Clean the filter that might be right next to the pump.   Clean the finger screen in the fuel servo while you are waiting for the return from Aeromotors

There is no fuel filter that I am aware of.  There is a screen in the gascolator which is between the tanks and the boost pump.  There may be an additional screen inside the servo that I am not aware of but if there is, it's likely not field serviceable.

There is no fuel filter that I am aware of.  There is a screen in the gascolator which is between the tanks and the boost pump.  There may be an additional screen inside the servo that I am not aware of but if there is, it's likely not field serviceable.

My Dukes had some kind of fuel filter. Just saw it the other day as I was moving some spare, unused parts to the airport and out of my house. I think it is about 5 or 6 inches long and about an inch in diameter. I’ll find it later today when I get out to the airport and see if that is what it was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Dukes had some kind of fuel filter. Just saw it the other day as I was moving some spare, unused parts to the airport and out of my house. I think it is about 5 or 6 inches long and about an inch in diameter. I’ll find it later today when I get out to the airport and see if that is what it was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I believe the filter you’re talking about is required by an AD.

Tom
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

For the dukes there is a SB that puts a filter right next to the fuel pump.   There is a finger screen in the fuel servo that is supposed to be serviced per the 100 hour/annual.  

3 hours ago, Yetti said:

For the dukes there is a SB that puts a filter right next to the fuel pump.   There is a finger screen in the fuel servo that is supposed to be serviced per the 100 hour/annual.  

You're correct about the servo, I've never been there when it's pulled, so I've learned something. I looked up the Dukes AD and the filter you mentioned is only needed on the 19A suffix Dukes pumps.  I am betting it was due to the potential for the carbon vanes breaking and going down stream. I don't think Dukes uses carbon vanes on any pump at this time. The alternate method of compliance is to install a different model number pump, no filter needed.

6 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Negative. 

NOTE: As an approved alternate to installing the Air-Maze fuel filter, as required by paragraph (a) above, the Dukes Model 4140-00-19A fuel pump can be replaced by a Dukes Model 1499-00-19 fuel pump.

You make  a good point backed up by the TCDS

Rev 52 24 of 58 2A3 VII. Model M20F (cont’d)Weight F.S. No further reduction permitted. (b) Spinner assembly, Hartzell 835-33...................................................................... 3.25 lbs. ................... -34.18 (c) Spinner assembly, Hartzell, 835-33P................................................................... 3.25 lbs. ................... -34.18 (d) Propeller governor, Hartzell, D-1-4 or D-1-6 or H-1 or H-1L ............................. 4.5 lb........................ -1.4 (e) Propeller governor, Edo Aire, 34828014............................................................. 3 lb........................... -1.4 (f) Propeller governor, McCauley, C290D5/T24...................................................... 2.75 lbs. ................... -1.4 Engines and Engine Accessories (Fuel and Oil System):

101. ....... Fuel Pumps (a) One, electric, Dukes, 4140-00-19A.............................................................. 1.91 lb. ..................... -1.5 (b) One, engine-driven P/N AC 5656696A, 6440160, GP5656999, Type JJ, 6440296, or 6441234..................................................................... 1.6 lbs. .................... -3.8

102. ....... Oil Radiator (a) Stewart-Warner, P/N 8432A or 8432E or 8432F or or 8432F1 or 8432L .................................................................................... 2.4 lbs. .............

I know for certain my F has a Weldon on it.   I think it also has the SB inline filter just past the pump also.     Another Factory mystery.

20150418_143033.thumb.jpg.c8ef3da9fcafc721cca87ed7f867c206.jpg

8 hours ago, Yetti said:

You make  a good point backed up by the TCDS

Rev 52 24 of 58 2A3 VII. Model M20F (cont’d)Weight F.S. No further reduction permitted. (b) Spinner assembly, Hartzell 835-33...................................................................... 3.25 lbs. ................... -34.18 (c) Spinner assembly, Hartzell, 835-33P................................................................... 3.25 lbs. ................... -34.18 (d) Propeller governor, Hartzell, D-1-4 or D-1-6 or H-1 or H-1L ............................. 4.5 lb........................ -1.4 (e) Propeller governor, Edo Aire, 34828014............................................................. 3 lb........................... -1.4 (f) Propeller governor, McCauley, C290D5/T24...................................................... 2.75 lbs. ................... -1.4 Engines and Engine Accessories (Fuel and Oil System):

101. ....... Fuel Pumps (a) One, electric, Dukes, 4140-00-19A.............................................................. 1.91 lb. ..................... -1.5 (b) One, engine-driven P/N AC 5656696A, 6440160, GP5656999, Type JJ, 6440296, or 6441234..................................................................... 1.6 lbs. .................... -3.8

102. ....... Oil Radiator (a) Stewart-Warner, P/N 8432A or 8432E or 8432F or or 8432F1 or 8432L .................................................................................... 2.4 lbs. .............

I know for certain my F has a Weldon on it.   I think it also has the SB inline filter just past the pump also.     Another Factory mystery.

20150418_143033.thumb.jpg.c8ef3da9fcafc721cca87ed7f867c206.jpg

Many vintage Mooney’s flying around with Weldon pumps retrofitted.  If you go back to your logs, I bet you can find when the installation occurred. 

• 1 month later...

I am reporting back after having my Weldon fuel pump overhauled by Aeromotors. Fuel pump was reinstalled and worked  for one day then went tits up, I had to have my mechanic remove it again and sent it back. I just received it back, lets hope it works this time.

Edited by 75_M20F

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

sad face.   sure it was the pump and not electrical circuit?

That was my first thought, (the electric circuit or the on off switch in the cockpit was perhaps the problem). My mechanic did some trouble shooting and determined the problem was a dead pump not the electric system as he was getting power at the pump wiring.

11 hours ago, 75_M20F said:

I am reporting back after having my Weldon fuel pump overhauled by Aeromotors. Fuel pump was reinstalled and worked  for one day then went tits up, I had to have my mechanic remove it again and sent it back. I just received it back, lets hope it works this time.

Any chance there was trash in the lines?   Were the lines flushed?   Could have taken it out the first and second time.   How are the fuel samples.