Attitude Indicator

lifendet

Often bearings wear, and the OH is quite simple...  not sure what causes a spinning AI and if there is collateral damage with that?

Garmin G5 is in the ballpark price wise... with an opportunity to have much more data than just AI....

Get a quote for the OH and compare to a new AI... they might be very close...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

15 minutes ago, OR75 said:

Before rushing into replacing and upgrading, you need to know if the AI drives any auto pilot. If it does, your upgrade options become a lot more limited or more expensive 

His does not drive an autopilot, it is just a regular vacuum driven AI

27 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Just out of curiosity, have people who've been installing the G5 been removing their VSI?  seems like that would open up extra panel space

I didn't.  I like having duplicates of all instruments except the ADI.  Makes partial panel a lot less partial. :D

When my ADI failed I went with the G5.  I just couldn't justify spending the money on an overhauled 40yr old piece of gear when the new G5 gave me redundant instruments in a new package.

Just out of curiosity, have people who've been installing the G5 been removing their VSI?  seems like that would open up extra panel space

I was happy to clear out real estate when I was able to move things to their electronic counterparts. I don’t know if the G5 depicts the VSI as numeric values or an analog (or both) but I really like seeing a real VSI number that an electronic version presents.

fdbafb6febebf5bed0ecc01036c515de.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On 2/6/2019 at 3:41 PM, lifendet said:

Can they be rebuilt or I need a new one? 

UPDATE....... Decided to investigate before spending and this was the result. Unfortunately even though I found some problems it didn't fix the AI. I started hearing air squeels and found it coming from the front of the AI. Guessing the seal for the glass housing in gone. 

20190207_154632.jpg

20190207_154749.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:08 AM, lifendet said:

600? That's the same price range of a new AI.

New ones are $1265. You can get rebuilt gyros from Spruce for about $750. And that's for a non-AP gyro. The autopilots are about $2500. You have a J and an autopilot. You cannot use a G5 with your autopilot.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

New ones are $1265. You can get rebuilt gyros from Spruce for about $750. And that's for a non-AP gyro. The autopilots are about $2500. You have a J and an autopilot. You cannot use a G5 with your autopilot.
What do you mean I can't use a G5 with my autopilot?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, lifendet said:

What do you mean I can't use a G5 with my autopilot?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What autopilot do you have? You should have a Centuary II or IV. Both need an attitude reference from your attitude indicator and won’t work with a G5 attitude indicator. You can use the G5 for your heading reference.

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

What autopilot do you have? You should have a Centuary II or IV. Both need an attitude reference from your attitude indicator and won’t work with a G5 attitude indicator. You can use the G5 for your heading reference.

I have the stec 55x......

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I would think you could locate one being pulled for an upgrade in the $250-350 range. Can’t see spending the long dollar for an air AI right now. 

I totally agree, but sitting around hoping and searching to find one means my Aircraft also is sitting around instead of flying. Both of which I hate. Then the possibility of the used AI breaking.