Dented Nose Truss

markejackson02

23 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I've never seen any actual pics.  I didn't realize the damage would be that extensive; I was expecting much smaller divots.  :o

That is way more than the norm, it doesn’t take much to have the truss be deemed unairworthy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

That is way more than the norm, it doesn’t take much to have the truss be deemed unairworthy

That's what I've read, and that's why I didn't expect it to be so extensive.  That probably took a little explaining by the linesman.  

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

I think the spec is than a 1/16" deep dent is unairworthy. Or ungroundworthy, whatever.

1/32” per M20J service manual 32-50-01. S/N 24-1464 on have stops which should be checked/adjusted at annual. 

2 hours ago, PT20J said:

1/32” per M20J service manual 32-50-01. S/N 24-1464 on have stops which should be checked/adjusted at annual. 

On the pre-buy for my aircraft, they found that the stops were cracked and the truss dented.  The seller (AAA) fixed it prior to the sale, but realize the stops aren't complete protection from someone really determined to screw up your nosegear.

4 hours ago, FloridaMan said:

image.png.6be434d752d3f6ac1e10cbc4070f9f99.pngimage.thumb.png.2be1008c63555d3bcdbf0ead0daa82b2.png

That is quite a dent!!!  When mine was damaged it was much much smaller than that.  Enough to warrant replacement, but really annoying because it was such a small dent.  I think I know the guilty party but I could not prove it so I ended up paying for the repair myself.

-Seth

I have had this kind of truss issues twice. If your taxing your plane and it seems like it's not turning as it usually should, then you compensate by tapping the brake to turn. Something is broken or damaged. It has happened to me twice. 

One by an FBO and one I think I did it with a gulf cart moving it off the fuel farm at my home airport.

660478283_MooneySteering.thumb.jpeg.ad7bdc5383d61203719b497dab47d33c.jpeg1873778734_MooneyRudderRod.JPG.7e42ecc70ea74e33fdd9efcb790ae348.JPG

Seems like everywhere I go, the FBOs have the nose wheel scooper upper tugs. I fly mostly on the west coast, but have some trips planned east later this year. I'm wondering if tugs that grab the nose gear are more prevalent in other parts of the country. 

1 minute ago, PT20J said:

Seems like everywhere I go, the FBOs have the nose wheel scooper upper tugs. I fly mostly on the west coast, but have some trips planned east later this year. I'm wondering if tugs that grab the nose gear are more prevalent in other parts of the country. 

You can’t trust those tugs. It needs a lazy Susan, not just a nose wheel scooper.  I see a number of nose wheel scoopers but very few lazy Susans.  If the nose wheel is locked in the tug it can overstress the truss. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lance Link said:

I was told $4500 all in here in expensive Northern California.

That's ridiculous.  Last one I replaced was from Lasar rebuilt for about 450 in parts. Exchange, I think. Don't recall the labor but probably a couple of hours should cover it.  EDIT If I couldn't get a rebuilt one, I would take mine to a good welding shop and have the dented section of tubing replaced. This should be legal as an owner produced part. Or, have my mechanic state that it was repaired in accordance with AC 43.13 and it is approved for return to service.

Edited by mooneyflyfast

• 1 year later...

Well, looks like I’m in the family of people who get to do this now. I just picked it up from the shop, but admittedly I don’t check this trust nearly as often as I should after I pick it up from places. I have no way to determine who did this. The shop was super nice, and I’m not One to name blame and less I know for sure where the blame lies. I guess I’m looking at about $1000?

C8BDC7E5-1EAF-46D7-9A03-F99E7F22C938.jpeg

0F452B9B-864B-486C-BF89-CE588C54ED00.jpeg

Just now, David Lloyd said:

About $950 for the truss from LASAR, plus shipping and returning your well-oiled old one, plus installation--a couple or 3 hours.

Well it certainly could be worse - lol - I’ve got a call in for them to call me back tomorrow. Thanks 

On 2/6/2019 at 7:54 PM, Lance Link said:

I was told $4500 all in here in expensive Northern California.

Far less (2019 number). I keep my old truss in the baggage and show the linemen a dented and perfect one. Also a sign goes on "Hand Tow ONLY, no Tug. Strictly avoid turning limits to prevent damage!

Contact for Truss Repair

Peyton Diaz l Office Manager
Specialized Aero, LLC 
2285 Airport Drive l San Marcos, TX 78666
(512) 392-4534 Ext: 002

Removed paint, then inspected and repaired damaged tubes and stops broken on Nose Gear Leg P/N 540004-503 IAW ERO SAS01 Rev. A.
Heat treated to 180 KSI Rc. 38.0 to 42.0.
1 X $750.00
$750.00
CORE DEPOSIT OF $150 -- REFUNDABLE AMOUNT UPON RECEIPT THE PASS OF INSPECTION OF CORE AT SPECIALIZED AERO FACILITY.
1 X $150.00
$150.00
SHIPPING OF TRUSS TO 418 AIRPORT RD., KENETT, MO 63857
1 X $19.02
$19.02
PROCESSING FEE FOR CC
1 X $27.5706
$27.57
Payment $946.59
Balance due $0.00

On 2/5/2019 at 11:02 AM, markejackson02 said:

Took N201TK in for the annual.  The nose truss had a pretty healthy dent on the left side.  I pull the plane out of it's hangar and turn it left to get on the taxiway.  I use a Bogert 5' towbar.  As far as I know, it hasn't been towed this year.  That would mean that I have put a 1/8" dent in the steel tubing just by using a manual towbar.  Is that really likely or possible?

Interesting....I'm going to keep my short ALUMINUM tow bar.

Believe me, it will bend before the truss will dent:D

• Like 1